Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
LVCHawk

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by LVCHawk »

I swore off watching these after Randle spurned us for UK. Since this one was at 7:30 I decided to watch on my phone on the way to work. You're welcome.

Also, congrats to Duke for being mentioned during the announcement even though they weren't in his final list.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

No crap... of course they mentioned Duke and Kentucky first and foremost... though neither of them were on his final list. *Eyeroll.

Also, does this essentially count us out on Jalen Wilson? More importantly, is RJ still coming with Jalen on his visit this week??? LOL
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

I guess you can't blame a player for wanting to get paid while they await the NBA. After tomorrow, we should know what our roster is shaping up like for next year. Hoping for the best.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

punkrockhawk wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:55 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:51 am How exactly was he a drama queen?
Dragging out his recruiting and trolling the various schools recruiting him, etc. Just my opinion.
It's ultimately a minor offense, but going on ESPN (literally with an NCAA logo on his picture in the intro) under the guise of a choice between Memphis, KU and Texas Tech, when the decision has been made to play at none of them, is a bit drama-queen-ish.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So now we have to hope for Grimes to return to school? Yikes. We went from having a sucky recruiting class to a potentially excellent one now back to having a sucky one. I'd guess Jalen Wilson now ends up at either Carolina or back at Michigan after this announcement leaving us with one recruit ranked in the 40s and a couple of scrubs. Woof.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Dragging out his recruiting and trolling the various schools recruiting him, etc. Just my opinion.
He did the polar opposite of dragging out his recruiting. He reclassified, and then moved his date up several times. I am bummed we missed on the kid but let's not just make crap up to bash him with.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

My guess is that KU has about a 1% chance to get Wilson.

Priority #1 is get Dot. KU gets Dot back and you are looking at a preseason Top 5.

Priority #2 is the 2020 class.
Holidaysmore - 2005
shindig

Post by shindig »

Everybody is laughing at us.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Need DDot badly
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I bet the majority of those who wanted Grimes out the door are wanting him back.

Dotson should be back. Grimes might not stay, would he go overseas or come back to KU..?

KU is still in a really good spot with their roster, but they need one more piece on top of Dotson and possibly Grimes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 am
It's ultimately a minor offense, but going on ESPN (literally with an NCAA logo on his picture in the intro) under the guise of a choice between Memphis, KU and Texas Tech, when the decision has been made to play at none of them, is a bit drama-queen-ish.
I'd say that's a valid argument. But I don't think he reached out to ESPN, I think ESPN reached out to him once they caught wind that the New Zealand thing was legit. This is something that hasn't happened before. A kid who could qualify for any school and be a sure lotto pick decided to forgo college basketball. ESPN wanted that because that is something that is extremely unique.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Tangent: when you consider all of how the Hamptons have played this, the large offer Under Armour is throwing at RJ, and the microscope that KU is under right now, we just can’t compete for this guy. Same with the other 2 programs.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Is this just a decision hampton made for himself, or did he get info that dotson was staying in the draft?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:49 am

Tangent: when you consider all of how the Hamptons have played this, the large offer Under Armour is throwing at RJ, and the microscope that KU is under right now, we just can’t compete for this guy. Same with the other 2 programs.
From your earlier post -
"One factor that could change things: potential fallout from ongoing NCAA investigations stemming from the FBI corruption trials that recently concluded. NCAA investigations are currently underway into Arizona, Kansas, NC State and Louisville, while schools such as LSU and Oregon were also prominently mentioned in evidence and testimony presented at the trials.
NCAA postseason sanctions and/or head coaching firings could cause current players under scholarship at affected schools, as well as elite-level prospects enrolling this summer, to rethink their plans for next season".

As I said to two guys in the elevator this morning, The NCAA is fucked these days.
If they nail schools then they are damaging their product and costing networks and advertisers millions of dollars. Money matters. A lot.
If they don't nail schools, then people will rightfully call the NCAA a farce for not following through with their rules. They will be considered an even bigger embarrassment.
If the Silvio fiasco taught us anything it's that the NCAA doesn't know if they are coming or going. What's right and what's wrong. What to enforce and what not to enforce.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I like it.
If he has no interest in college ball, like he said, then go do your thing.
Bummer it was over a Kansas recruit and we had to be a 'guinea pig' in this but more kids who don't want to play in college shouldn't play in college.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But yea, I'm with punkrock, extending the announcement and then going all, 'surprise!', was stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:00 am Is this just a decision hampton made for himself, or did he get info that dotson was staying in the draft?
That whole thing seems nothing more than lip service at this point.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 am

I'd say that's a valid argument. But I don't think he reached out to ESPN, I think ESPN reached out to him once they caught wind that the New Zealand thing was legit. This is something that hasn't happened before. A kid who could qualify for any school and be a sure lotto pick decided to forgo college basketball. ESPN wanted that because that is something that is extremely unique.
Terrance Ferguson says hello. It is rare but is has happened before. Go overseas get paid for one year and then go in the draft.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

shindig wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 am Everybody is laughing at us.
Fuck everyone else, they don't count...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I'm going to need to see a high school kid go over and dominate a respectable overseas league and then go top 5 in the Draft before I am sold that what RJ is doing is 'trendsetting.' The family and the media are making this out to be way bigger than what it really is. They wanted up front money for their sons services and they found it from UA. No other college could come close to matching so they took the money.
Holidaysmore - 2005