SOTU 2024

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: SOTU 2024

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:55 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:02 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:07 am

I assume you are referring to this (see link below) but when you say "idiot" I am inclined to think you may be talking about Boobie Boebert, Neanderthal Green, Nestor's Daddy, or one of the other younger faces of the Republican Party.

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/08/state- ... er-charged

or are you referring to this?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/pol ... 891340007/
Need a postable gif of this one.

https://x.com/timjhogan/status/17659452 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
Hard to decide if Marge or Mike Johnson was Biden's best straight man.
Marge violated Congressional rules by wearing clothing supporting a political candidate during official Congressional proceedings.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, so “Austin 3:16” is a political candidate?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 am
zsn wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:49 pm

He's delivering a bad speech well.

Except for all the yelling.
Still think he’s “Sleepy…..”?
More than anything he struck me as if his handlers made him chug Mountain Dew all afternoon in anticipation of NOT appearing sleepy

Even then, he still had moments he looked as if he could doze off, augmenting the “Kramer with a lifetime supply of caffe lattes” energy.

Trying. Too. Hard. I would have expected that response from mich, randy or illy…….and Sean Hannity.

The simplest and accurate answer would be “we were wrong about the caricature that we had created”. I guess most people are not secure enough in their intellect for that.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:49 pm

He's delivering a bad speech well.

Except for all the yelling.
More than anything he struck me as if his handlers made him chug Mountain Dew all afternoon in anticipation of NOT appearing sleepy

Even then, he still had moments he looked as if he could doze off, augmenting the “Kramer with a lifetime supply of caffe lattes” energy.

Only because you expected him to be sleepy and foggy.

Biden did fine. He was energetic and passionate. He had some self deprecating humor, which I always enjoy and find to be a charming sign of a person with high self confidence and likeability. He has never been a great public speaker as many of us can relate to. Not everyone can stand up and deliver powerful, well spoken speeches. It doesn't mean he isn't smart and capable.

Biden has had a lifelong stutter and trips over some words. He is a bit old and in a job where you have a massive volume of information and names poured over you all day, every day (that is, if you choose to actually receive that information unlike his predecessor). Overall, I came out of last night feeling better about Biden. He did better than I braced myself for and I liked the increased amount of fight he had.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:31 am

Biden did fine. He was energetic and passionate. He had some self deprecating humor, which I always enjoy and find to be a charming sign of a person with high self confidence and likeability. He has never been a great public speaker as many of us can relate to. Not everyone can stand up and deliver powerful, well spoken speeches. It doesn't mean he isn't smart and capable.

Biden has had a lifelong stutter and trips over some words. He is a bit old and in a job where you have a massive volume of information and names poured over you all day, every day (that is, if you choose to actually receive that information unlike his predecessor). Overall, I came out of last night feeling better about Biden. He did better than I braced myself for and I liked the increased amount of fight he had.
Just makes me more confident that the right play is to be front-and-center about wanting to debate. I do NOT believe Trump will do it either way, but I think it would be a massive strategic error to give Trump any daylight for characterizing his own justifiable-cowardice as Biden's choice.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:44 am does katie britt have a side hustle doing political attack ads during election season?

goodness, y’all

:lol:
I can only conclude that the GOP is so bankrupt from funding its nominee's 8-figure monthly legal bills (to say nothing of his half-a-bil-and-running judgments) that it didn't have a single professional consultant to say "uh, guys, this is a no for me."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:36 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:31 am

Just makes me more confident that the right play is to be front-and-center about wanting to debate. I do NOT believe Trump will do it either way, but I think it would be a massive strategic error to give Trump any daylight for characterizing his own justifiable-cowardice as Biden's choice.
Frankly, it removed my concerns about Biden in a debate. Trump is an incompetent ninny with a mountain of baggage that can be attacked all night. With them taking the reigns off of Biden a bit and encouraging him to attack Trump more, I think he would do better than Trump, whose only winning play is to throw poop at the wall like a monkey to try to fluster Biden into also saying something dumb since everyone already expects Trump to say nothing but dumb things.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:38 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:44 am does katie britt have a side hustle doing political attack ads during election season?

goodness, y’all

I can only conclude that the GOP is so bankrupt from funding its nominee's 8-figure monthly legal bills (to say nothing of his half-a-bil-and-running judgments) that it didn't have a single professional consultant to say "uh, guys, this is a no for me."
I am just waiting for the internet to edit a green screen behind her so she is nothing but a weird floating head and hands.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:47 am

goodness, y’all

I am just waiting for the internet to edit a green screen behind her so she is nothing but a weird floating head and hands.
I get it - but I also think the Dems should use it, as it was, every single day to hammer home how the GOP thinks of women.

I cannot FATHOM how a party whose biggest liability is with women's issues...thought it would be a good idea to make the optics of its rebuttal, a woman in a kitchen.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:02 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:47 am

I get it - but I also think the Dems should use it, as it was, every single day to hammer home how the GOP thinks of women.

I cannot FATHOM how a party whose biggest liability is with women's issues...thought it would be a good idea to make the optics of its rebuttal, a woman in a kitchen.
Then again, they're Christo-Fascist Republicans, so what should we expect?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the wife was spot-on - said last night that vanessa bayer should reprise her spot on SNL just to do a britt skit
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am the wife was spot-on - said last night that vanessa bayer should reprise her spot on SNL just to do a britt skit
I had to look Vanessa Bayer up, but yes, your wife was spot on!

I've been seeing references to how Britt will be a character on SNL this weekend. Seems like a given.

Ron Filipkowski has put together a compilation of reactions to Britt's rebuttal. It's pretty funny, and hard not to keep scrolling and reading.

Even MAGA Hated Katie Britt's Speech What a disaster.

Alabama Senator Katie Britt delivered an epically bad response to President Biden's State of the Union speech last night. So bad, even MAGA Republicans who desperately wanted to love it couldn't bring themselves to try and spin it positively.

To begin with, the atmospherics played into Democratic messaging that Republicans want all women to be married, christian, and in the kitchen - and she put all three on display wearing a cross on her necklace and delivering the speech in her kitchen. While there is nothing negative about any of that as an individual choice, Republican politicians have been pushing all women to conform to that when most have no interest in being told how they should live their lives by Republicans.

Britt's speech also weirdly alternated between bubbly cheerfulness, then concern, then fake anger, then fake outrage, sometimes all within the span of five seconds, leading many to compare her performance to someone auditioning for a high school play for the first time. Naturally, people on the Left were going to criticize her speech. But most surprising was right-wing reaction, where they simply couldn't hide their disappointment.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'll be honest, when I heard about the profile of the rebuttal speaker, I thought that maybe the GOP was smartly going to use her to course-correct 180 degrees away from the Alabama IVF ban stuff.

Uh, nope.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

You know there's no IVF ban, right?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

You realize that calling an embryo a living person is fraught with legal issues for you if you have genetics on ice?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 am You know there's no IVF ban, right?
And?
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:32 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 am You know there's no IVF ban, right?
And?
take it up wif fish, k?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:23 pm You realize that calling an embryo a living person is fraught with legal issues for you if you have genetics on ice?
Call me a pedant, but in medicine they're known as "extrauterine children". (Said no physician with any credibility, ever.)

An Alabama Supreme Court ruling that frozen embryos can be considered "extrauterine children"
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

that girl that gave the talk after old uncle is cute.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"