Pick your starters....

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6WKApwORlD ... lvZngxdWtz

I'd go:

PG: Steph
SG: Anthony Edwards
SF: KD
PF: LeBron
C: Embiid

But I think you could also do LeBron at PG and then take your pick of AD Kawhi or Tatum to be the 5th starter.
randylahey

Re: Team USA

Post by randylahey »

that's the only correct 5
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

He is what I think is a solid prediction.
One or more of the following players does not play in the olympics.

Embiid
KD
AD
Kawhi
LeBron
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Probably kawhi. Weird situation. They named the initial 11 man roster. Then named him as the 12th. Since them he has missed half the playoff games for the clips
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Tatum is a better player than Durant at this moment so I'd put him at the SF spot.
If you could somehow get Durant and Tatum on the court together, I'd do that, and bench Anthony Edwards ( he's a stud but so is everyone on the roster ).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Benching Edward's is insane. I get it's team USA, they are all good, and it's about finding the best lineups. But edwards might be the best player on the roster. He's possibly the most athletic guy in the whole nba, and maybe the most competitive. He's an absolute dog, and his skills have caught up to his talent

Have you watched him play much this year?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I don't think you bring in veterans like Durant, curry, and LeBron if you don't plan on starting them. They are there to lead by example and set the tone
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Tatum would be perfect as a super 6th man with his length and versatility

He might be the 2nd best player on the team being in his prime but you aren't gonna start Tatum over LeBron or Durant, even though he is next in line once those guys retire
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 am Benching Edward's is insane. I get it's team USA, they are all good, and it's about finding the best lineups. But edwards might be the best player on the roster. He's possibly the most athletic guy in the whole nba, and maybe the most competitive. He's an absolute dog, and his skills have caught up to his talent

Have you watched him play much this year?
Yes dude take a breath, you're awful at this.
I have watched him play a few times this season - two times recently where he torched the Suns.
He's a stud.

Have you watched Tatum play much this year?

Edwards' metrics are a good step below Embiid, LeBron, AD and Tatum and a step below KD and Curry.
Tatum was a frontrunner to win MVP and he should be a lock for 1st team All NBA ( can't say that for Edwards ). It's possible LeBron and AD both end up on 2nd team All NBA with Edwards. Hell Edwards could even drop to 3rd team ( I doubt it ).

Tatum, Embiid ( when he tries ) and AD are also all three better defenders.

The bigger reason why I think Edwards should play is because of the fit at shooting guard...I dunno if you can play Tatum and Durant ( well you absolutely could but I don't know if it'd work out role wise as having Edwards in there ).

My guess though will be the older guys ( Curry, KD, LeBron, Durant ) getting the start bc they've been there done that aplenty.

Insane!!!
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/4/15/ ... es-players
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I don't think Embiid or Kawhi are going to play.

I think LeBron will.

I think AD will unless his shoulder injury is something that needs prolonged rest.

I'd rather they start Haliburton over Curry. They won't, I know. But Curry is old and is going to have trouble guarding the quick international players.

LeBron starts. After that, I can see arguments for and against just about everyone. Obviously Curry and KD, and maybe even AD will all start if they play, just because of seniority, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

And fwiw, I think Anthony Edwards is better than Jayson Tatum and Steph Curry already, even if you can find advanced stats that seem to indicate otherwise. But I'm likely a prisoner of the moment, just like everyone else.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:28 pm I don't think Embiid or Kawhi are going to play.

I think LeBron will.

I think AD will unless his shoulder injury is something that needs prolonged rest.

I'd rather they start Haliburton over Curry. They won't, I know. But Curry is old and is going to have trouble guarding the quick international players.

LeBron starts. After that, I can see arguments for and against just about everyone. Obviously Curry and KD, and maybe even AD will all start if they play, just because of seniority, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

And fwiw, I think Anthony Edwards is better than Jayson Tatum and Steph Curry already, even if you can find advanced stats that seem to indicate otherwise. But I'm likely a prisoner of the moment, just like everyone else.
I don't need to find advanced stats.
I just need to find regular stats.
Tatum scores more on fewer shots at a better percentage.
Tatum is a much better rebounder.

Advanced stats? He's way ahead of Edwards in PER.
He's better in defensive rating and whatever remains of RAPTOR.

Finally, just as a player, Tatum can guard more positions than Edwards can, and is better at it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Advanced stats. Regular stats. Either way. When I watch the two, Anthony Edwards looks like he's better at basketball. He's also a charismatic leader, which is a great quality for a star player.

Tatum is great. We are talking about top 12-15ish players in the world. So, I don't think you're "wrong" if you think Curry and Tatum are better than Edwards.

If I'm a prisoner of the moment, so be it. Anthony Edwards has become one of my favorite players.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:05 pm Advanced stats. Regular stats. Either way. When I watch the two, Anthony Edwards looks like he's better at basketball. He's also a charismatic leader, which is a great quality for a star player.

Tatum is great. We are talking about top 12-15ish players in the world. So, I don't think you're "wrong" if you think Curry and Tatum are better than Edwards.

If I'm a prisoner of the moment, so be it. Anthony Edwards has become one of my favorite players.
For my eye test, I think Tatum looks like he's better.
But i've watched like 20-30 Celtics games so i've seen a lot of Tatum this year.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

This is a big post season for Tatum. He can elevate himself into a slightly different category than he's in now by getting himself a title and performing well in the clutch in some big moments that there will inevitably be on the path to a title.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yeah Tatum is really good and in his prime. But i don't see LeBron or Durant coming off the bench. Tatum is the forward that'll back them up. I don't see all 3 starting together

There's quite a few guards on the team. One of them will start at the 2, not Tatum. And Edwards is the obvious choice
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Edwards is also only 22 and already the best 2 guard in the league. He's kind of the future of team usa basketball. Maybe they bring him in off the bench for energy and athleticism, the way team usa used d wade back in 2012
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I don't hate the idea of starting jrue holiday at the 1 and playing Steph at the 2 either. Jrue would be one of the dudes that would buy into a role. defense and pass first pg. But it's just as likely he's depth and doesn't play much
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

One person we ain't mentioning is Booker.
I could see him starting over Edwards as well.
His metrics also are better than Edwards.

( I can already see randy loosing his shit just moments from now )
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

No I agree booker is the other obvious choice at the 2 guard. He might be more polished offensively. But edwards is way more athletic and way tougher. Better leader. Has the toughness and it factor that booker does not

Edwards is only 22 and a guy team usa is going to build around for many Olympics to come