Ode to Olive Garden

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Ode to Olive Garden

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:35 am While you guys enjoy feeling manly, I'm going to enjoy my perfectly done steak.
my beard grows faster when I use coals.....coincidence? I dont think so.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:05 am
Mjl wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:35 am While you guys enjoy feeling manly, I'm going to enjoy my perfectly done steak.
my beard grows faster when I use coals.....coincidence? I dont think so.
Checks out, I can't grow one
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“perfection” is so subjective when it comes to food

some of the absolute best meals i’ve had have been cooked over a campfire…ambience, flavor, satisfaction
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:02 am
TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:58 am
pdub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:26 am I guess it depends on the cut of steak.
If I have a thick cut of steak ( and generally ), I avoid the skillet altogether and go for the grill, cooking it off heat ( coals to one side ) for 30 minutes and then finishing it on the heat.

The plus side of sous vide would be thick cut steak done the right way in the winter where I will usually, if making steak, just do it on the skillet.
I do the opposite.

direct heat at the beginning, 2 minutes each side, then off to the side of the coals for 20ish minutes if indirect heat.
^^^^

that direct heat i see akin to a sear, locking moisture in
That's actually fallacy. Searing creates a lot of flavor but does not seal in anything. Resting a steak after cooking is very important, juices will redistribute back into the meat. If you cut into it right off the grill, you will see a lot of juice run out.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am
TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:58 am
I do the opposite.

direct heat at the beginning, 2 minutes each side, then off to the side of the coals for 20ish minutes if indirect heat.
^^^^

That's actually fallacy. Searing creates a lot of flavor but does not seal in anything. Resting a steak after cooking is very important, juices will redistribute back into the meat. If you cut into it right off the grill, you will see a lot of juice run out.
learn something new every day

that’s admittedly surprising, as i’ve read a number of recipes that advocate the method for this specific reason

and yes, the resting is always good (unless i’m hungry and impatient)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://grillhunters.co/searing-meat-seal-juices/

"The fact is, searing your steaks creates no “seal” or waterproof barrier to prevent the juices from escaping from the inside.

This is actually a grilling myth that just won’t die"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:19 am “perfection” is so subjective when it comes to food

some of the absolute best meals i’ve had have been cooked over a campfire…ambience, flavor, satisfaction
Yep.
Also depends on how hungry you are too.
I remember on days where I was backpacking 10-15 miles through mountains, at the end of the night the vacuum sealed meals you'd just mix with water and heat up on a camp stove were heavenly.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:04 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am
^^^^

learn something new every day

that’s admittedly surprising, as i’ve read a number of recipes that advocate the method for this specific reason

and yes, the resting is always good (unless i’m hungry and impatient)
I was taught searing sears in the juices while in culinary school, of course this was the 70s. It's been debunked but as PDub says, it won't die.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My wife uses salt and pepper and a gas grill. Rests the steak. Then the best I have ever eaten. I had been overthinking steaks.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

So I’m prolly just way late to this party…..but it’s new for me.

They sell BWW sauces at the store. $4 for a bottle of mango habanero. Alright. Tastes exactly like stuff in store (you know some hot and a cupful of sugar). But, with some wings marked down to $13, wings disjointed, seasoned, and air fried in half an hour. Just add sauce and shake to cover.

I haven’t been to BWW for a while, as I noticed their prices went crazy (worse than others, they are all bad anymore). But do love me some wings and not having to make a sauce is alright by me.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

BWW is too sweet for me. Takes 20 minutes in the air fryer. I season the wings, dredge in a mix of flour and corn starch the into the Ninja with a spray of Pam.

Sauce is Frank's with a stiff glug of El Yuccateco
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I melt Frank's and butter together for my standard wing sauce.
I prefer to do the wings on the grill.
Then toss em in the sauce - maybe add some lemon juice.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

99- sweet for sure.

I usually do a Buffalo style sauce at home. Franks/butter/Cumin/garlic/Black Pepper/white pepper/Splash of Pickle Juice.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

And pdub- usually smoke mine, but when I’m more of a rush, air fryer is great. I use baking powder instead of corn starch to get the crunch. No flour.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Lovers of Olive Garden, i.e., everyone, will be glad to know that after falling to a low of $26.15 on 3-18-20 during Covid, OG owner Darden set an all-time high of $168.72 today, an increase of almost 6.5 times in the value of its stock since the low, on the same day their acquisition of Ruth's Chris Steak House was completed.

Thanks, Joe.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The wing talk here combined with a great sale on them at Mariano's means I am grilling wings tonight.

Suggestions for a mild wing sauce? My kids don't do heat
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I googled "mild chicken wing sauce". Pretty much every result was for a buffalo sauce and included a bunch of hot sauce.

Google has gotten so, so bad
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Shirley- I haven’t been to OG in forever. But, last time I went, I ordered some Alfredo for my ‘bread’ sticks. Given my other post today, I would like you to know I ‘probably’ wouldn’t order that today :)
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:01 pm The wing talk here combined with a great sale on them at Mariano's means I am grilling wings tonight.

Suggestions for a mild wing sauce? My kids don't do heat
For grilled wings—-bbq sauce works great. I generally water it down ever so slightly to be used for this purpose. Or Parmesan garlic is fantastic