NCAA Tournament 2024

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by DeletedUser »

I think Cal is an elite recruiter.

I think Cal is the best in the game at preparing elite players for the NBA.

He's certainly not bad Xs ans Os....but it's more of a philosophy than a system.

Self is a system.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

cal is now nothing more than salesman

he used to coach D

he’s gotten soft…drank too much of his own koolaid
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

John Calipari before his lifetime contract:

305-71 overall (.811)
23-4 SEC Tournament
31-8 NCAA Tournament

John Calipari since his lifetime contract:

105-52 overall (.669)
1-4 SEC Tournament
1-3 NCAA Tournament

John Calipari gives himself FAR too much credit for the NBA success of his former players. The vast majority of them would have had the exact same amount of success had they chosen a different college for their one season in ncaa hoops.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

"I'll look at other ways that we can do stuff, but, you know, there's -- this thing here, it's a different animal," Calipari said. "We've been able to help so many kids and win so many games and Final Fours, national titles and all this stuff, win league championships with young guys.

"It's changed on us. All of a sudden it's gotten really old. So we're playing teams that our average age is 19, their average age is 24 and 25. So do I change because of that? Maybe add a couple older guys to supplement."

The process to rebuilding from another early March exit begins immediately after losing to Oakland, Calipari said.

"We've got to figure out who's coming back and who's not. We got this transfer stuff going on," said Calipari, who has been at the helm of the Wildcats since 2009. "We may not need it. We have an unbelievable group coming in that I feel really good about.

"We add some guys and they stay. I mean, you know -- I'm going to -- I'll meet with them tonight. I talked to them after. But I'm going to meet with them in my room tonight, and these guys took this really hard. I mean, they took it really hard, and I took it hard."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i think he forgets that he was hired first and foremost to win college basketball games
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:18 am The vast majority of them would have had the exact same amount of success had they chosen a different college for their one season in ncaa hoops.
I disagree. Impossible to know. I think he's very good at helping their transition, even if only for a year or two. Stylistically and mentally, I think he really helps them. He gets most of the guys to buy in and be good teammates. He's got 2 top 10 picks on his team who don't even start.

It's not the same as developing non NBA players into NBA players like Self has done with guys.

Dillingham and Sheppard weren't top 5 recruits. He's helped, at least partly, develop them into top 10 picks.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:25 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:18 am The vast majority of them would have had the exact same amount of success had they chosen a different college for their one season in ncaa hoops.
I disagree. Impossible to know. I think he's very good at helping their transition, even if only for a year or two. Stylistically and mentally, I think he really helps them. He gets most of the guys to buy in and be good teammates. He's got 2 top 10 picks on his team who don't even start.

It's not the same as developing non NBA players into NBA players like Self has done with guys.

Dillingham and Sheppard weren't top 5 recruits. He's helped, at least partly, develop them into top 10 picks.
Sheppard shot 50% from 3 this season. That is why he is the NBA Draft prospect he is. Are you telling me that he onky shot that well because he went to Kentucky? Or that if he had gone to Tennessee and shot 50% that he wouldn't get drafted as high?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

No, I do not think Sheppard would be having as much success at Tennessee.

No need to go any further down this road. You can give him as much or as little credit as you want.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:

take cal’s balls out of your mouth
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i wonder how many times a single player has even attempted 20+ 3s in a tourney game?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Meanwhile on ESPN: do jet have pieces to go all the way.

Maybe they’ve been covering tourney, I don’t know. But sitting down and turning on and seeing this as first talked about news story.

Meh.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I never thought K was either tbh."

I didn't like Coach K but come on.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:40 am Meanwhile on ESPN: do jet have pieces to go all the way.

Maybe they’ve been covering tourney, I don’t know. But sitting down and turning on and seeing this as first talked about news story.

Meh.
they covered uk and cal, and then caitlin clark…that’s about it (first take kinda sucks though)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:41 am "I never thought K was either tbh."

i chuckled when i read it
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:42 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:40 am Meanwhile on ESPN: do jet have pieces to go all the way.

Meh.
they covered uk and cal, and then caitlin clark…that’s about it (first take kinda sucks though)
Last year I had to unfavorite women’s basketball as ESPN forced it to the front when I opened anything last year during tourney. That was only way to take back control of my stuffs to view.

So obnoxious
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:41 am "I never thought K was either tbh."

Great at Xs and Os? That's what we were talking about right?

I think he was a good Xs and Os coach. Not elite like Self Izzo etc.

He had great players and was a great coach. I think his best assets as a coach were creating a winning culture that players bought into and being an extremely motivational leader. As well as a great recruiter.

I watched Self coach circles around him enough times to think Self is a superior Xs and Os coach.

I think K was closer to Roy Xs and Os wise than he is to Self.

But we're talking the elite of the elite here. Those guys only get compared to each other. They're all far superior at every aspect of coaching than the vast majority of coaches in existence..
Last edited by DeletedUser on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Qusdahl wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:12 pm
Jayhawkerr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:04 pm Cal is explaining the loss on TBS
Before or after the reruns of King of Queens and Yes Dear?
I’ve watched 22 straight episodes of impractical jokers since the end of our game! It’s just can’t stop watching tv!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 am cal is now nothing more than salesman

he used to coach D

he’s gotten soft…drank too much of his own koolaid
I mean, the game is fundamentally the same as always: to make deep runs and win championships, you need to win lots of games. To win lots of games, you need lots of talent and skill, and you need the pieces and play style to all fit each other.

The coach's job is to make all that work within the environment of any given five-ish-year period.

Will Cal adjust to THIS particular period? We'll see.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:46 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:42 am

Meh.
Last year I had to unfavorite women’s basketball as ESPN forced it to the front when I opened anything last year during tourney. That was only way to take back control of my stuffs to view.

So obnoxious
i’ve long thought that espn has a chip on its shoulder since they don’t get to cover the men’s side
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I don’t know if it’s a chip on its shoulder. It’s a business decision to put forward the things it makes money off of the most. Easy to understand business model.

Unfortunately they control sports news, programming, and editorial more than one entity should.