Official Scott Drew Still Sucks Thread

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Official Scott Drew Still Sucks Thread

Post by pdub »

Could we have afforded both Gradey and Hunter?
How were David Booth's 2023-24 projections?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think we can afford whoever we want. The money is the money. It's not coming from KU.

Our money can't be much less than UK and Duke. It never has been a problem before (until the FBI thing and our bag guy got caught on a wiretap).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

While I think Gradey would have made more money staying ( in both whatever comp we would give him but much moreso I think an increase in draft stock ) it was clear he could make the leap.

I don't see that same deal from Furphy yet.
I get the standard NBA scout checklist and that a huge checkmark is based on his age but I could see him going into the draft expecting to be chosen around where some of these mocks have him ( 12th overall! ) and not getting picked until early 2nd round.

Mass Street Collective start budgeting pronto!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:36 pm While I think Gradey would have made more money staying ( in both whatever comp we would give him but much moreso I think an increase in draft stock ) it was clear he could make the leap.

I don't see that same deal from Furphy yet.
I get the checklist and that checklist is largely based in his age but I could see him going into the draft expecting to be chosen around where some of these mocks have him ( 12th overall! ) and not getting picked until early 2nd round.

Mass Street Collective start budgeting pronto!
I don't think Furphy does anything at an NBA level.

He may develop those skills in the NBA....but there is also a significant risk he doesn't develop as well as he would at KU and is out of the league in 24months.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:35 pm I think we can afford whoever we want. The money is the money. It's not coming from KU.

Our money can't be much less than UK and Duke. It never has been a problem before (until the FBI thing and our bag guy got caught on a wiretap).
It was mostly a joke.
We are the Yankees/Dodgers/Mets/Astros.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am more worried, right this second, about the freefall we're in, and how that would influence Furphy's decision.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:51 pm I am more worried, right this second, about the freefall we're in, and how that would influence Furphy's decision.
Why?

You think he'd be worried that we wouldn't be "good enough" for him to come back?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:53 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:51 pm I am more worried, right this second, about the freefall we're in, and how that would influence Furphy's decision.
Why?

You think he'd be worried that we wouldn't be "good enough" for him to come back?
I'm more worried about the general stink of it all. We're just not pointed toward an outcome that, from the outside anyway, would seem to pump someone up about coming back.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:15 pm Shooters are necessary for success with how the game is played today.
Which is why, despite KJs many talents, and undersized 4 like him is also hard to build an offense around, and partly of the reason we struggle to score at times
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Grady made the right decision in leaving. Furphy is not as polished, his decision is riskier, and he benefits more from coming back
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:15 pm Shooters are necessary for success with how the game is played today.
Which is why, despite KJs many talents, and undersized 4 like him is also hard to build an offense around, and partly of the reason we struggle to score at times
I don't think I'm disagreeing with you at all here: I think you "build" around a guy like KJ by using him to create that malleable, shape-shifty quality that all of Bill's best teams have had. The ability to play any style, to win games in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s.

In other words, in my opinion, he's a guy who is significantly MORE valuable than just his individual talent suggests, if the rest of the pieces are right.

On this team, they are not.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm
But we aren't building an offense "around" Kj. We built an offense around HD and KM.

Last year we built an offense around Jalen and Gradey. 1 seed.

The year before that we built an offense around Och CB and DMac. National champion.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm
Why?

I'm more worried about the general stink of it all. We're just not pointed toward an outcome that, from the outside anyway, would seem to pump someone up about coming back.
I guess.
We're still a top 15 team and a likely 3 seed - that's not Kansas good but still enviable for most programs.

The other angle is Self has taken guys who had production like Furphy ( once introduced into the starting line up ) and made AA's out of them for a while running.

( specifically off ball guards three seasons in a row )
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm

Why?

I guess.
We're still a top 15 team and a likely 3 seed - that's not Kansas good but still enviable for most programs.

The other angle is Self has taken guys who had production like Furphy ( once introduced into the starting line up ) and made AA's out of them for a while running.
I hear ya. His case feels the MOST, to me, like Oubre's. That doesn't mean "exactly the same".
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think Oubre really wanted to be here - it was a pit stop.
Not sure if I get that vibe from Furphy.

If Furphy is a sophomore ( err 2nd year player feels more appropriate nowadays ) at KU and puts up 18.5 and 7.1 would anyone be surprised?

And then, if you're not surprised, do we think that puts him in the 1st team AA convo?

And then finally, if those things happen, do we think he's a lotto lock?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:17 pm I don't think Oubre really wanted to be here - it was a pit stop.
It'll feel very pit stoppy to me if he leaves after this season.

We discovered him at some NBA Australia thing iirc.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:19 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:17 pm I don't think Oubre really wanted to be here - it was a pit stop.

Well sure.
He just seems to be enjoying his time here more than Oubre ever did.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

kelly oubre did not leave much of an impression on me. so i don't recollect caring much when he moved on.

the same will be said if furphy moves on in a few weeks.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:21 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:19 pm

Well sure.
He just seems to be enjoying his time here more than Oubre ever did.
I'm not sure how we'd know. Furphy has very little social media presence. So we basically get a few random post game interviews.

Time will tell. No reason not to test the waters, so delcaring seems like a foregone conclusion...what happens after that will be telling.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Feels like chances we have JF back are like 45% and the chances we have HD back are like 60%.