Recruiting

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Recruiting

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:10 am One thing that needs fixing is that the transfer portal opens in…48 hours.

What good is served by that? Because I see a lot of bad.
it's already open. The shooting guard from Penn announced he was entering the portal last week and the article said he'd already been contacted by about a dozen schools.....Including Kansas.

There was an article about it on......either the phog or espn
Huh. Maybe I heard it on a podcast that was previously taped (thought I'd heard it on the radio).

I'm a supporter of players having the same freedom to move (or the freedom to contract out of that freedom) that most of us have. But I think it's terrible for everyone involved for this to be the timing. I can't see who or what good is served by this timing.

Feels like the portal should be a Memorial Day weekend-ish thing, after the season is over, after the high school recruiting process has largely settled (but before 2025 high school recruiting is really at peak summer activity), and - ya know - after the prospective transferees have come through exams and completed the full academic year.

(I'm somewhat familiar with busted "hiring" processes; my industry (which requires a three-year graduate program) hires (and prospective new folks accept offers) on the basis of one semester of data.)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:32 am
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:10 am One thing that needs fixing is that the transfer portal opens in…48 hours.

What good is served by that? Because I see a lot of bad.
it's already open. The shooting guard from Penn announced he was entering the portal last week and the article said he'd already been contacted by about a dozen schools.....Including Kansas.

There was an article about it on......either the phog or espn
Huh. Maybe I heard it on a podcast that was previously taped (thought I'd heard it on the radio).

I'm a supporter of players having the same freedom to move (or the freedom to contract out of that freedom) that most of us have. But I think it's terrible for everyone involved for this to be the timing. I can't see who or what good is served by this timing.

Feels like the portal should be a Memorial Day weekend-ish thing, after the season is over, after the high school recruiting process has largely settled (but before 2025 high school recruiting is really at peak summer activity), and - ya know - after the prospective transferees have come through exams and completed the full academic year.

(I'm somewhat familiar with busted "hiring" processes; my industry (which requires a three-year graduate program) hires (and prospective new folks accept offers) on the basis of one semester of data.)
there's nothing good about it. In general.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:21 am
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am the article said he'd already been contacted by about a dozen schools.....Including Kansas.
Not sure how I feel about that tbh. Mixed feelings.
you shouldn't feel good about it.

There was a list of the other schools that had contacted him....they weren't great.

Also...he shoots 42% from 3!

He's Nick Timberlake.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I think the transfer portal for basketball opens Monday the 18th.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:24 pm I think the transfer portal for basketball opens Monday the 18th.
We know we are recruiting it, but the question is... do we lose anyone to the portal?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

of course we do, it's open every year unrestricted free agency. Anyone and everyone is free game. It's all a farce.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

yes we will have multiple guys enter the portal.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4liYuNv4Rg ... Via3d3cGlx

We've also reached out to a UT-Martin wing. Yay?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:28 pm yes we will have multiple guys enter the portal.
Who are we expecting
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Jamari and Themarko
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm waiting for something really crazy to happen like a player like Furphy says they're coming back and then a Duke type buys them for several million dollars and they use their free transfer.

That'll kill it for me.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:30 am Jamari and Themarko
I hope not, I can see Elmarko leaving because someone else says he'll play 30 minutes a game. I like him though.

I reallt like Jamari, hope he sticks it out.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 am https://www.instagram.com/p/C4liYuNv4Rg ... Via3d3cGlx

I mean, Knecht is at least a helpful balance to examples like Timberlake.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:31 am I'm waiting for something really crazy to happen like a player like Furphy says they're coming back and then a Duke type buys them for several million dollars and they use their free transfer.

That'll kill it for me.
Furphy is in a NIL gray area, but were I spending money on NIL, I’d negotiate contractual mechanisms that protect me from a guy leaving for another school.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

furphy had one good month in a JAYHAWK uniform. He has not earned a big payday.

but, if some school wants to lure him away with their riches. more power to him/them.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:30 am Jamari and Themarko
Sure hope not. There's opportunity here. Mccullar and Timberlake are gone. Furphy is probably back but maybe not

I could see jamari entering if we get commitments from people in the portal
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'd like to keep jamari around. But I wouldn't say he's super talented. But he'd be a good program guy I'd he sticks it out
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:14 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 am https://www.instagram.com/p/C4liYuNv4Rg ... Via3d3cGlx

I mean, Knecht is at least a helpful balance to examples like Timberlake.
Absolutely.

And, with a full scholarship count next year, the extra depth will be nice.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:24 pm furphy had one good month in a JAYHAWK uniform. He has not earned a big payday.

but, if some school wants to lure him away with their riches. more power to him/them.
Not your money (I presume) or mine. I just want him back.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:17 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:31 am I'm waiting for something really crazy to happen like a player like Furphy says they're coming back and then a Duke type buys them for several million dollars and they use their free transfer.

That'll kill it for me.
Furphy is in a NIL gray area, but were I spending money on NIL, I’d negotiate contractual mechanisms that protect me from a guy leaving for another school.
I'm not sure you can? NIL can't technically be tied to participating at a certain school from what I understand.