The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by TDub »

also isn't it DOFW...department of fish and wildlife

if.your talking about the Dow JIA, take it to Shirley.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

They just call it DOW here.

Division of wildlife, I think.

And I think the other 5 wolves were released in another county.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually, this article says they released the other 5 in an undisclosed location somewhere in Grand (my) and Summit (one over) counties.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/colorado/ne ... ck-oregon/

So it’s def possible that gusher really saw 6.

Here I was hoping they just packed up with another wolf that just happened to be here.

I know credible folks who say wolves have unofficially already been around here for a while
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they were dispersed somewhere in Eagle, Grand and Summit counties
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One already made the paper here too!

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/collared ... nd-county/

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

per NatGeo:

Lake Kivu is framed by imposing cliffs, nestled within a verdant valley straddling Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. On the lake, fishermen float out in small boats, singing to time their paddle strokes as they catch the day’s meal.

Under the surface, that tranquility vanishes.

Lake Kivu is a geological anomaly, a multi-layered lake whose depths are saturated with trapped carbon dioxide and methane. Only two other such lakes—Lake Nyos and Lake Monoun—share these characteristics, and both have erupted in the past 50 years, spewing a lethal cloud of gas that suffocated any humans and animals in its path. When Lake Nyos erupted in 1986, it asphyxiated nearly 2,000 people and wiped out four villages in Cameroon. Folklore in the area speaks of “the bad lake” and its evil spirits that emerged to kill in an instant. Concerningly, Lake Kivu is 50 times as long as Lake Nyos and more than twice as deep. Millions live on its shoreline.

“Kivu has a complicated vertical structure,” Sergei Katsev, a limnologist at University of Minnesota Duluth, explains. While “the top [200 feet] or so mix regularly,” the rest of the lake remains stratified. Nearly 72 cubic miles of dissolved carbon dioxide and 14 cubic miles of methane, laced with toxic hydrogen sulfide, remain trapped in the bottom of the lake. They sit beneath a “main density gradient” at 850 feet below the surface.

These gasses could explode above the surface. “When the lake reaches 100 percent saturation—and it is currently somewhere over 60 percent—it will erupt spontaneously,” says Philip Morkel, an engineer and founder of Hydragas Energy, which is seeking funding for a project to extract methane from the lake for electricity. “It’s like a boiling pot of water. It looks quiet—until it starts to bubble.”

The lake could also erupt if its layers are sufficiently disturbed, for instance by “an earthquake or a large lava intrusion,” Katsev says. Beyond the rift zone directly beneath the lake, there are two active volcanoes within 15 miles.

Lake Kivu’s eruption would be catastrophic. “[The lake] would release the equivalent of 2-6 gigatonnes of carbon into the atmosphere in a day,” Morkel says. For reference, current global carbon dioxide emissions are approximately 38 gigatonnes each year, in total. “That erupted gas would hang over the lake in a foggy cloud for days to weeks.”

For those around the lake at the time of eruption, this would be fatal, according to Morkel: “The gas would be extremely toxic. If anyone were in that cloud, it would take a minute to kill them.”…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'm always stunned when someone befriends a wild animal like that, but as we know, it's not that uncommon:

Tiger kills Kansas teen posing for photo

A teen killed while having her picture taken with a Siberian tiger was remembered for her "zeal for life," while animal welfare groups demanded investigations into the attack...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:43 am
I'm always stunned when someone befriends a wild animal like that, but as we know, it's not that uncommon:

A teen killed while having her picture taken with a Siberian tiger was remembered for her "zeal for life," while animal welfare groups demanded investigations into the attack...
it’s not all that different from people getting too close to bison for selfies, imo
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:51 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:43 am

it’s not all that different from people getting too close to bison for selfies, imo
Exactly. I can never believe it when I see people do that.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

buddy sent me a picture of a moose, just about 10-15 miles from me, super rare around here to run into a moose
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:16 pm buddy sent me a picture of a moose, just about 10-15 miles from me, super rare around here to run into a moose
That's pretty cool.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:31 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:16 pm buddy sent me a picture of a moose, just about 10-15 miles from me, super rare around here to run into a moose
That's pretty cool.
I thought so
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:48 pm
That's pretty cool.
I thought so
In the early 90s I knew a guy with a cabin in the Wasatch Mts outside of SLC who said he would see one once in a while. I wonder if they still do? And that's a fair distance S of you, isn't it?
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:38 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:48 pm

That's pretty cool.
I thought so
In the early 90s I knew a guy with a cabin in the Wasatch Mts outside of SLC who said he would see one once in a while. I wonder if they still do? And that's a fair distance S of you, isn't it?
yea thats quite a ways, probably 8 or 9 hr drive I'd guess. That makes sense though, I know the are in the Tetons and Absarokas, so they probably drop down through the Wyoming range and into Utah from time to time
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How late in the season do moose and elk and deer usually keep their antlers?

Saw a ginormous bull elk in Yellowstone this morning that still had a full rack
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

should be dropping anytime now really, through the next few weeks, usually early March through mid April ish

at least around here, I don't know if that varies based on region or climate or whatever, I doubt it though. I'm guessing thays fairly standard.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man…considering the rut was back in like October, it would prob suck to have to carry around an extra like 50 pounds of bone on your noggin for another like 5 months just cuz
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think it'd be more annoying to have to expend the energy to regrow the damn things every year.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

A male humpback whale dubbed Whale B was seen copulating with another male, Whale A, in the first-ever documented case of humpback whale mating. Each year humpback whales travel thousands of miles from their polar feeding grounds to the tropical waters where they mate, give birth and nurse their calves.

sounds like they need to be institutionalized, right randi?