Christian Braun

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Christian Braun

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Due to the shooting, I would take Newman over Langford. I'd also take him over Grimes. I'd also take him over Vick.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 am Last summer Newman was always gone, that was the plan all along.

The prevailing thought was "I'd take Langford over Vick." I'd still sign up for that one.
True about Newman. But the point still remains the same. Svi was supposed to be a 2 year player until he was finally old enough to enter the draft. Selden was supposed to be a one year player. When people realized they weren't as good as the hype machine made them believe, it was on to the next high school senior who will be better at that position.

Collin Sexton was a must-get because Frank Mason wasn't the type of PG to take a team to the next level. Before that it was De'Aaron Fox. Stephen Zimmerman was going to make it so Lucas didn't have to play more than a few minutes a game.

Every year there are people saying "Give me Recruit X to replace Player Y anyday!"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:37 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 am Last summer Newman was always gone, that was the plan all along.

The prevailing thought was "I'd take Langford over Vick." I'd still sign up for that one.
True about Newman. But the point still remains the same. Svi was supposed to be a 2 year player until he was finally old enough to enter the draft. Selden was supposed to be a one year player. When people realized they weren't as good as the hype machine made them believe, it was on to the next high school senior who will be better at that position.

Collin Sexton was a must-get because Frank Mason wasn't the type of PG to take a team to the next level. Before that it was De'Aaron Fox. Stephen Zimmerman was going to make it so Lucas didn't have to play more than a few minutes a game.

Every year there are people saying "Give me Recruit X to replace Player Y anyday!"
I do think it's true that we've had players, like frosh Selden, not live up to expectations. Now, perhaps some of the fans' expectations may be out of whack, but I don't think people like frosh Selden, frosh Grimes, frosh Diallo, frosh Selby, etc. lived up to anyone's expectations of them, themselves and coaches included.

Sexton would have been here last year. I don't think we had any realistic chance at Fox knowing Frank and Devonte were upperclassmen. I do recall many, myself included, really wanting Cat Barber and we ended up with Frank. I certainly like what we ended up with there.

Zimmerman over Lucas? Yes, that would have been nice.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd take a senior Newman over any of our guards in a vacuum of just one year.
Even not in a vacuum, it'd be a tough decision between senior Newman and Dotson because Dotson's 2nd year is going to be special.
But for this year, for our title chances, Newman would have taken the cake.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

A great topic for another thread which of the 2018-19 team should be on the 19-20 team and which do we think will be. Maybe it is too early but that usually doesn't stop the internet.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

IIRC, at this point in the season last year, people were giving up on Newman. The stud Newman you are remembering showed up in March/April.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bump. Some gems in here including OP.

I was high on Braun all summer thinking he'd be our most ready to play frosh, but who would have thought that what we might benefit the most from is his ability to rebound?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's found a groove.
He seemed lost in the beginning of the season but it's clear he has game.
LOL at the humiliating crossup to gain space and drain that 3 when we were up 25.

Just please stop with the bow and arrow shit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:07 am Bump. Some gems in here including OP.

I was high on Braun all summer thinking he'd be our most ready to play frosh, but who would have thought that what we might benefit the most from is his ability to rebound?
I'm having a hard time finding an analog for him. He really does seem to have great instincts. He's also got a healthy amount of swagger. I love the guts to take those threes off the bounce.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:10 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:07 am Bump. Some gems in here including OP.

I'm having a hard time finding an analog for him. He really does seem to have great instincts. He's also got a healthy amount of swagger. I love the guts to take those threes off the bounce.
His swagger in HS reminded me of Hinrich.

Game is a little different, but he is an off-guard that used to be a PG, like Kirk.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You know what makes him even better than Kirk?
He's a Kansas kid.
We could have two Kansas kids starting eventually.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It's really fun watching him get up there for boards. He attacks every board he can. He's going to be a really good player that other fans are going to hate by the time he is done.

Next year will have Braun and Lightfoot on the floor together and fans will hate them because they are good, cocky and fun.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 am You know what makes him even better than Kirk?
He's a Kansas kid.

Eventually is game 1 next season according to Self last night. Post game interview with Gurley, Self stopped the interview to shout out TGF as he walked by. Said Ty would be the best player on the team this year if we had him.
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:36 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 am You know what makes him even better than Kirk?
He's a Kansas kid.

Eventually is game 1 next season according to Self last night. Post game interview with Gurley, Self stopped the interview to shout out TGF as he walked by. Said Ty would be the best player on the team this year if we had him.
When I saw he was at the game, I wondered to myself if Indian Hills could beat Iowa State this year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

He's a Kansas kid.
I care about this as much as I care about our head coaches having some past KU connection.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

OP musta been done tongue in cheek or in response to something else, I don't remember.

I've never been Braun's biggest advocate, but I've never been particularly low on him either.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 am
He's a Kansas kid.
I care about this as much as I care about our head coaches having some past KU connection.

I’m with fish on this one. Don’t really give a shit about Kansas kids. And I was a Kansas kid
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

On Braun specifically, he’s sneaky athletic. I’m impressed with how well he’s held his own physically as a true freshman.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Interesting to watch how Braun is on the uptick while Tristan is on the down.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Enaruna doesn't take care of the ball, too many turnovers.

Braun shoots the ball better, and the way he goes after rebounds tends to negate the primary advantage Enaruna has over him, which is length.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.