Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Quitting my job today

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am
jfish26 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:12 am
TDub wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:08 am

why do so many kids now, not know how to change tires?
Probably has to do with the relative infrequency of flats today compared to our youth; I haven’t had one on which to even dad-lesson a kid.
tires seem to do better now, that's true.

I've still had 3 or 4 I think in the last year or so. But, the churt rock gravel roads and dirt roads probably don't help longevity of tires
Yep. My driving is almost exclusively filed under “suburban dad.” The most treacherous conditions I tend to face are February/March potholes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hadn't had to change a tire for 15+ years until this last summer where I had to change 3 ( or rather 2 and one of them twice ).
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:20 am
TDub wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am

Probably has to do with the relative infrequency of flats today compared to our youth; I haven’t had one on which to even dad-lesson a kid.
tires seem to do better now, that's true.

I've still had 3 or 4 I think in the last year or so. But, the churt rock gravel roads and dirt roads probably don't help longevity of tires
Yep. My driving is almost exclusively filed under “suburban dad.” The most treacherous conditions I tend to face are February/March potholes.
So, no Sand Hollow wall climbs?
https://youtube.com/shorts/KqL7b-ybAzo? ... gXxeRms1GG
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

My first car, a 53 Chevy station wagon, cost me $25. I bought it from a friend 2 weeks before I turned 16 and parked it in my driveway. The morning I turned 16 I woke up and one of the tires was flat. I jacked the car up, rolled the tire to the Phillips 66 at the end of the block, (don't remember why I didn't go to the Texaco on the other corner), and paid $5 for another bald tire which I rolled the ½ block home and installed. I was in business!

The next day I had two more flat tires and repeated the above scenario twice more. ""You're going to run me out of used 15" tires at this rate", the owner of the station said. I thought to myself, but didn't say, "well, then I'll go to the Texaco across the street and see if he has any".

First two days I was 16 I had 3 flat tires I replaced with used tires for $15.00. I wonder if it was an omen?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:59 pm My first car, a 53 Chevy station wagon, cost me $25. I bought it from a friend 2 weeks before I turned 16 and parked it in my driveway. The morning I turned 16 I woke up and one of the tires was flat. I jacked the car up, rolled the tire to the Phillips 66 at the end of the block, (don't remember why I didn't go to the Texaco on the other corner), and paid $5 for another bald tire which I rolled the ½ block home and installed. I was in business!

The next day I had two more flat tires and repeated the above scenario twice more. ""You're going to run me out of used 15" tires at this rate", the owner of the station said. I thought to myself, but didn't say, "well, then I'll go to the Texaco across the street and see if he has any".

First two days I was 16 I had 3 flat tires I replaced with used tires for $15.00. I wonder if it was an omen?
Outside of Jeeping (please don’t ask), I haven’t had a flat in probably 20 years
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Low profile tires love pot holes.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I am running 37s on 17” rims.

High Profile?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

low profile tires suck
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am low profile tires suck
Such a ridiculously counterproductive tradeoff for style. Sort of like when you see a massive rear-deck spoiler ... on a front-wheel drive car.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 am
TDub wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am low profile tires suck
Such a ridiculously counterproductive tradeoff for style. Sort of like when you see a massive rear-deck spoiler ... on a front-wheel drive car.
it really is, I don't even like the way they look.

I, as you could probably have guessed, am not a fan of spoilers either....theyre retarded looking.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

oh, just realized I'm probably not allowed to say that anymore, I mean no offense to Randy or lobster or any of the other mental disabled people of the world.....its just a phrase we used long ago that I haven't quite learned to unlearn yet.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:06 pm I didn’t want him to pay for the tires.
I told him the repayment would be to help someone he finds in a similar situation.

I ran in to wash my hands, and when I came out, there was $150 under my windshield wiper.

Good kid.
I also taught him how to change his first tire.

Having an exhaust jack and cordless impact were luxuries he probably won’t see again!
And the increased number of kids whose worry-wart parents got them a AAA membership to call someone if their car ever broke down, removing the need for them to practice changing a flat so they know how to do it "just in case".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:59 pm My first car, a 53 Chevy station wagon, cost me $25. I bought it from a friend 2 weeks before I turned 16 and parked it in my driveway. The morning I turned 16 I woke up and one of the tires was flat. I jacked the car up, rolled the tire to the Phillips 66 at the end of the block, (don't remember why I didn't go to the Texaco on the other corner), and paid $5 for another bald tire which I rolled the ½ block home and installed. I was in business!

I have had two tire blowouts on the Interstate, the last while travelling with my baby in the car. That one was stressful for sure.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:34 am

And the increased number of kids whose worry-wart parents got them a AAA membership to call someone if their car ever broke down, removing the need for them to practice changing a flat so they know how to do it "just in case".
Just another brick in the wall separating kids from self-sufficiency and a developed ability to figure things out for their damn selves. It's a huge problem, and contributing in a major way to the ineffectual stasis that defines a whole lot of adults.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

agreed on all fronts, we're headed toward a world of Qusdahls.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Only a matter of time before a certain uncle comes around to blame the millennials...when it's not entirely their fault. They didn't enable themselves.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:37 am

I have had two tire blowouts on the Interstate, the last while travelling with my baby in the car. That one was stressful for sure.
Yikes! That would be stressful.

BTW, the $5 I paid for the used tire included the filling station owner mounting it on the wheel and balancing it.

Not bad.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:25 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:37 am

Yikes! That would be stressful.

BTW, the $5 I paid for the used tire included the filling station owner mounting it on the wheel and balancing it.

Not bad.
Rich folks
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man.

not directed at you, Shirley, but just in general...

imagine being able to buy a car for $25, and replace 3 tires for $15, and still insist the ones who REALLY have it easy is the kids these days.