SOTU 2024

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: SOTU 2024

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 am You know there's no IVF ban, right?
Ok. Go tell your party that that's the messaging approach here.

Really, please do.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I don't even know what that means.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:13 pm I don't even know what that means.
As someone interested in seeing the GOP lose every single election until at least such time as it breaks, or it breaks up with MAGA, I would absolutely love the campaign messaging to be "well, actually, Alabama did not ban IVF."

Please please PLEASE fight the good fight there.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'd rather watch randy and lobster have an informative "do your own research" seminar or two seals slap each other with cucumbers than watch these 2 numbnuts try to have a debate that would be more fitting for a senior center cafeteria

how can this be the best we can do?
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:07 pm I'd rather watch randy and lobster have an informative "do your own research" seminar or two seals slap each other with cucumbers than watch these 2 numbnuts try to have a debate that would be more fitting for a senior center cafeteria

Don't threaten ME with a good time.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:07 pm I'd rather watch randy and lobster have an informative "do your own research" seminar or two seals slap each other with cucumbers than watch these 2 numbnuts try to have a debate that would be more fitting for a senior center cafeteria

Notwithstanding you may have a good point, that's no way to talk about DC and jfish.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:18 pm
As someone interested in seeing the GOP lose every single election until at least such time as it breaks, or it breaks up with MAGA, I would absolutely love the campaign messaging to be "well, actually, Alabama did not ban IVF."

I honestly am not following.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:05 pm

In my opinion, the Rs will be fighting a pyrrhic battle (at best) by contesting as a messaging matter what the court’s decision does or does not do.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:07 pm

In my opinion, the Rs will be fighting a pyrrhic battle (at best) by contesting as a messaging matter what the court’s decision does or does not do.
Or, as some people say, the latest chapter in the adventures of the dogs who caught the car.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Again, I don't follow. I mean...the court made an overreaching decision, the GOP legislature passed a bill addressing it (although imperfectly), and the GOP governor signed the bill into law. 2 of the 3 IVF clinics that halted operations have reopened.

What am I missing?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:39 pm I think that'd be better directed at him.
If someone formed their opinion of Joe based on how you and Fox News portray him, I'd wager they're a bit surprised.

Worst polling SOTU in 25 years.

But...OK.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:35 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:39 pm I think that'd be better directed at him.
If someone formed their opinion of Joe based on how you and Fox News portray him, I'd wager they're a bit surprised.

Worst polling SOTU in 25 years.

But...OK.
^^^

There's no question Biden did terrible, and didn't meet anyone's expectations. (Never mind the Biden campaign had its best fund-raising hour ever right after the speech, until the next hour exceeded it.)

One need only listen to what these neutral, unbiased observers, think:

Polls? Polls?

It would be disingenuous not to give your party props for its nearly half-century long devotion to turning anyone who disagrees with your Christo-Fascist agenda into the enemy. Congratulations are also in order to Rupert and Roger Ailes for their devotion to promoting unremitting lies and propaganda "flooding the zone with shit" for decades, in service to the cause. And now, with social media as a tool and amoral traitors like Republican party cult leader Trump openly asking Putin to hack his Democratic opponents, Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, et al are only too happy to pry at any and every of the many cracks and divisions Republican fascists have so actively pursued in your mania to gain and hold onto power at any cost, it becomes hard to imagine that a poll asking Americans if they agree that the sky is blue getting > 50%.

All hail the Republican Trump cult!

Yesterday in North Carolina we heard that Trump is still president but that Obama is in charge.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:29 pm

Again, I don't follow. I mean...the court made an overreaching decision, the GOP legislature passed a bill addressing it (although imperfectly), and the GOP governor signed the bill into law. 2 of the 3 IVF clinics that halted operations have reopened.

What am I missing?
The point.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:19 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 am
zsn wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 pm

Still think he’s “Sleepy…..”?
More than anything he struck me as if his handlers made him chug Mountain Dew all afternoon in anticipation of NOT appearing sleepy

Even then, he still had moments he looked as if he could doze off, augmenting the “Kramer with a lifetime supply of caffe lattes” energy.

Trying. Too. Hard. I would have expected that response from mich, randy or illy…….and Sean Hannity.

The simplest and accurate answer would be “we were wrong about the caricature that we had created”. I guess most people are not secure enough in their intellect for that.
Without insulting anyone’s intellect, I think the bigger caricature was the performance by Biden. It was out of the ordinary for him. It seemed as if his handlers coached him to go out there and show everyone just how energetic he can still be. Now raise your voice and talk real fast!

Obviously, I’m not exactly Biden’s biggest fan. But I at least prefer his day-to-day demeanor more than the SOTU shtick.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:53 am
zsn wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:19 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 am

More than anything he struck me as if his handlers made him chug Mountain Dew all afternoon in anticipation of NOT appearing sleepy

Even then, he still had moments he looked as if he could doze off, augmenting the “Kramer with a lifetime supply of caffe lattes” energy.

Trying. Too. Hard. I would have expected that response from mich, randy or illy…….and Sean Hannity.

The simplest and accurate answer would be “we were wrong about the caricature that we had created”. I guess most people are not secure enough in their intellect for that.
Without insulting anyone’s intellect, I think the bigger caricature was the performance by Biden. It was out of the ordinary for him. It seemed as if his handlers coached him to go out there and show everyone just how energetic he can still be. Now raise your voice and talk real fast!

Obviously, I’m not exactly Biden’s biggest fan. But I at least prefer his day-to-day demeanor more than the SOTU shtick.
If it was especially important that you behave in a certain manner at a certain time for your job, wouldn't you do that? Are going to sit up there delivering half baked cornball social media meme one liners in a speech to you bosses, peers and clients? No.

You're doubling down on people calling you out for your lazy put down by saying you'd rather he just get up there in a State of the Union speech watched all over the world by American citizens, our allies and our enemies and just chat like it's an everyday thing.

Come on.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Are going to sit up there delivering half baked cornball social media meme one liners in a speech to you bosses, peers and clients? No.

actually, that's a pretty good way to describe the SOTU.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is beyond irresponsible for the Post and NYT to keep pumping up Trump. The elevation of Lara Trump to the GOP ATM control levers has killed the party for anone who actually cared about conservatism. Biden was epic on the SOTU. Only the land-line knuckle draggers answering unidentified calls are being polled. I just need the Post to report on the indictments and dementia of Trump and the dangers he poses. There is no "upside." He is surrounded by an autocratic cesspool of morons.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:52 am Are going to sit up there delivering half baked cornball social media meme one liners in a speech to you bosses, peers and clients? No.

actually, that's a pretty good way to describe the SOTU.
I know you are here to be the counter argument, but Trump is an insane threat not to be normalized by smugness.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:49 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:29 pm

What am I missing?
The point.
I guess.

I think this resonates with a subset of voters who wouldn't vote GOP in this or any November regardless. But...maybe that's just me.