Goodbye Hunter Dickinson

Kansas Basketball.
painter

Re: Goodbye Hunter Dickinson

Post by painter »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:19 pm He's not going anywhere. We're stuck with an unathletic center that puts up offensive numbers and ruins your defense
Hudy could fix this, but she ain't here no more :D
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

painter wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:01 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:19 pm He's not going anywhere. We're stuck with an unathletic center that puts up offensive numbers and ruins your defense
We've only won one NC since Hudy left. Jussayin.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm not convinced she was any better than nijem. Hudy was good, so is he. But hudy got a tonnnn of hype, stemming from the fact she was a woman in a field dominated by men
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:23 pm
Well, probably a good thing. Bidunga looks very raw in this McDonald's game.
Yes. He is. But I think it's easier for a back up center to be effective as a raw athlete, than say a guard (like elmarko as a raw freshman)

All bidunga needs to do is be athletic and play with good energy. Run the floor rebound contest shots and set screens
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:20 am
I'm not convinced she was any better than nijem. Hudy was good, so is he. But hudy got a tonnnn of hype, stemming from the fact she was a woman in a field dominated by men
Shocking, this take. Glad I was sitting down.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:25 am
Yes. He is. But I think it's easier for a back up center to be effective as a raw athlete, than say a guard
Agreed.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we want hd back for one more season. we need hd back for one more season.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 am we want hd back for one more season. we need hd back for one more season.
This is going to be taken the wrong way, but: with KJ back, yes.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:40 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 am we want hd back for one more season. we need hd back for one more season.
This is going to be taken the wrong way, but: with KJ back, yes.
I want HD back. He's better than anything we've got in the works.

I'd like to pair him with Omoruyi.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:32 am
I'm equally as shocked that you are the one butthurt. It's just a realistic take. Did hudy did a good job? Yes absolutely. But has nijem been just as good? I think so. And yet he's never talked about while she was constantly.

You might even argue nijem has been better. Look at the results of guys like udoka, McCormack, agbaji, Wilson

For the record I'm not complaining one bit about her work. She did a hell of a job. But nijem worked with professionals and is doing just as good, maybe better
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Yes. He is. But I think it's easier for a back up center to be effective as a raw athlete, than say a guard (like elmarko as a raw freshman)

All bidunga needs to do is be athletic and play with good energy. Run the floor rebound contest shots and set screens
You guys are basing your assessment that he is raw on what? 1 game? Or that he's 18 or 19 years old? Or that.....
I'm asking because my guess is he is very raw but......
If am not mistaken, in his state championship game he put up 31 points, 19 rebounds, and 8 blocks.
If I were to assess him based on one game I might conclude the kid is a beast ready to jump directly to the NBA.
So....
Maybe he can be, and is, both at the same time?

I hope for his sake and KU's sake, he is in beast mode for KU in 2024/2025 and earns himself a spot as a lottery pick in the 2025 draft.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:03 am

You guys are basing your assessment that he is raw on what? 1 game? Or that he's 18 or 19 years old? Or that.....
I'm asking because my guess is he is very raw but......
If am not mistaken, in his state championship game he put up 31 points, 19 rebounds, and 8 blocks.
If I were to assess him based on one game I might conclude the kid is a beast ready to jump directly to the NBA.
So....
Maybe he can be, and is, both at the same time?

I hope for his sake and KU's sake, he is in beast mode for KU in 2024/2025 and earns himself a spot as a lottery pick in the 2025 draft.
Watching film. Putting up numbers doesn't mean he's got a refined game. He's just bigger and more athletic than his competition
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Raw talents make up most the nba draft though, so that doesn't mean he won't be a one and done
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:32 am

I'm equally as shocked that you are the one butthurt. It's just a realistic take. Did hudy did a good job? Yes absolutely. But has nijem been just as good? I think so. And yet he's never talked about while she was constantly.

You might even argue nijem has been better. Look at the results of guys like udoka, McCormack, agbaji, Wilson

For the record I'm not complaining one bit about her work. She did a hell of a job. But nijem worked with professionals and is doing just as good, maybe better
"butthurt" behavior is going out of your way to make a political point where none needed to be made.

I also would, ah, maybe NOT point to Wilson as a strength-and-conditioning success story. Love the guy, but he's got to be one of the only modern 1st Team AAs 6'8" or taller without a single dunk in his 1st Team AA season.

And maybe I missed one, or even two. But the point remains - the man was successful despite being a relatively poor athlete.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Jalen Wilson was massive by the time he left kansas. The dude was ridiculously strong that's why he could drive downhill at will, despite not being a naturally explosive athlete

He's absolutely a strength and conditioning success story
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

bickering about the athletic trainer. must be the offseason.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:31 am bickering about the athletic trainer. must be the offseason.
Fish has a long history of getting worked up if you say something obviously true but not pc. Hudy was really good at her job. Nijem is really good at his job. One almost never gets mentioned, the other people would never shut up about. Rarely do strength and conditioning coaches get much public praise or broadcast time

Not hard to piece it all together
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:47 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:31 am bickering about the athletic trainer. must be the offseason.
Fish has a long history of getting worked up if you say something obviously true but not pc. Hudy was really good at her job. Nijem is really good at his job. One almost never gets mentioned, the other people would never shut up about. Rarely do strength and conditioning coaches get much public praise or broadcast time

Not hard to piece it all together
Your Righteous Indignation is glowing this morning
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Hudy was great for her time. But she also failed to adapt quickly enough when it became apparent that we were prioritizing form (get big and strong) over functional athleticism. Withey is a great example - he was an injury-riddled bust until we stopped trying to turn his body into something it was simply not designed to be.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:34 am
Yes. He is. But I think it's easier for a back up center to be effective as a raw athlete, than say a guard
Agreed.
I think there's something to that. Thinking about De Sousa. He came in halfway through the season and struggled early, but then figured out to just go after rebounds and look for lobs and he was really good.

Then the next season he started thinking and stunk pre-suspension.

I think Kansas bigs' value follow the Dunning Kruger curve, but with the initial peak a bit lower than the eventual one.