Welcome Riley Kugel

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Welcome Riley Kugel

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:13 pm the bluebloods, KU included, have lost our advantage. now that the shoe companies are no longer funneling us players. it used to be the same 4-5-6 schools getting all the good players.

all schools have rich alums. that has leveled the playing field.
Agreed

I'm waiting to see some random school go "all in" some year and try to buy a championship.

An example could be a situation like t Boone Pickens osu or the kochs at wsu

Old dudes with too much money at the end of their life that are like fuck its let's buy a championship and overpay the best guys in the portal
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's not just alums here though.
Schools with tons of money ( i.e. great programs with high earning potential ) can get that money into NIL.
That's why I was talking about ballparks, bridges and swampland. A small program like Drake might have rich alumni but they don't have a money making machine like Kansas.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Duke and UK seem to be doing fine getting top recruits.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:25 pm Duke and UK seem to be doing fine getting top recruits.
Nike and Nike
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Are Kansas players in commercials in the Kansas City area? I know about the Casey Applebee's commercial a couple years ago, but am curious about basketball players.

There seems to be an opportunity for schools in or near decent sized cities that don't have pro teams in their state to have NIL deals in which it's not just coming from rich donors but rather from businesses that would actually be interested in the endorsement. Thinking KC, Cincinnati, etc.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

HDs big one's seemed to be Adidas, Skims, and JBL audio.

McCullars also was Skims and JBL audio.

Kj had things like Freddy's.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Hunter has Minsky's ads.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Apparently Riley kugels dad is internet famous

https://twitter.com/BarstoolKU/status/1 ... kWbrg&s=19
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Father Sam Estelle. Mother Alethea Kugel.
Has a brother Isaiah Richardson (and a brother Zayd Kugel).

Bill signed two kids this week who have something in common besides basketball. It seems to be a theme with Self and Townsend. It's what most people in this country have in common. I'm not saying I feel it's a bad thing (because I don't think it's a bad thing) but I admit I find it interesting - if nothing else.

This is the theme I am referring to (and this was just from a short period of time during one season)....

“I can’t play a game unless I read my Bible first.”

“God has given us this platform and He deserves all the glory.” “We’re going to give the glory to Him.”

“I’m a big believer that God has a plan for this team. I’ve been spending a lot of time with my pastor, and our prayer is, What you do, do it well.”

While Kansas players and coaches pray before and after every game, as many teams do, they also pray before every practice.
“We’ve been doing that ever since Coach Self got here.”

“Sometimes with a coach, there is a bunch of yelling back and forth, but it’s good to talk with them as a Christian brother.”

“I’ve seen a lot of guys grow in their faith on this team and that’s thanks to Him.”

"I found when you tithe your money, even $1,200, God will stretch it for all you need.”
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I told Alethea I was feeling lost

Lacking in some direction
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:41 am I told Alethea I was feeling lost

Lacking in some direction
You're not the only one.

Who thought of that song.

My hope is to see her and Mr. Estelle either in person or TV on April 5th and 7th 2025.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Been talking riley kugel with some florida fans. They all seemed to really like him, supposedly one of the best pro prospects they remember seeing at Florida the past decade or so

Tremendous athlete than can really guard, really smooth shooting stroke. Would do great playing the 3 here. All things you can't easily teach, so I get why we picked him up

Where it gets weird is supposedly he struggles with decision making and confidence at times. He actually saw his minutes drop during his sophomore year after a very promising freshman year that made him a preaseason 1st team all SEC selection by the coaches. Went through a shooting slump and butted headed with the coach some, despite everyone saying he's a great teammate and never had attitude problems. Maybe the coach was just trying to find a way to push him
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sounds like kugel is a hell of a prospect, but it will be interesting how self handles him. Last season he struggled with his role and confidence at UF, after a stellar freshman year that put him in draft boards. Really hard to predict how he will transition to KU. Has the tools to be a 1st rounder 3 and D draft prospect, but also fragile and could be our next yesefu/Timberlake
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ugh ugh ugh.

if he struggles with decision making and confidence at Florida, that means Self already benched him here.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The good: elite athlete with nba level athleticism, smooth 3 pt stroke, high level defender

The bad: not a good ball handler, not the best decision maker, his minutes actually went down as last season progressed. Went through a multi game slump where he went like 0-20 from 3 and got down on himself. Struggled to find his role with the team as a soph after a really good freshman year

Sounds like he's going to play the 3 here. Not a combo guard, but perfect for the role of 3 and D. Let's just pray he gets comfortable and confident early
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:23 pm Hunter has Minsky's ads.
I may be in the minority here, but I like Minsky’s
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:44 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:23 pm Hunter has Minsky's ads.
I may be in the minority here, but I like Minsky’s
I liked it a lot in the mid 80s.
Granted, I was probably stoned out of my mind 95% of the time I ate it, and if I was fed dog shit I may have enjoyed eating it.

Back to Dickinson. How much does/did Minsky's pay him? $200 and free pizza for life?
Also, is his signature pizza called Double Double because of double toppings or because Minsky's tells the person who makes the pizza to double tea bag it before he puts it in the oven?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I used to love Minskys when I would go to KC in middle school.

When it moved to Lawrence I had it again and it was fine but actually I’ve had better slices at Papa Kenos.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

For some reason, I have never been to PapaKenos.

Do they have a full bar?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dickinsons special is just a shit ton of empty pizza boxes.