Recruiting

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Recruiting

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:05 pm If I knew we weren't paying players 2 million dollars to come here, give me 8 seed season, followed by 4 seed season, followed by 1 seed season -- hanging onto upperclassmen.

Udeh, Bryce Thompson, Zuby, Pettiford - still on the roster - plus other guys who'd have come bc we didn't fill spots with transfers.
why’d you throw bryce thompson in there? am i forgetting something?

he seemingly didn’t really want to be here, and had arguably NOT improved much at all since he left
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think recruiting McCullar may have had a hand in his leaving.
I also think he'd have been better here than he has been at OSU.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think Bill and company have spoiled us with success to some extent. But one thing he has done over the years is make adjustments to the college basketball landscape. The KU staff just got a little behind the curve on the latest recruiting dynamics and will learn from it. They had some bad breaks this time around.

My biggest beef is lack of 3 point shooters. When you look at who left and who is here there's not a lot of sharp shooters there. It's clear that you need to have a consistent threat from outside if you want to excel.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Kinda wonder if Self’s affinity for running everything thru an old school post has kinda run its course. Or something.

Or if we woulda been better running everything thru Hunter this season if Hunter wasn’t so frequently double teamed. That’s to say, if defenses actually had to put more attention to guarding our perimeter guys rather than collapsing on the post. (Or, maybe Hunter just really is that soft…sigh)

And watching last night and at least KJ look serviceable as a post scorer makes me wonder how much of that will be our offense next year. Guess it depends on what the personnel ends up being and stuff
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If we had a healthy Kevin, Hunter and Grady Dick, running things through diamond boi would have us needing one more win in the B12 tourney to lock the overall 1 seed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:59 pm If we had a healthy Kevin, Hunter and Grady Dick, running things through diamond boi would have us needing one more win in the B12 tourney to lock the overall 1 seed.
I believe that would already be locked up.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In this world, we go undefeated non con and are 29-3 with losses to Texas Tech, Iowa State and Houston.
We share the B12 title with Houston but our non con is just better than theirs.
UConn still does UConn things and they could still win their tourney.

30-3 with the extra quad 1 TCU win snags it for us.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:51 pm In this world, we go undefeated non con and are 29-3 with losses to Texas Tech, Iowa State and Houston.

I'm not seeing three conference losses. But I'm also assuming Bill would let Gradey shoot it to 30 feet.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:44 pm Kinda wonder if Self’s affinity for running everything thru an old school post has kinda run its course. Or something.
How come nobody has told Self he doesn't know how to coach anymore?

These keep getting better and better.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:27 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:51 pm In this world, we go undefeated non con and are 29-3 with losses to Texas Tech, Iowa State and Houston.

I'm not seeing three conference losses. But I'm also assuming Bill would let Gradey shoot it to 30 feet.
Having GD would also allow KM to play more of a facilitator role, which he thrives in.

Early in the season our ball movement was excellent because our big 4 are all exceptional (and willing) passers. But once KM and HD cooled off from 3 we haven't been able to produce the same results.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:31 pm

Having GD would also allow KM to play more of a facilitator role, which he thrives in.

Early in the season our ball movement was excellent because our big 4 are all exceptional (and willing) passers. But once KM and HD cooled off from 3 we haven't been able to produce the same results.
I think our offense would be IMPOSSIBLE with the kind of spacing GD would provide.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:32 pm

I think our offense would be IMPOSSIBLE with the kind of spacing GD would provide.
Would people still complain DH doesn't shoot enough?

He'd never need to shoot with KM Furphy Dick and HD out there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kevin, Dick, Furphy, KJ, Diamond Dickinson.

Sorry Dajuan, Kevin is now point.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:33 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:32 pm

Would people still complain DH doesn't shoot enough?

He'd never need to shoot with KM Furphy Dick and HD out there.
Well we have established that he's a good shooter when wide open and can measure his release time with an hourglass.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

So leaving fantasy land, we have a good recruiting class for next year, but I don't know that any of them are good 3 point shooters. Will have to hit the portal for a shooter or 2.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Great video.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

One thing that needs fixing is that the transfer portal opens in…48 hours.

What good is served by that? Because I see a lot of bad.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:10 am One thing that needs fixing is that the transfer portal opens in…48 hours.

What good is served by that? Because I see a lot of bad.
it's already open. The shooting guard from Penn announced he was entering the portal last week and the article said he'd already been contacted by about a dozen schools.....Including Kansas.

There was an article about it on......either the phog or espn
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am the article said he'd already been contacted by about a dozen schools.....Including Kansas.
Not sure how I feel about that tbh. Mixed feelings.