SOTU 2024

Ugh.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: SOTU 2024

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:29 am It is beyond irresponsible for the Post and NYT to keep pumping up Trump. The elevation of Lara Trump to the GOP ATM control levers has killed the party for anone who actually cared about conservatism. Biden was epic on the SOTU. Only the land-line knuckle draggers answering unidentified calls are being polled. I just need the Post to report on the indictments and dementia of Trump and the dangers he poses. There is no "upside." He is surrounded by an autocratic cesspool of morons.
Correct! The media must do as the regime says! To protect Muh Democracy (TM)!
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:57 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:35 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 pm

If someone formed their opinion of Joe based on how you and Fox News portray him, I'd wager they're a bit surprised.

Worst polling SOTU in 25 years.

But...OK.
^^^

There's no question Biden did terrible, and didn't meet anyone's expectations. (Never mind the Biden campaign had its best fund-raising hour ever right after the speech, until the next hour exceeded it.)

One need only listen to what these neutral, unbiased observers, think:

Polls? Polls?

It would be disingenuous not to give your party props for its nearly half-century long devotion to turning anyone who disagrees with your Christo-Fascist agenda into the enemy. Congratulations are also in order to Rupert and Roger Ailes for their devotion to promoting unremitting lies and propaganda "flooding the zone with shit" for decades, in service to the cause. And now, with social media as a tool and amoral traitors like Republican party cult leader Trump openly asking Putin to hack his Democratic opponents, Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, et al are only too happy to pry at any and every of the many cracks and divisions Republican fascists have so actively pursued in your mania to gain and hold onto power at any cost, it becomes hard to imagine that a poll asking Americans if they agree that the sky is blue getting > 50%.

All hail the Republican Trump cult!

Yesterday in North Carolina we heard that Trump is still president but that Obama is in charge.
Copium is a helluva drug.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:42 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:49 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:29 pm
Again, I don't follow. I mean...the court made an overreaching decision, the GOP legislature passed a bill addressing it (although imperfectly), and the GOP governor signed the bill into law. 2 of the 3 IVF clinics that halted operations have reopened.

What am I missing?
The point.
I guess.

I think this resonates with a subset of voters who wouldn't vote GOP in this or any November regardless. But...maybe that's just me.
At this point I’m wondering if we’re even talking about the same thing. Because you seem puzzled by what I’m saying, and…well, likewise.

In my opinion, the loss of a “subset of voters” by way of Dobbs has cost the GOP dearly at the ballot box - and I don’t think this is really debatable.

And in my opinion, trying to rehabilitate the GOP’s reputation with that subset of voters by saying “well, actually, the Alabama court’s decision was only SOMEWHAT as bad as you think” is creating a battle on ground the GOP can’t even play to a draw on (and certainly cannot begin to recover ground on without doing something it ALSO can’t do, which is punting whackadoo religious right money into outer space).

All of this, to me, is a perfect illustration of the bill coming due.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:43 am
Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:29 am It is beyond irresponsible for the Post and NYT to keep pumping up Trump. The elevation of Lara Trump to the GOP ATM control levers has killed the party for anone who actually cared about conservatism. Biden was epic on the SOTU. Only the land-line knuckle draggers answering unidentified calls are being polled. I just need the Post to report on the indictments and dementia of Trump and the dangers he poses. There is no "upside." He is surrounded by an autocratic cesspool of morons.
The regime, my dear DC, are actually oligarchs trying to gut democracy. The government would have a pro-government stance. But diners in upstate NY always sound like Bezos and Musk when interviewed by the NYT
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

trying to?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:21 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:49 am

The point.
I guess.

I think this resonates with a subset of voters who wouldn't vote GOP in this or any November regardless. But...maybe that's just me.
At this point I’m wondering if we’re even talking about the same thing. Because you seem puzzled by what I’m saying, and…well, likewise.

In my opinion, the loss of a “subset of voters” by way of Dobbs has cost the GOP dearly at the ballot box - and I don’t think this is really debatable.

And in my opinion, trying to rehabilitate the GOP’s reputation with that subset of voters by saying “well, actually, the Alabama court’s decision was only SOMEWHAT as bad as you think” is creating a battle on ground the GOP can’t even play to a draw on (and certainly cannot begin to recover ground on without doing something it ALSO can’t do, which is punting whackadoo religious right money into outer space).

And I still can’t help but think Biden and the dems’s best move is to do something, anything, everything they can to appeal to pro-choice voters with actual materially substantive pro-choice initiatives and policies. (Rather than just more rah rah rhetoric and social media talking points)

Otherwise, the messaging really does sound as silly as going from, “vote for us cuz you know what they’ll do to women’s rights otherwise!” to, “vote for us again cuz you saw what they did to women’s rights on our watch anyway!”
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:38 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:43 am
The regime, my dear DC, are actually oligarchs trying to gut democracy. The government would have a pro-government stance. But diners in upstate NY always sound like Bezos and Musk when interviewed by the NYT
Wait.

Is this a parody acct.?

Fuck.

Got me again, Park.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

What if they go to the voters and tell them the truth, i.e. "The court overreached and we addressed that overreach through the legislative process"?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I guess Trump was right when he told his cultists not to believe what they see and hear, after all.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:05 pm
What if they go to the voters and tell them the truth, i.e. "The court overreached and we addressed that overreach through the legislative process"?
And this is exactly my point. All you achieve there is drawing attention on the margins to an issue that is poisonous at the core; for example, Judge Seven Mountains is still right where we left him.

That’s why I say, as someone interested in the GOP losing and losing and losing until it breaks up or breaks with MAGA, by all means please do try to convince voters that things aren’t as bad as they seem.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

she gets it
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:00 pm
she gets it
Just another Republican abandoned by the Republican Party.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:00 pm
she gets it
No shit, that's excellent.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:00 pm

I guess.

And I still can’t help but think Biden and the dems’s best move is to do something, anything, everything they can to appeal to pro-choice voters with actual materially substantive pro-choice initiatives and policies. (Rather than just more rah rah rhetoric and social media talking points)

Otherwise, the messaging really does sound as silly as going from, “vote for us cuz you know what they’ll do to women’s rights otherwise!” to, “vote for us again cuz you saw what they did to women’s rights on our watch anyway!”
Like what? What "...something, anything, everything..." do you expect Biden and the dem's to do when they don't have a majority in the house?

What?
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

giggle
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno…

Something?

Anything?

Everything?

I know like building a coalition or reaching across the aisle or whatever is not an option, not cuz Biden can’t bbut cuz pubs won’t, right.

How bout trying to anyway then publicly shaming pubs? (Maybe Biden and dems have, in which case, please point this out cuz I’m not familiar)

How about tying it to draconian border reform?

Oh! How bout just sidestepping congress and throwing EOs at it like it’s bombs for Israel?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/3 ... medium=web

I heard this story on the radio as I was driving to work and thought the same thing - is this real or an SNL sketch!

The press is lazy and derelict in their responsibilities.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:00 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:05 pm
And this is exactly my point. All you achieve there is drawing attention on the margins to an issue that is poisonous at the core; for example, Judge Seven Mountains is still right where we left him.

That’s why I say, as someone interested in the GOP losing and losing and losing until it breaks up or breaks with MAGA, by all means please do try to convince voters that things aren’t as bad as they seem.
Part of the problem here, I think, is that you're conflating terms and sub-ideologies.

You think "traditional Republicans" -- i.e. those who opposed Roe v Wade for 50 years, who coined the label "Pro-Life," and who use the phrase "from conception to natural death" -- will IMPROVE their electoral status by breaking up with Donald Trump, who has said explicitly that he favors a 15-week ban, which polls significantly better than either of the two extremist positions (including Biden's position, restoring the Roe status quo)?
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas