Re: Welcome Riley Kugel

Post by DCHawk1 »

Finally, some ink.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:52 pm Finally, some ink.
You're happy about this? :?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Fear god
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

hmmm, attitude? Scoring? aren't there better alternatives in the portal, or are we no longer able to land the best?

"By the same time the following year, though, he was coming off the bench or at times not playing at all. The AP recently wrote of Kugel that as a sophomore, “he often looked lost on the court and disengaged on the bench. TV cameras caught him brushing off teammates and coaches. Coach Todd Golden had him coming off the bench by the end of December and playing fewer and fewer minutes the deeper the Gators got into the season. He eventually ended up out of the mix and clearly out of favor.”

https://www2.kusports.com/sports/colleg ... ley-kugel/
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Mmmm, kugel
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this just seems strange

premature, and strange

edit: perhaps i should reserve judgement…

Kugel, a native of Orlando, Florida, averaged 9.2 points and 3.5 rebounds per game for the Gators as a sophomore during the 2023-24 season, a slight scoring downturn after a breakout first year that had earned him NBA Draft attention and Southeastern Conference all-freshman honors.

The 6-foot-5 guard picked the Jayhawks as his new team over a prestigious set of finalists that included Arizona, Houston and UConn, a group he had revealed on Thursday.
Last edited by KUTradition on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:52 pm this just seems strange

premature, and strange
I was surprised.

Hopefully a change of scenery improves his attitude. Sounds like he checked out last year at some point.

We've still got a lot of scholarships left to give out. I expect our portal entries to announce soon if there are any guys leaving. Not sure if Elmarko or Jamari will get to stay or not. It sounds like both "want" to stay at KU, so if they announce otherwise it'll feel like a forceout to me.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:55 pm

premature, and strange
I was surprised.

Hopefully a change of scenery improves his attitude. Sounds like he checked out last year at some point.

We've still got a lot of scholarships left to give out. I expect our portal entries to announce soon if there are any guys leaving. Not sure if Elmarko or Jamari will want get to stay or not. It sounds like both "want" to stay at KU, so if they announce otherwise it'll feel like a forceout to me.
you’re putting an awful lot of stock in their public comments right after their loss (unless i’ve missed something)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:07 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:55 pm

premature, and strange
I was surprised.

We've still got a lot of scholarships left to give out. I expect our portal entries to announce soon if there are any guys leaving. Not sure if Elmarko or Jamari will want get to stay or not. It sounds like both "want" to stay at KU, so if they announce otherwise it'll feel like a forceout to me.
you’re putting an awful lot of stock in their public comments right after their loss (unless i’ve missed something)
Maybe too much. Although I think Elmarko's were before we lost, but I get your point.

Either way, my gut instinct says both want to come back to KU. Clemence too.
KJHGUY

Post by KJHGUY »

Rock chalk jayhawk 🔴🔵
IAM Doning BIG THING YOU DIGG
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Highlight video....

https://youtu.be/VSgeRRz31Bw?si=VyeO94bCz5ZT5B2o

He looks good in highlights. Nice shot and ability to drive.

He does do a lot of posing after shots....so there's that. He won't be everyone's cup of tea.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

"The Kansas men’s basketball team picked up its first transfer of the offseason on Easter Sunday when former Florida guard Riley Kugel announced that he will join the Jayhawks next year.

Kugel, a native of Orlando, Florida, averaged 9.2 points and 3.5 rebounds per game for the Gators as a sophomore during the 2023-24 season, a slight scoring downturn after a breakout first year that had earned him NBA Draft attention and Southeastern Conference all-freshman honors.

The 6-foot-5 guard picked the Jayhawks as his new team over a prestigious set of finalists that included Arizona, Houston and UConn, a group he had revealed on Thursday.

KU will hope to get him going back in the right direction in his junior year, as when it’s going well for Kugel, he can drive into the paint with strength and swiftness and drain high-arcing shots from deep.

Kugel included in his commitment post on X a pair of photos that showed him wearing KU gear as a child. After his commitment Sunday afternoon, he told Shay Wildeboor of JayhawkSlant.com that he was a KU fan when he was younger and lived in Overland Park for a couple years.

“To be honest, Kansas was always my dream school growing up,” Kugel told Wildeboor. “I mean, it was kind of a no-brainer. Once I had the opportunity to play for Bill Self, it was a no-brainer.”

He attended Doctor Phillips High School in Orlando, where he played with former Jayhawk Ernest Udeh Jr. A four-star prospect, he was initially committed to Mississippi State before picking the Gators at the end of his high school tenure.

His freshman year in Gainesville included a hot-shooting conclusion to the year in which he averaged 17.3 points in his final 10 games.

By the same time the following year, though, he was coming off the bench or at times not playing at all. The AP recently wrote of Kugel that as a sophomore, “he often looked lost on the court and disengaged on the bench. TV cameras caught him brushing off teammates and coaches. Coach Todd Golden had him coming off the bench by the end of December and playing fewer and fewer minutes the deeper the Gators got into the season. He eventually ended up out of the mix and clearly out of favor.”

Kugel will get a fresh start in Lawrence, where the Jayhawks need immediate help at guard alongside Dajuan Harris Jr.

“I feel like I have an overall game,” Kugel told JayhawkSlant. “I feel like I’m a three-level scorer. I can score beyond the arc, I can finish at the rim, and I can also make plays for my teammates, as well as play defense. I feel like I have the whole package. I just put my faith in Coach Bill Self and I know that he can lead me in the right direction for me to take my game to the next step.”

KU had three scholarship players exhaust their eligibility but has not yet had any players enter the transfer portal as of Sunday afternoon.

Lawrence native Zeke Mayo, another guard who is transferring from South Dakota State, listed the Jayhawks in his final four schools along with Creighton, Oklahoma and Texas on Saturday. Then 247Sports reported that Mayo will visit KU unofficially on Tuesday."
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

That's a smooth looking shot, and we desperately need shooting on the roster. I'll welcome a 6'5 athletic shooter, and he's already got 2 year experience in the SEC.

Plus he has childhood pics wearing KU gear and called kansas his dream school
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:36 pm That's a smooth looking shot, and we desperately need shooting on the roster. I'll welcome a 6'5 athletic shooter, and he's already got 2 year experience in the SEC.

Plus he has childhood pics wearing KU gear and called kansas his dream school
Yes. At first I was like "huh?", but then it made more sense.

He looks better than Jamari to me, so there's that.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

He probably is a better athlete and shooter than jamari McDowell. Feels like the next news update is jamari entering the portal

The new norm. Recruit over instead of develop
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

This guy sounds a bit like Sam cunliffe
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

premature, and strange

edit: perhaps i should reserve judgement…

Wonder if two years is gonna be Bill’s preference. You get a guy who is old enough to have been around the block but young enough that you have time to unlock another level. Like what we did with McCullar.