Reviews

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Reviews

Post by pdub »

It has to stop.
Go the opposite way.
Each coach gets two challenges. No other reviews. Ever.

Let the game flow.
DeletedUser

Re: Reviews

Post by DeletedUser »

Something. They review tons of plays that don't matter, but can't review the play that probably cost Samford the game.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:07 am Something. They review tons of plays that don't matter, but can't review the play that probably cost Samford the game.
There's no way you can say it "Probably cost Stamford the game".

It was KU up 1 and a loose ball up for grabs. Odds in KU's favor
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Additionally just a minute before one of their players attacked the basket out of control and wasn’t touched and got sent to the line.

This is more stopping the flow of the game. Make the coaches decide when to call out the really important bad calls.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

mjl2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:11 am
DeletedUser wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:07 am Something. They review tons of plays that don't matter, but can't review the play that probably cost Samford the game.
There's no way you can say it "Probably cost Stamford the game".

It was KU up 1 and a loose ball up for grabs. Odds in KU's favor
The ball went right to their guys.

I am comfortable making the assumption we lose that game if they don't blow the whistle there. We were in collapse mode. Blowing a 20pt lead.

But oh well. Bad calls happen all game long.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I once cleanly blocked a driving layup from behind in junior high. Best play of my season. Two shot foul called. The mistake is thinking a guy who was beaten on defense get should get a call. You want to bitch at the refs, but weakly jumping late--from behind!!--after a guy scorched your ass is not exactly 1972 Olympic Quality screwage.
Last edited by Sparko on Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwh69ku

Post by lwh69ku »

I wish they’d get rid of the possession arrow, do real jump balls again, and make any call that can’t be determined in a 15 second review (like did it graze one dude’s pinkienail out of bounds) a jump ball.

The shit like the clock froze for 10 seconds at 18:04 left in the game can be fixed the next media timeout, if the shot clock didn’t start, make it out of bounds with 20 seconds like a foul and move on.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:06 am It has to stop.
Go the opposite way.
Each coach gets two challenges. No other reviews. Ever.

Let the game flow.
It's tough - the sentiment behind what you say is right. It's ALSO true that you'd inevitably have games or even championships swing on obviously-wrong black-and-white calls.

It's not football, where there is a brief (but game-flow) window for a staff to look at something. Staff is also at (or even below!) floor level.

I'm just sort of throwing up my hands here - there's no clear answer, to me, and whatever spot you pick on the spectrum is going to be partially-bad.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Use your challenges wisely.
Especially in a title game.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The big problem with the challenge thing, is that sure it wasn't a foul, but if there is no clear recovery of the ball (there was last night, but in general, once the whistle blows it's dead), then what? Jump ball? Challenging live ball plays seems impossible.

Bad calls are part of the game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:06 am Use your challenges wisely.
Especially in a title game.
I would think losing challenges should simply cost you a timeout (and if you "call a timeout" when you don't have one, it's a technical foul).

That would make sense to me.

A hard cap doesn't; if you win two challenges, why should you be punished by the THIRD egregious call?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I am fine with reviewing 3s vs 2s, or clock things, or out of bounds.

I think it's hard to start challenging things like a block that called a foul.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:19 am I am fine with reviewing 3s vs 2s, or clock things, or out of bounds.

I think it's hard to start challenging things like a block that called a foul.
I agree that it needs to be black-and-white stuff only. You absolutely CANNOT get into the business of reviewing judgment calls.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

It seemed like the game took way longer to play than an ordinary regulation game. I didn't notice the actual start time but seems like it took longer than usual. I know some of the crew (Charles and Kenny) were calling for a rule change because of one play in one game, but I had to agree with Clark that adding another category of reviewable plays isn't the answer.

1 play doesn't make a game and as pdub has demonstrated it wasn't the only late call of consequence. You simply can't start reviewing whether a foul should or shouldn't be called.

Also we were long overdue a break at that point in the game since everything seemed to be going Samford's way.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

lwh69ku wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:32 am I wish they’d get rid of the possession arrow, do real jump balls again, and make any call that can’t be determined in a 15 second review (like did it graze one dude’s pinkienail out of bounds) a jump ball.

The shit like the clock froze for 10 seconds at 18:04 left in the game can be fixed the next media timeout, if the shot clock didn’t start, make it out of bounds with 20 seconds like a foul and move on.
If the referees didn't suck so bad at tossing the ball up, I might agree with you.

But they do,
so I don't.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

AlOerter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:21 am It seemed like the game took way longer to play than an ordinary regulation game. I didn't notice the actual start time but seems like it took longer than usual. I know some of the crew (Charles and Kenny) were calling for a rule change because of one play in one game, but I had to agree with Clark that adding another category of reviewable plays isn't the answer.

1 play doesn't make a game and as pdub has demonstrated it wasn't the only late call of consequence. You simply can't start reviewing whether a foul should or shouldn't be called.

Also we were long overdue a break at that point in the game since everything seemed to be going Samford's way.
Longer TV stoppages is what I think Self mentioned the other day.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The game ended more than three hours AFTER its scheduled tip time. Nutso.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am The game ended more than three hours AFTER its scheduled tip time. Nutso.
It started 20-30min late right? So maybe 30min longer than usual games?

That's actually a positive from the TV revenue side of things. So there's that.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am The game ended more than three hours AFTER its scheduled tip time. Nutso.
It's turning into baseball, before the 20-second clock.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas