Welcome Riley Kugel

Kansas Basketball.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Welcome Riley Kugel

Post by Overlander »

I met Japhy and Mrs Japhy for pizza a few weeks ago at a place I didn’t even know existed in West Lawrence.

Pretty freaking good
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Overlander wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:06 pm For some reason, I have never been to PapaKenos.

Do they have a full bar?
Hm.
I don’t think so.
I’ve only had pitchers of beer there from what I recall.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's Mrs. Japhy's name again?

Annie Oakley?

Suzie Creamcheeze?

Wait that might be Mrs. DC...
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i miss slices as big as your face
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I miss Gumbys.

Big Ass Pizza (the name on the menu) plus a side of Pokey Sticks. Open til 4am. We used to order delivery after the bars then tip the driver with bong rips. For a long stretch it was always the same delivery dood and we got to be pals. One time tho we were all out of weed and the dood just stood on the porch waiting like a dog who heard the bell...we awkwardly handed him some cash instead.

Best part was how quick the delivery came cuz the pizza joint was only like two blocks from my place on...oh what was the name of that road again?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Gumby’s was so very much last ditch drunk/stoned delivery food.

I have no idea what it tastes like but I can’t imagine it’s good.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You say that as if anyone ordering a Big Ass Pizza at 4am was sober.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Kugel thread has moved to being about pizza. Not a bad diversion from the original topic.
I didn't like pizza when I arrived on campus at KU as a 17 year old Freshman.
Late night in the dorm, drunk and high, not too many food/delivery options. Everyone would order pizza. Closed my eyes and tried to brainwash myself I was eating a burger. I tolerated the pizza.
Couple more times, I started to like pizza. A couple more times after that, I started to love pizza.
Who gets the credit for Gutter transforming? That's right! The Shittle! Better known as Pizza Shuttle.

Now back to Kugel.....

I'm going to think positive. Like Remy tournament style positive. Beast Mode positive. Highlights positive. Heart and Soul positive. Salerno's/Pequod’s/Aurelio’s/Malnati's/Pat's/Barnaby's/My Pi/ positive.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:28 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:25 pm Duke and UK seem to be doing fine getting top recruits.
Nike and Nike
Agreed. UK has actually been complaining that their NIL is down relative to other big programs so it's not NIL getting kids to UK to play basketball.

Nike is a well oiled machine.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:19 am
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:25 pm Duke and UK seem to be doing fine getting top recruits.
Nike and Nike
Agreed. UK has actually been complaining that their NIL is down relative to other big programs so it's not NIL getting kids to UK to play basketball.

That and Calipari has a pretty successful track record with future NBA players.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:27 am

Nike and Nike

Yes, he has a track record of being the coach when future NBA players attended the school. Something I think he gets far too much credit for is that he had some sort of significant role in them being successful NBA players.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

LOL anyone who dislikes Calipari gets to dismiss any positive accomplishments because "well those players were already good" or "those players were only there 1 or 2 years so it doesn't count".

You don't think Gradey Dick got better at basketball at KU during his 1 year? I do. Johnny Furphy? I do. Coaches can impact a players development in 1 year.

Do I think Calipari should get all or most of the credit for a player being awesome? No, of course not. The players deserve the credit.

The fact is, it's impossible to look at the roster of former Calipari players doing awesome in the NBA and not see it as a positive for potential recruits.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:27 am

Nike and Nike

He probably gets way too much credit for that. He's has a shitload of one and done. Some panned out, some didn't.

It's not like self realistically credits himself for Joel embiids success. These kids basically spend 8 months around their college coach. Most of their nba success comes from their natural talent and the work they put in after college
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Caliari plays a small role in showcasing their natural abilities and helping push them along. But he isn't making or braking anybody

Guys like Anthony Davis, Devin booker, KAT, etc are 18/19 then. They're going to show up and get better at any high major college with any high major coach. But most of their development happens over the next 10 years in the NBA focusing just on basketball. Not in the half year as a student athlete
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:50 am ...
The fact is, it's impossible to look at the roster of former Calipari players doing awesome in the NBA and not see it as a positive for potential recruits.
In this I agree. Whether he deserves the credit is immaterial. He is using it to sell himself to recruits and it seems to still be working to get elite players to go to UK.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 am
In this I agree. Whether he deserves the credit is immaterial. He is using it to sell himself to recruits and it seems to still be working to get elite players to go to UK.
"The" credit? No.

"Some" credit? Sure.

It's not like Self deserves "the" credit for Devonte Graham becoming an NBA player. He deserves "some" though.

Coaches coach. Players play.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:28 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 am
"The" credit? No.

"Some" credit? Sure.

It's not like Self deserves "the" credit for Devonte Graham becoming an NBA player. He deserves "some" though.

Coaches coach. Players play.
"As much credit as he begs for every time he mentions the contract dollar amounts of his former players in a media session"? No.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Who cares? He isn't lying about the money they're making. He didn't say he is solely responsible for all of their success and money they make. He wasn't talking about how he's so great that he makes these crappy players into millionairs, he was talking about how many lives he's helped change during his time coaching.

You're also talking about 1 recent interview and pretending he spends every press conference updating contract figures for his NBA players.

You know, KU also capitalizes on their former players NBA success. KM and HD did a JBL audio commercial in front of the KU "wall of NBA players". We've got fans wanting to retire Embiid's jersey. Not sure why it bothers you so much that Calipari pointed out how much his former players have made in the league.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i do not want to retire je jersey. i mostly forget he was ever a JAYHAWK.

but it would be good if he would make a big fat donation to KU. he has made a lot of money. and he will make a lot more. 25 million or so would be about right.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

How someone can dislike Calipari but be a Nate Oats fan is beyond my comprehension.