Ode to Olive Garden

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Ode to Olive Garden

Post by TDub »

easy, youre gonna wake the Q part duex. Secret of the Ous.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:42 am easy, youre gonna wake the Q part duex. Secret of the Ous.
ok, that’s funny
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cowabunga dudes.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Best pasta in the world and now, best steak.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

As someone who's very familiar with the various Darden Restaurant concepts, (Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen, Yard House, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Bahama Breeze and Eddie V's), I was quite surprised when their purchase of Ruth's Chris Steak House was announced this morning. It's so similar to their Capital Grille concept, I had to wonder why. But, in the decade since I started dollar-cost averaging into the co. in 2012 when the shares sold for ~ $40/share, and with a cost basis now of < $64/share, it's become my second largest holding (next to Apple), and the shares have almost quadrupled at a closing price of $151. 47 today. So, over the years, I've learned to trust their judgement.

I've always hated the name, but we've managed to work around it."
Ruth Fertel

What's the Ruth's Chris secret? As for almost anything having to do with food, "it's better with butter."

https://youtu.be/DDZ_jxWVo2w
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Stakes drenched in butter.
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Butter with garlic and some Chimayo chile in it.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I partially blame Ruth's Chris for my going to the Cardiologist in a couple of hours.

Gutter's long standing Ruth's Chris review.....
Their steaks are consistently very good. Great? Debatable. Very good? Not debatable - from me.

Side note - Gibsons Steak House is a well known restaurant in Chicago. An "institution" and a "go to".
Typically very good BUT once or twice I have had a not good steak there.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Get a good cut with a good trim from a good cow and it is not that difficult to prepare. I don't know what all the fuss is about.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

its all about the early sear to seal it up and give a little char. then lower heat and let the inside cook...if you go over medium rare youre doing it wrong.

I like chimichurri....but a good steak needs no sauce of any sort and its really sort of a shame to distract the flavor with a sauce.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:37 pm its all about the early sear to seal it up and give a little char. then lower heat and let the inside cook...if you go over medium rare youre doing it wrong.

I like chimichurri....but a good steak needs no sauce of any sort and its really sort of a shame to distract the flavor with a sauce.
I'm a big fan of preparing steaks sous vide, for a lot of reasons. When time allows, I'll sear before vacuum sealing.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I picked Mrs 99 up from the airport in Cinnci (actually Northern KY) last night. Went to a place called Ford's Garage. Kinda whiskey tango. Mrs 99 ordered burnt ends, I know they've never seen a whiff of smoke (unless the cooks were smokin in the kitchen) and I swear they were done sous vide.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:06 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:37 pm its all about the early sear to seal it up and give a little char. then lower heat and let the inside cook...if you go over medium rare youre doing it wrong.

I'm a big fan of preparing steaks sous vide, for a lot of reasons. When time allows, I'll sear before vacuum sealing.
I'm not fancy enough for that....but I'd eat it.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m not patient enough for that
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:32 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:06 pm

I'm not fancy enough for that....but I'd eat it.
It's the opposite of fancy. Easy as could be, not messy. Exactly the level of doneness you're going for, idiot-proof.

And - the #2 thing for my family (behind precise doneness/flavor) - is how flexible it lets you be. Get the meat in at 4:30ish, and your dinner window can be anything from 5:30-8:30.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Once we get moved, I may set one up.

It really is easy, like the old boil in bag things of the 70's and 80's just a more controlled temp.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’d just as soon toss the meat on the smoker, but maybe i’m underrating the method

probably shouldn’t knock it till i try it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:01 pm i’d just as soon toss the meat on the smoker, but maybe i’m underrating the method

same and same
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:25 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:01 pm i’d just as soon toss the meat on the smoker, but maybe i’m underrating the method

same and same
i was skeptical at first, but “santa” brought me a fancy new traeger two christmases ago (with wifi and phone app…i know), but that shit is so freakin convenient

(not to mention it smells fantastic, of course)