Official Jayhawks Begin Their Run -- See Ya Cinnci

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: Official Jayhawks Begin Their Run -- See Ya Cinnci

Post by AlOerter »

Hard for us KU fans that are used to watching good basketball.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

At some point do we wonder if Self still cares?

I mean,
He brought in guys who shot high percentages from 3 other places and they can't shoot at KU.
He can't seem to get his players to close out on shooters in situations where it's just effort.
He can't get his athletic 4 man to give a damn about getting defensive rebounds.
His McD All-American looks completely frightened every time he's touching the ball or has to guard someone.
His best NBA prospect doesn't seem to have the ability or the green light (we don't know) to try to create for himself.
Everyone was shooting ok and then went completely cold from 3 - if it was one or two guys that'd be one thing, but it's everyone, and they're missing when wide open.

Bill maybe put life in perspective better. Health matters more. If that's the case, good for him.

But this team is a disaster and dammit, it's not a talent issue. We've lost to a bunch of less talented teams.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Jayhawkerr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:48 pm Bill Self deserves plenty of blame for this pathetic season
Absolutely
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

I'm angry and that's why I should stop posting but I am also stupid and impulsive so I continue to do so. Last one tho.

KJ Adams's inability (complete unwillingness?) to get defensive rebounds and the entire team (minus Juan and Kevin) refusing to close out on three point shooters - are things I would expect a good coach to correct. These two things are killing us all year. They aren't physical issues, they are coachable. And the coaches don't seem to have done shit.

Sorry, I am just mad because I really love Kansas Basketball and the effort - not the talent, the effort - is just infuriating.

Yeah, if they could shoot it'd cover up the problems some. But Self took much lesser programs much further. And I seriously question after his health issues if he really still has it in him.

</emotional-illogical-knee-jerk-reaction>
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Lol @ all the Bill Self comments
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:25 pm I'm angry and that's why I should stop posting but I am also stupid and impulsive so I continue to do so. Last one tho.

KJ Adams's inability (complete unwillingness?) to get defensive rebounds and the entire team (minus Juan and Kevin) refusing to close out on three point shooters - are things I would expect a good coach to correct. These two things are killing us all year. They aren't physical issues, they are coachable. And the coaches don't seem to have done shit.

Sorry, I am just mad because I really love Kansas Basketball and the effort - not the talent, the effort - is just infuriating.

Yeah, if they could shoot it'd cover up the problems some. But Self took much lesser programs much further. And I seriously question after his health issues if he really still has it in him.

</emotional-illogical-knee-jerk-reaction>
look man,

Hunter has celebrations to work on and perfect,

there's Freddy's burgers and Raisin Canes ad shoots to practice for; those lines and poses aren't gonna just happen on their own,

so what if they miss a little practice time, or have to move practices, so what if they maybe don't know where to be on a defensive rotation, so what if they lose 3 games by 20+ pts in the same season? They got their bag right? isn't that all that matters?

Never before has a Kansas team put together these kinds of NIL numbers. Winning.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:10 pm At some point do we wonder if Self still cares?
I think he cares.

I think he and the staff have taken a step back in the ability to recruit the right players.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I personally think his shift in mentality, which of course makes sense, also has negatively impacted his teams growth.

It’s not just a talent issue. We have plenty of talent compared to other b12 schools.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:48 am I personally think his shift in mentality, which of course makes sense, also has negatively impacted his teams growth.

It’s not just a talent issue. We have plenty of talent compared to other b12 schools.
Wut?

If it’s not a talent issue and a shift in mentality, then do you mean to say Self’s coaching plan was, “fuck it, go out there and clank a bunch of shots”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self and co’s coaching plan all season.
I very much believe a regimen and a mentality over a period of time can change your team for the better. Practices. Meetings. Adjustments in and out of games.

ie I believe coaches aren’t just guys who gather some dudes at the beginning of the season and go “welp I sure hope I picked the best ones”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Do I think we’d be better with our two best players healthy?
Duh.
Do I think Bill Self is still a top coach in CBB?
Also duh.

Do I think Bill Selfs shift in how he treats the season attributed to more than one loss?
Yes. No way to prove that but yes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What shift?

What’s different about how he’s treated this season?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Thoughts.....
89-84 W against Kentucky = Thought this team would be great.
73-59 L against Marquette = Thought maybe this team isn't as good as I thought it was going to be.
69-60 W against Tennessee = Thought this team is great - in regards to finding a way to win.
69-65 W against UConn = Thought this team is great - in regards to finding a way to win.
91-85 L against West Virginia = Thought this team is beatable by any average or above average team.
78-65 W against Houston = Thought this team was as good if not better than any/every other team in the country.
79-50 L against Texas Tech = I thought McCullar or not, this team could be in big trouble in regards to winning 2 or 3 (let alone 6) tournament games if Hunt Dick has an off night.
Last 2 loses = I thought are excusable in regards to them being losses but the manner in which we lost are inexcusable.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:48 am I personally think his shift in mentality, which of course makes sense, also has negatively impacted his teams growth.

It's not "just" a talent issue. I agree, I think Self's fire for the coaching game is fizzling out. Just like it has for so many great coaches with the changing of the times. Saban. Wright. They're all saying the same things.

But a big part of it is talent. We are definitely not the most talented team in the big 12. That's rare.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

The players are pussies. I think the word soft is what is used most in the media. So maybe not pussies, but flaccid dicks.

At least HD seems to fit the dick mold perfectly.

Perhaps to escape this flaccidity, they can assume the role of TDub, and think of Ousdahl. Instant hard on. Fortunately, too, they only need to stay hard 2 hours, which is only half as long as the danger zone for such products.

Really, though, this team just isn’t very good. But as Pdub’s (I think post) says, they’ve been back and for the much of the season….well until a few weeks ago.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I just ranted about (mostly) shooting in the Dajuan thread, but yea, the bigger grievance is flaccidity.

We lack toughness, lack poise, lack focus, lack competitiveness, lack leadership.

I can comparatively live with cold shooting, cuz shooters can and will go cold...especially when they're not even "shooters."

but it's the bonehead mistakes and hesitancy and not even seeming to want it that sucks the most.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:21 am What shift?

What’s different about how he’s treated this season?
He talks about it here.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 00630.html
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

22 points 9/14, 64% from the field (Didn't miss any 3's)

They should know better than to interview KJ right after he's been reading this thread:

KJ Adams breaks down his stellar performance in KU's loss to Cincinnati
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

For all of those saying the money has changed how the players play and care. Fuck off. We all get paid to do what we do (a few of us may actually love our work like athletes love their sport, generally).

This said, and I’ve said this before…these 18-22 (26) year olds are making more than most of us here now, so I, for one, and holding them more accountable for results and less apt to do the aww shucks they are just kids.

If they do read these boards, grow a pair you and play to the level to which you are being paid. Real world
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

"Avoid social media"

It's disappointing to see so many Kansas fans being rude towards the KU players on social media. Too many keyboard warriors out there like Q talking shit to the players.

That's not supposed to be a Kansas thing.