Re: Behind QT

Post by pdub »

Goddamnit.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

somebody should take a break, and it’s not mjl
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I still don't understand.

what's the basis of mjl's restraining order?

I asked for a hotel recommendation in Overland Park?

I hope he also shows the cops the shit he's said to me.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

start pulling threads and the common one will be found
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sir, this is a Sheraton.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:14 am somebody should take a break, and it’s not mjl
So you think I said the more inappropriate things? And/or that the things he said are warranted?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:13 amGoddamnit.
soooo

You gonna do anything in a moderator capacity here?

If I’m really in the wrong, just say so, but please at least explain why.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I did.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wait, mjl’s banned?!

And to think, they say nothing good ever happens behind QT.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:11 am
pdub wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:13 amGoddamnit.
soooo

You gonna do anything in a moderator capacity here?

If I’m really in the wrong, just say so, but please at least explain why.
I'm so fucking sick of your woe is me I'm the good guy schtick.

It's never you're fault, ever. Man the fuck up and take some responsibility. Grow up dude.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:14 am wait, mjl’s banned?!

And to think, they say nothing good ever happens behind QT.
that's not a good thing, mjl is a good poster and adds a helluva lot more to this forum than you ever have.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ll admit, I can be pretty shitposty here.

But, I’ve never posted anything even close to saying I’m gonna find anyone in real life, nor beat the shit out of anyone, nor “off” them, either.

This one’s a no-brainer. Despite our disagreements about so much else, even pdub agrees.

And I don’t know what responsibility tdub thinks I should take here.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

dude you say some pretty shitty shit and then play it off either, as a joke, or offer some bullshit apology and think that covers it for you while you continue your shitty bullshit. Like a kid that gets in trouble, says sorry, then keeps doing the same thing.

If you dont know what responsibility you should take in your life as evidenced on here, then I can't help you, but it strengthens my point.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:39 am dude you say some pretty shitty shit and then play it off either, as a joke, or offer some bullshit apology and think that covers it for you while you continue your shitty bullshit. Like a kid that gets in trouble, says sorry, then keeps doing the same thing.

If you dont know what responsibility you should take in your life as evidenced on here, then I can't help you, but it strengthens my point.
https://youtu.be/GSXq1T6Co6s?si=VsjJjoDTri2phsyL
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:39 am dude you say some pretty shitty shit and then play it off either, as a joke, or offer some bullshit apology and think that covers it for you while you continue your shitty bullshit. Like a kid that gets in trouble, says sorry, then keeps doing the same thing.

What have I ever said that would justify death threats?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:46 pm

What have I ever said that would justify death threats?
The "Ousdahl got a Tinder" thread should be all the evidence that this jury needs to see.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

After many years of reading his posts here, I finally met ousdahl this summer at japhy's get-together in Co. Based on those years, I wasn't surprised to find that he's a very nice guy, easy to like and be around, with a great sense of humor.

Unfortunately here, he's recently gone so far down the rabbit hole I avoid engaging him, and nearly always avoid opening a thread where he's been the last one to post. #sad.

Long, before the Oct 7th massacre of Israelis/Jews by Hamas, ousdahl's naive and misinformed false equivalencies related to Russia and the US vis-a-vis the Russian invasion of Ukraine, have been painful to read. The number of times I have stopped myself from responding to what he posts in an effort to correct, inform, and/or challenge the things he posts would be difficult to estimate. But, it's not worth my time, so why bother? Based on recent history and ousdahl's lack of insight, I've little to no expectation that will change soon, or ever.

I say this as someone who has been very critical of the US for nearly all of the last > half century. It's not that he doesn't have a point, it's the extrapolations, the conclusions without apparent knowledge or consideration of relevant context to what's currently happening in our geopolitical situation, that I find most challenging.

ousdahl's disregard or insensitivity for mjl's pov has regularly been offensive to me. I don't know mjl, don't and never have had an ongoing DM repartee going on with him, and have often been surprised in a politically negative way by his posts, which have challenged my preconceived notions of what Jewish people are like. (I don't know hardly any Jewish people, so what I "think" they're like is a total construct on my part, based on little to nothing, so I shouldn't be surprised. That includes my ignorance at seeing them as somehow monolithic. #duh) In addition, I have loathed Bibi Netanyahu since I became aware of him, and often think of Israel as being its own enemy in many regards.

That being said, if I too were a member of a group that had been relentlessly scapegoated by what seems like every other group in the world or wannabe dictator and despot throughout millennia, and subjected to the attempts at annihilation that Jews have and continue to be subject to, I might be pretty wound-up too. It's often pointed out that on a per capita basis, if 9/11 had been equivalent to Oct 7, something like 40,000 Americans would have been killed rather than ~ 3,000. Like you, I've heard that nearly all American Jews know someone, or knows someone who knows someone who was killed or captured by Hamas. It probably also doesn't help that within what seemed like seconds of the terrorist attack by Hamas on Oct 7th, the news cycle was captured by the Palestinian pov, and suddenly, the Jews were immediately put on the defensive, i.e., the bad guys, yet again.

Nonetheless, there's nothing about ousdahl that makes me think for one second that his mention of Overland Park had anything to do with an attack on mjl personally. I've grown to like mjl a lot, and the events on Oct 7 have only intensified that. I think mjl was totally wrong to respond the way he did, but under the circumstances, I'm reluctant to judge him harshly, and hope he's reinstated soon, like today, because he brings a considered and valuable pov to the posts here, something that is far too rare.

But, that's just my opinion.

I apologize that went on so long, that wasn't my original intent. I could probably edit and improve it if I took the time, but meh.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well said.
I did not ban Mjl.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

We all know what "they" say about religion and politics.
I have a work lunch to attend today. I am 100% convinced that I could destroy my work relationship with the majority of these people by simply starting a discussion regarding either religion or politics - and my being honest with my thoughts and feelings.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Wait. So does MJL’s wife work at the Sheraton in Overland Park then?

I didn’t stay there, btw. It was down the street. Still a corporate megalith, mind you, bc Suburbia, and ‘Merica.

Also, if anyone makes a reference to being in Lawrence, it’s where I live, and you are a fucking stalker.