Recruiting

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Recruiting

Post by ousdahl »

But let’s face it:

pdub was gonna give Hunter the kiss of death no matter what.

It’s pdub’s shtick.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:45 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm

I was talking with, we'll say, an old friend about this stuff.

From his first few games on the floor, CB had what Elmarko - at least in terms of what he's shown here on the floor - does not. His instincts (BBIQ) were just off the goddamn charts, and it was IMMEDIATELY obvious.
Agree.

And a career 38% 3pt shooter.

His competitive streak is allowing him to excel in the NBA.
He's also SO much bigger and more athletic than maybe some think/know.

It would not surprise me at all if he ends up being the third- or even second-most-impactful NBA guy over Bill's time here.
Embiid.

Then a big gap. Then Wiggins. Then probably Chalmers?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:45 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 pm
Agree.

And a career 38% 3pt shooter.

His competitive streak is allowing him to excel in the NBA.
He's also SO much bigger and more athletic than maybe some think/know.

It would not surprise me at all if he ends up being the third- or even second-most-impactful NBA guy over Bill's time here.
Embiid.

Then a big gap. Then Wiggins. Then probably Chalmers?
Or Marcus. But I think CB will almost certainly pass everyone but Embiid and Wiggins - and I think he can pass Wiggins in impact (not counting stats obviously).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

lol at Q calling out anyone....anyone for a schtick.

also, not everybody was surprised at CBs development, it was fairly obvious he had the intangibles that were going to make him an impactful player.

Q is just....Q.

Also, yes, CB did have some on court antics that I didn't particularly enjoy and Pdub called out often, the difference, to me anyway, is that his antics seemed to come more out of passion/competitiveness and less out of "look at me and how awesome I am". Hunter just looks like a damn selfish fool in his "celebrations".
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:40 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:31 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:18 pm Ousdahl said CB had low ceiling.

Still makes me laugh every time I watch CB in the NBA playing well.
Lol good call ous
How quickly we forget how meh sophomore CB was

spot-up shooter but not even a great shooter and prone to playing timid to boot…meh

Credit him and the program, as his development surprised everyone.

I’m well-documented as having eating that crauw by now. And it was delish.

But leave it to illy to never let it go anyway.

Don’t feed the troll, randy.
Sounds like pdub and yesefu
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:01 pm lol at Q calling out anyone....anyone for a schtick.

also, not everybody was surprised at CBs development, it was fairly obvious he had the intangibles that were going to make him an impactful player.

Q is just....Q.

Also, yes, CB did have some on court antics that I didn't particularly enjoy and Pdub called out often, the difference, to me anyway, is that his antics seemed to come more out of passion/competitiveness and less out of "look at me and how awesome I am". Hunter just looks like a damn selfish fool in his "celebrations".
And if CB did those things on a team that was firmly pointed to finishing the year 10-10?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:24 pm in this new era. now that they are employees rather than my classmates. liking them is no longer important. just win.
this. It's a bonus if they also end up being players that I like. It's requirement that they come out and play hard the vast majority of the time they are out there. Failure to do that leads to me not liking a guy far more than how he got here or what kind of person he is. I don't know any of these guys and I doubt their interview persona is a full glimpse of who they really are.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

CB and his entire family are likable people.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:55 pm "...because likeability is personal and subjective."

Certainly.
But there should easily be clarity on why someone would go, "I don't like Hunter Dickinson" in 2024 compared to say "I like Ochai Agbaji" after 2021 before the title ( despite oof 2019, cheated out of 2020 and oof 2021 ).

Not really a leap here.
On the floor, Christian Braun did even more of Hunter's shit than Hunter does. But he is not reviled by our own fans the way that Hunter is - despite Hunter even being objectively the much better player.
No way.
Not junior year Braun.
And if you recall, I hated his bow and arrow celebration his freshman year.

And the effort Braun put on the floor? Come on. Not even close.
Floor burn energy.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:06 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:01 pm lol at Q calling out anyone....anyone for a schtick.

Q is just....Q.

And if CB did those things on a team that was firmly pointed to finishing the year 10-10?
we'll never know

I will say, CB had more refuse to lose, tough it out in him than anyone on this team. Was it all him? Of course not.

I will say that, I don't think we lose at WVU or at UCF or KSU if you put Braun on this team. I dont think we lose by 29 at Texas Tech. His give-a-shit meter was far higher than the average on this team.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i am a fan of his mother. i don't know why. but i am.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

" and Pdub called out often"

Right.
Braun certainly wasn't my favorite player of that bunch.
You all know how much I loved DMac. And Ochai.

And largely it was because of his antics.

But he wasn't a douchebag like Hunter. He put it all on the floor. Not a good comparison imo.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 am
which suggests (to me anyway) that the root issue isn't a chemistry/effort/heart issue, but a winning issue.
I think this statement demonstrates a chicken or egg argument.

Also, winning fixes these things because media reports on winning more than losing, and for some reason, people will dismiss ‘bad’ things their team does when they are being gratified.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:15 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:55 pm "...because likeability is personal and subjective."

Certainly.
But there should easily be clarity on why someone would go, "I don't like Hunter Dickinson" in 2024 compared to say "I like Ochai Agbaji" after 2021 before the title ( despite oof 2019, cheated out of 2020 and oof 2021 ).

Not really a leap here.
On the floor, Christian Braun did even more of Hunter's shit than Hunter does. But he is not reviled by our own fans the way that Hunter is - despite Hunter even being objectively the much better player.
No way.
Not junior year Braun.
And if you recall, I hated his bow and arrow celebration his freshman year.

And the effort Braun put on the floor? Come on. Not even close.
Floor burn energy.
I love CB to death, competitive-prickness and all. My opinion is that he was even more of an asshole on the floor than Hunter is, and that's saying something, because Hunter's an asshole on the floor.

It's also my opinion that comments about Hunter's supposed lack of effort overlook the realities of his size and our depth (and that Hunter is being punished on this item, too, for things that many other Bill guys have been given fan-passes on).

He's not a victim. He brought this - and brings it - on himself. He made choices and he's suffering the obvious consequences of those actions.

But he's just not, in my opinion, all that different from other guys who haven't caught NEARLY this much flak.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We have differing opinions.
( beyond this "He's not a victim. He brought this - and brings it - on himself. He made choices and he's suffering the obvious consequences of those actions" )
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Hunter was bound to be hated whether he deserves it or not. Most lifetime college basketball fans HATE the recent changes in the game cause by the NIL/transfer portal. And in a lot of ways hunter represents that to this fan base
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:53 pm We have differing opinions.
( beyond this "He's not a victim. He brought this - and brings it - on himself. He made choices and he's suffering the obvious consequences of those actions" )
Ok - and I want to say, out loud, that I appreciate the conversation.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:56 pm Hunter was bound to be hated whether he deserves it or not. Most lifetime college basketball fans HATE the recent changes in the game cause by the NIL/transfer portal. And in a lot of ways hunter represents that to this fan base
A lot of truth to this but I cannot reiterate enough that I think he, outside of the central issue I have with NIL and he being the poster boy for it, is not a likable player.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Q is just....Q.

if you ever suffer from ED, just think of Ousdahl. Because you sure do have a hard on for him.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:09 pm CB and his entire family are likable people.
twocoach will try to have you believe that CB was disliked by fellow KU students.