Baseball

Other Sports.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Baseball

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Long overdue. Current setup is ridiculously nonsensical.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

In defense of the teams without netting, how many people come to a ballgame and are completely oblivious to what is happening on the field? Not that I disagree with having netting, but the thought might be that people should be paying attention to the game.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

thekid6 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:02 pm In defense of the teams without netting, how many people come to a ballgame and are completely oblivious to what is happening on the field? Not that I disagree with having netting, but the thought might be that people should be paying attention to the game.
IMO, that assumes that paying attention will negate something bad happening. Which, I'm an able-bodied early 30's man and I absolutely don't think I'm prepared to protect myself or someone I'm with from a screamer 100% of the time.

Then, what are the teams telling the elderly and children? These cool seats aren't for you unless you want to risk possibly getting killed?

Are the teams also saying that getting up to get a beer, turning around and talking to your neighbor is not acceptable behavior at a baseball game?

I understand the sentiment, and there is a little bit of responsibility on the fan sitting in hot zone seats. But, this is such an easy and sensible fix. You don't hear about people behind the plate complaining about the nets. Just extend it down and let's not wait for a kid to get killed.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CNB - I have NEVER been a fan of the nets. That being said, just because I'm not a fan doesn't mean I don't think they should be extended from foul pole to foul pole. Hard to determine just where they should stop when people are being injured past the dugouts.

I decided to share some pics because I think it puts things in perspective. The camera being very similar to the brain in which when we are cognizant of the nets - they no doubt are very noticeable and even distracting to various degrees. When we are able to tune them out and ignore them - look (last 2 pics)!

On another note.....

Vandy/UM Game 3 tonight for all the marbles. I'll be tuning in.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:52 am
thekid6 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:02 pm In defense of the teams without netting, how many people come to a ballgame and are completely oblivious to what is happening on the field? Not that I disagree with having netting, but the thought might be that people should be paying attention to the game.
IMO, that assumes that paying attention will negate something bad happening. Which, I'm an able-bodied early 30's man and I absolutely don't think I'm prepared to protect myself or someone I'm with from a screamer 100% of the time.

Then, what are the teams telling the elderly and children? These cool seats aren't for you unless you want to risk possibly getting killed?

Are the teams also saying that getting up to get a beer, turning around and talking to your neighbor is not acceptable behavior at a baseball game?

I understand the sentiment, and there is a little bit of responsibility on the fan sitting in hot zone seats. But, this is such an easy and sensible fix. You don't hear about people behind the plate complaining about the nets. Just extend it down and let's not wait for a kid to get killed.
I've hated that stance from many. Kids and elderly people just shouldn't sit in the lower levels. What a dumb, dumb argument. Shoving younger kids farther from the field makes them much less interested in the game as players and as fans.

Just extend the freaking nets. The NHL put up all netting in the whole section behind the goal line after a girl got killed. Let's not wait for this to happen in MLB for this to occur either.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 266

Vandy wins the trophy. Was difficult for me to watch the entire game being that Vandy pretty much had it in hand early. Michigan kids seemed to have an arrogance about them. Didn't really feel too bad for them that they lost. Maybe it's just my bias taking over in that thought.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Definitely biased.

Michigan was playing like they had nothing to lose, and that showed. They had kids who were having fun, a very diverse group of kids and they would have been the first team from somewhere other than Texas, the south or west to win the NCAA Championship since OU in 1994 and Wichita State in 89.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I can't help but wonder how much better Starling would be if he was born in California burb rather than a Kansas City burb.
Deleted User 266

Witnessed one heck of a ball game today. Down 6-1, Flubs won 9-7. Kimbrel got his first save as a Cub.
That's all.
Carry on.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Tyler Skaggs Pitcher for the Angels died this morning in Texas.

27 and married.

No foul play suspected.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You hope (hope is not the right word I suppose) that this was a freak accident, like a latent heart problem or something, and not something that would be harder for his wife and teammates to grapple with.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It is believed that foul play is not suspected and neither is a suicide.

Won't know until further autopsy, but it seems like it was just one of those health things that just happen.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Guerrero has Babe Ruth’s swing, but as a righty. His lower body too. That is all.
Deleted User 266

Goes to show you what you can do when you play with heart.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/271 ... nor-skaggs
Deleted User 266

I was there.
Very nice double play to end the game.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz310iVA6ua/
Deleted User 266

Mai Tai Guy.....

Undecided how I feel about the guy. At first I felt the guy is the definition of a douche bag.
Debatable if it was a douche bag move taking the ball from the kids (At the time I thought it was and I might still think it is) but I for sure felt he's a douche for being proud of being a douche.
Then I read the "Good Guy Mai Tai Guy" story and felt a twinge of feeling bad for the guy for all the ridicule he's been getting. How do you feel about it?

Bad Guy Mai Tai Guy? .....

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

Good Guy Mai Tai Guy? .....

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2019/7/ ... y-civility

? Mai Tai Guy?

https://sportsmockery.com/2019/07/mai-t ... from-kids/

Then you get this and nothing about it is questionable. It's just good.......
Yes, I realize it's not a walk off home run ball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0D_ta0AFsr/
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Short, but interesting podcast that mentions comparing Tommy John to PED's.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... ndard-case
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Pine tar game on ESPNC now.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Woof.

Kansas City Royals: Trade Carlos Beltran to the Astros, receive Mark Teahen, Mike Wood and John Buck in a three-way trade with the A's (June 24, 2004)

Future WAR traded away: 44.9

WAR acquired: 7.8

Beltran was the big trade chip in 2004, a multitooled center fielder heading into free agency whom the Royals wouldn't be able to sign. So you can argue the Royals received three players for a guy who was going to leave anyway. Still, Buck was the best of the group, a journeyman catcher. When trading a guy like Beltran, you hope to hit the lottery. The Royals failed to do that and they would follow 2004 with eight more losing seasons in a row.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/B ... -ever-made
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Still not even close to the worst trade on there. This is probably the worst.

Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos: Trade Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips and Lee Stevens to the Indians for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew (June 27, 2002)

Future WAR traded away: 101.4

WAR acquired: 1.9

The Expos were under the stewardship of MLB at the time, after Jeffrey Loria had sold back the team (at a great profit) to purchase the Marlins from John Henry (who had bought the Red Sox). It was a grisly situation all around and with the Expos surprisingly in playoff contention, the front office made the calculated gamble that maybe it could secure a new stadium if the team made the playoffs (much like what happened in Seattle in 1995). So GM Omar Minaya traded three minor leaguers for Colon, a free agent at season's end. The Expos were 6½ games out of first at the time of the trade, so the playoffs were going to be a long shot anyway. Colon pitched well, but the Expos finished 83-79 and the three minor leaguers turned out to be pretty good.