The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by KUTradition »

not a headline i would’ve ever anticipated

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wild-otte ... =102009744
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Wow.
Bit an artery or something?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:56 am not a headline i would’ve ever anticipated

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wild-otte ... =102009744
What were they wearing? Because, maybe they were asking for it?

Have to assume they were wearing crayfish costumes, until proven otherwise.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

In Orlando our house backed up to a pond that backed up to a "conservation area", the name used here to describe strips of land between developments. As long as the wildlife doesn't stray from the narrow path, they're in the "forrest", "jungle", whatevs. (Better than nothing...)

One day I came home in the late afternoon and there was a crowd of ~ 30 residents there watching a guy try to capture the gator that had been a resident of the pond for months. It was only ~ 7' long, and always ran or swam away at the first sight of people, so I thought it must be a new resident who called in the gator hunter guy.

Before I got there they said he had placed some device that emitted a sound mimicking a baby alligator in distress just up on the shore, and as soon as he placed it and walked away, the gator made a beeline for it instantaneously. Unfortunately, the hunter missed the gator when he threw his net, and the gator was now like all "once bitten, twice shy", and nothing would coax it back. The hunter gave up and went home long after dark empty handed, but returned the next day and made short work of it, from what I heard.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I also posted this on the Wildfires thread. Felt it was worthy of posting on here too.

From a buddy of mine....

As a child, Maui was my favorite place in the whole world. Our family would vacation there every Christmas, and we would often sneak a second trip during the summer. I have fond memories of scuba diving, surfing and enjoying the majestic nature of the island. One of my most palpable memories is the feeling I would get upon landing on the island and breathing the tropical air; I felt alive and vital and the island felt vibrant and awake, teeming with unusual, colorful creatures, birds, geckos, giant palm trees gently swaying in the ocean breeze.
It was paradise.
When I returned in September of last year I could not believe what it had become. The once-lush fields and forests had turned brown and lifeless. The south side of the island had transformed into a tropical Vegas, the beaches lined with mega resorts, golf courses, strip malls and franchise restaurants. The dive spot I had explored countless times as a teenager, once a vital reef with schools of tropical fish, eel, reef sharks and sea turtles, was no longer open due to toxic runoff from golf courses, fertilizer and other chemicals. Much of the island seemed heading toward desertification due to disproportionate water allocation.
It was a mess.
I pray for the human, animal and plant lives lost in these fires. I also pray that we as a society wake up to the extreme, sometimes irreversible destruction we are causing. There’s no mistaking it, we’re living in late stage capitalism, but I have faith we can transcend it and leave our children with a world full of magic and wonder.
I’m praying for Maui
I’m praying for us
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

transcend late stage capitalism...who knew gutter's buddy was Qusdahl?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

well...Holy...Shit.

Guess who ran into a cougar tonight while out doin chores?

had my son with me...headlamp on per usual. Cross over down the hill and into the pasture when I happen to catch eyeshine on the hill. Yellow eyes, strike one. Pick the boy up walk backward ls a few steps...stand. Animal and me stare at each other a couple minutes. He slowly makes his way clear across the hill horizontally. right above me now but up about 60 yards and in brush. We stare at each other again while I try to figure out what it is. Then he slowly picks his way zigzagging down the hill towards me. Wtf? I say fuck this tske the boy back to the house and head back down.

Hes across the hill again but catch eyes . Same scenario. walks horizontally across the hill. stares...walks down the hill. wtf? moves like a cat, yellow eyes. but still can't tell. then the fucker moves closer and hisses/snorts/huffs at me a couple times dont know how to describe the sound. I stand there were about 40 yards apart now id guess. Fucker moves down the hill even more and steps out from behind sagebrush into some lowlights. Fucking cat, goddamn cougar staring st me half behind the brush. and 35 yards up the hill. He's not scared of me at all.

I go back up the damn other side to the garage and grab a pistol and go back to where I was before. don't see him. now I'm feeling a little exposed. open on all sides. I know he's around. don't know where. I fired a couple shots into the hillside where I last saw him and step back towards the shop building. eventually I think I catch his eyeshine up the up the hill a ways probably 65 yards or so now. But I'm not entirely sure its him. wait watch, eventually slowly make my way across to the other side of the pasture just below where he was the first time I saw him. quickly gather up the rabbits and quickly move the couple hundred yards back across and up the hill to the house.

fuckin hell. adrenaline is certainly high. he was way to comfortable being around. not worried about me at all and he even hisses at me? fuck you cat.

Boy oh boy am I glad I happened to look up the hill and catch his eyes in the brush. Me and the boy were walking right into him if I didn't happen to look at that particular spot with my headlight at that moment.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Holy shit!

Glad you were able to catch it on video:

https://youtu.be/9ktRhBcHza4?si=2qPxt_d486EducLA
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Glad you and your son are ok TDub! Pretty sure I would have pissed and/or crapped in my pants in that scenario.
Shirley - The first time I watched that video I wondered a few things. Did the guy want to record his own mauling/death, would I have had a weapon or at least some mace/pepper spray with me if I was walking/jogging alone there, and at what point would I have picked up a large rock and thought if the cougar got close enough I would try to smash it's skull with it.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yikes, glad you spotted him and glad you are both ok.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:24 am Glad you and your son are ok TDub! Pretty sure I would have pissed and/or crapped in my pants in that scenario.
Shirley - The first time I watched that video I wondered a few things. Did the guy want to record his own mauling/death, would I have had a weapon or at least some mace/pepper spray with me if I was walking/jogging alone there, and at what point would I have picked up a large rock and thought if the cougar got close enough I would try to smash it's skull with it.
Exactly. Unless he knew that the cougar was protecting cubs or perhaps a kill, (where, relatively speaking, all bets would be off and backing away would be exactly the right thing to try initially), I kept thinking that there had to be a branch or rock or something within reach at some point. And, I wouldn't have waited until the cougar got close enough for me to reach it with a rock, I would have been throwing one rock after another, even while I was backing away. He also should have raised his arms above his head to appear larger and yelled at the top of his lungs to attract anyone who might have been in the area, and to try to plant the idea in the cougar's mind that continuing to close the distance isn't guaranteed to end well, instead of continuing to appear weak and submissive by backing away. It's good that he didn't turn his back and run, causing himself to resemble prey, but to continue only backing away without lessening the threat would have gotten really old very quickly, to me.

In the guys defense, maybe he's a liberal, and wanted to give the cougar anger-management therapy?
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thankfully, some people are better lip-readers, than me. Or,
maybe because I've watched so many episodes of Alone, Life Below Zero, etc., he looked pretty normal, to me?

Sep 11, 2023
A hiker who was lost in a remote Alaska national park was rescued last week after wildlife fans tuning into a live feed from a bear camera captured the distressed man on the screen mouthing the words “Help me.”

The video shared by Explore.org, a multimedia company that operates web cameras for the National Park Service and other entities worldwide, shows the haggard-looking trekker trudging through a thick fog on Dumpling Mountain in Katmai National Park last Tuesday.

As he passes by a camera installed to capture the park’s world-famous brown bears, the unshaven, sopping-wet traveler looks directly into the lens and mouths the words “Help me” and “Lost.”

A handful of viewers watching the feed at that time left comments in an Explore.org chat room alerting the company that there was someone in distress on the rain-swept trail.

The Park Service was then swiftly notified of the emergency situation.

Read more at https://nypost.com/2023/09/11/online-...

https://youtu.be/AKH0iN2d1N8?si=n1V-c8l210LjjbRZ
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

one of the best stories i’ve read in a while

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/3-croc ... y-instead/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://people.com/florida-police-inves ... son%20died.

Florida Police Investigating After Alligator Was Seen Carrying Dead Human Body Down Street

… A nearby resident, JaMarcus Bullard, had told Spectrum’s Bay News 9 that he had been on his way to a job interview when he saw the alligator carrying the deceased person in its jaws.

"I could tell there was a body in his mouth, so I started recording," Bullard said.

"I picked up a rock to hit it, it was a lower torso in his mouth. It just like swam backward down into the lower canal," he added, per Insider.

He told Bay News 9 that he immediately “came down to the fire department and reported” the incident to them, and they had put in the 911 call. Bullard said he witnessed emergency personnel pull the gator from the waterway and shoot it "a few times."…
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

a temporary distraction from all the nonsense these days

https://bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67063835
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

getting a late start this year and a short duration....but my pursuit of putting some Muley in the freezer begins at sun up tomorrow.
Just Ledoux it