Dumbfuck in charge

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Dumbfuck in charge

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:50 am Is it true that the US is currently under 31 national emergencies? All enacted since the 70s.....10 by Obama?

Saw it on a meme. So only a 50% chance it's true. Figured the smarty pants around here would know....
www.google.com
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/05/56854638 ... ium=social

arrests for illegal border crossings at 46-year low
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:05 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:50 am Is it true that the US is currently under 31 national emergencies? All enacted since the 70s.....10 by Obama?

Saw it on a meme. So only a 50% chance it's true. Figured the smarty pants around here would know....
www.google.com
Put me back on ignore.
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:58 am https://www.npr.org/2017/12/05/56854638 ... ium=social

We giving trump credit for this?
Deleted User 75

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa ... encies_Act
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:58 am https://www.npr.org/2017/12/05/56854638 ... ium=social

We giving trump credit for this?
Theoretically, incentives matter.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:48 am The bad news: Trump is still Trump.

The good news: a judicial stop to this will set a hard precedent.
Didn't he pretty much allude to this already? I assume he's waiting for this to get to the Supreme Court and then rolling the bones?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:24 am

Didn't he pretty much allude to this already? I assume he's waiting for this to get to the Supreme Court and then rolling the bones?
I've been trying to make sense of this all week. What I think is going on with Trump, Coulter, etc is this: Trump doesn't care about the wall or about immigration. He likes the issue of immigration more than he does the idea of fixing the problem. This is why Coulter broke bad on him. She sees this and thinks it's shitty.

What Trump really wants is to get reelected. And someone on his staff -- maybe someone with a career's-worth of polling experience -- convinced him that if he doesn't get his funding, has to declare a state of emergency, and then is handed a defeat by the courts, ESPECIALLY the Supreme Court, then he gets to carry ALL of his top issues with him into the 2020 campaign. And the best part (for him) is that ALL the issues are now amplified because "I tried. God knows I tried. But the 'swamp' is still protecting itself. I need MORE time, MORE power, and MORE judicial nominees. Otherwise, ALL is lost."

It's pretty clever as electoral strategy, typically shitty as social, economic, and public policy.
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

I don't read polls, but doesn't seem like that strategy meshes well with what happened in mid-terms.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

RussianHawk wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:28 pm I don't read polls, but doesn't seem like that strategy meshes well with what happened in mid-terms.
Midterms and presidential elections are different. Rove set the precedent in '04 and Plouffe, Axelrod, and Messina followed suit in '12, running exclusively to their base and winning on turnout strategy alone.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:02 pm
chiknbut wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:24 am

I've been trying to make sense of this all week. What I think is going on with Trump, Coulter, etc is this: Trump doesn't care about the wall or about immigration. He likes the issue of immigration more than he does the idea of fixing the problem. This is why Coulter broke bad on him. She sees this and thinks it's shitty.

What Trump really wants is to get reelected. And someone on his staff -- maybe someone with a career's-worth of polling experience -- convinced him that if he doesn't get his funding, has to declare a state of emergency, and then is handed a defeat by the courts, ESPECIALLY the Supreme Court, then he gets to carry ALL of his top issues with him into the 2020 campaign. And the best part (for him) is that ALL the issues are now amplified because "I tried. God knows I tried. But the 'swamp' is still protecting itself. I need MORE time, MORE power, and MORE judicial nominees. Otherwise, ALL is lost."

It's pretty clever as electoral strategy, typically shitty as social, economic, and public policy.
My wife and I had this exact same discussion a few days ago.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Silence IS golden
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

It's unreal how quickly we have fallen out of favor with our allies. If Trump wins again and maintains course I'm not sure what the European US relationship will look like. Luckily the Pacific relationships seem to be maintaining somewhat normal.
Deleted User 75

Much of Europe has taken advanatge of us for far too long...even if he pisses them off for another term they'll be begging us to come back once we get someone new in office.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

JFC
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I wish people would read history.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

dolomite wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:12 am
Silence IS golden
Incredible pearl of wisdom right there.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Leawood wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm I wish people would read history.
Anyway that we can just put history in one meme?