Ode to Olive Garden

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Ode to Olive Garden

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:31 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:25 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:01 pm i’d just as soon toss the meat on the smoker, but maybe i’m underrating the method

probably shouldn’t knock it till i try it
same and same
i was skeptical at first, but “santa” brought me a fancy new traeger two christmases ago (with wifi and phone app…i know), but that shit is so freakin convenient

(not to mention it smells fantastic, of course)
I used to be anti traeger because its pellets and doesn't feel like real smoke....but..ive softened they are very convenient and they put out good food.

Ive got a green egg....which...I think gives a better smoke, keeps the moisture in better and I prefer, but, if I'm just cooking burgers or something its kind of a pain in the ass..takes me a good 30-45 minutes to get it up to teml and get the temperature stabilized and controllable....traeger its just turn it on and boom...cooking in 7 or 8 minutes.

I refuse to use propane....except I would like to get a Blackstone or similar propane flattop griddle....and the small propane/white gas stand up grills are perfect for camping.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

im debating getting a small traeger to pair with the egg....do long smokes on the egg and short cooks on the traeger
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:32 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:25 pm

same and same
i was skeptical at first, but “santa” brought me a fancy new traeger two christmases ago (with wifi and phone app…i know), but that shit is so freakin convenient

I used to be anti traeger because its pellets and doesn't feel like real smoke....but..ive softened they are very convenient and they put out good food.

Ive got a green egg....which...I think gives a better smoke, keeps the moisture in better and I prefer, but, if I'm just cooking burgers or something its kind of a pain in the ass..takes me a good 30-45 minutes to get it up to teml and get the temperature stabilized and controllable....traeger its just turn it on and boom...cooking in 7 or 8 minutes.

I refuse to use propane....except I would like to get a Blackstone or similar propane flattop griddle....and the small propane/white gas stand up grills are perfect for camping.
i can literally do everything but take off and put on the cover (and the food) from my phone app…no more running in and out to check the temp of the smoker or the food

the convenience of all the different varieties of pellets available is also pretty nice
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:53 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:32 pm

i can literally do everything but take off and put on the cover (and the food) from my phone app…no more running in and out to check the temp of the smoker or the food

the convenience of all the different varieties of pellets available is also pretty nice
checking, adjusting, watching the temp is a good excuse to stand outside and drink a beer in peace and quiet tho........
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:45 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:32 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:06 pm

I'm a big fan of preparing steaks sous vide, for a lot of reasons. When time allows, I'll sear before vacuum sealing.
I'm not fancy enough for that....but I'd eat it.
It's the opposite of fancy. Easy as could be, not messy. Exactly the level of doneness you're going for, idiot-proof.

And - the #2 thing for my family (behind precise doneness/flavor) - is how flexible it lets you be. Get the meat in at 4:30ish, and your dinner window can be anything from 5:30-8:30.
Yeah, I haven't ordered a steak at a restaurant since getting my Anova. No point, I make them every bit as good (if not better) now. And it's almost no work.

Same with salmon.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

again...im trying not to judge until I've tried it....but...cooking a steak in a warm water bath doesn't sound.....real great? no char or smoke flavor? the juices just collect in a bag and....marinate with the meat? I dunno....maybe I'm missing the art. Im kind kf a caveman with cooking....give me fire and coals and I figure ill work something out
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:15 pm again...im trying not to judge until I've tried it....but...cooking a steak in a warm water bath doesn't sound.....real great? no char or smoke flavor? the juices just collect in a bag and....marinate with the meat? I dunno....maybe I'm missing the art. Im kind kf a caveman with cooking....give me fire and coals and I figure ill work something out
You dry and seer it after removing it from the bag. Definitely still get the char.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m with you TDub.
I have a standard Weber grill and a Smokey Mountain.
It’s charcoal and wood or bust up in here.

I can get my charcoal hot in 15 minutes with the chimney so while it’s not flip a switch and fire up the gas, it’s still easy enough.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:15 pm again...im trying not to judge until I've tried it....but...cooking a steak in a warm water bath doesn't sound.....real great? no char or smoke flavor? the juices just collect in a bag and....marinate with the meat? I dunno....maybe I'm missing the art. Im kind kf a caveman with cooking....give me fire and coals and I figure ill work something out
pdub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:53 pm I’m with you TDub.

I can get my charcoal hot in 15 minutes with the chimney so while it’s not flip a switch and fire up the gas, it’s still easy enough.
^^^

Has anyone else noticed that the increased use of sous vide and feminization of the American male occurred simultaneously?

Accident?

I rest my case.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Totally.
You can’t cook with just charcoal and you can’t murder people who are loud.
We are doomed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

A lot of very high end steakhouses cook sous vide, because it means they have whatever cut at whatever doneness, more or less ready to go.

That said, the steak would be tasty but kinda weird without direct heat. So I either sear before I vacuum seal the steak, or I’ll grill or broil it at max temp when it’s done.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

so you're saying its fool proof and the skill of the chef is dwindling....prepare for the robots.

ill take your word for it....like I said, id eat it, but the thought process of it doesn't work in my brain..

also, I dont go to any high end steakhouses....or high end...anything really haha. paying $80 + for a steak seems like a ridiculous waste to me. Also....its a bit of a haul to the nearest high end steak joint...
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

While you guys enjoy feeling manly, I'm going to enjoy my perfectly done steak.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It can’t be perfectly done unless it’s manly. Didn’t you read what Feral posted?!

Though I’d add, you are searing it stove top on what, a cast iron? Why not just use the cast iron for the whole deal then? You can get great steaks if done correctly just using that and it won’t take 2 hours.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"sous vide"

The words alone threaten my masculinity, never mind the technique!
Last edited by Shirley on Fri May 26, 2023 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:53 pm I’m with you TDub.

Same here, except I gave my old kettle to a neighbor before the big move. I'll get a new one within a week of moving though. WSM is in storage as it's illegal to have them on the townhouse property so I've been jonesing for cue.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:56 am It can’t be perfectly done unless it’s manly. Didn’t you read what Feral posted?!

Though I’d add, you are searing it stove top on what, a cast iron? Why not just use the cast iron for the whole deal then? You can get great steaks if done correctly just using that and it won’t take 2 hours.
If you do that you end up with a gradient, with some layers of overcooked outside and/or undercooked inside. Sous vide you have the entire inside at the perfect level of doneness with a thin outer crust.

It's also more tender.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I guess it depends on the cut of steak.
If I have a thick cut of steak ( and generally ), I avoid the skillet altogether and go for the grill, cooking it off heat ( coals to one side ) for 30 minutes and then finishing it on the heat.

The plus side of sous vide would be thick cut steak done the right way in the winter where I will usually, if making steak, just do it on the skillet.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:26 am I guess it depends on the cut of steak.
If I have a thick cut of steak ( and generally ), I avoid the skillet altogether and go for the grill, cooking it off heat ( coals to one side ) for 30 minutes and then finishing it on the heat.

The plus side of sous vide would be thick cut steak done the right way in the winter where I will usually, if making steak, just do it on the skillet.
I do the opposite.

direct heat at the beginning, 2 minutes each side, then off to the side of the coals for 20ish minutes if indirect heat.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:58 am
pdub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:26 am I guess it depends on the cut of steak.

I do the opposite.

direct heat at the beginning, 2 minutes each side, then off to the side of the coals for 20ish minutes if indirect heat.
^^^^

that direct heat i see akin to a sear, locking moisture in
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?