Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
shindig

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by shindig »

I'm just a little worried. I mean if Dot and Grimes both stay in the draft, then we really don't have a starting point guard..and Garrett doesn't count.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:31 am I'm going to need to see a high school kid go over and dominate a respectable overseas league and then go top 5 in the Draft before I am sold that what RJ is doing is 'trendsetting.' The family and the media are making this out to be way bigger than what it really is. They wanted up front money for their sons services and they found it from UA. No other college could come close to matching so they took the money.
I think the trend that might be getting set is the "getting paid now."

Or, it could just be another "one-off" like Brandon Jennings and Terrance Ferguson.

It just feels rather topical given the current NCAA environment. Plus, Hampton is quite a bit better prospect than Jennings or Ferguson.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In the end, if Dotson comes back, we still have a very competitive team.
Our bigs are tops in the nation.
Garrett will be a junior. Enaruna can compete for that spot too.
And Ochai was, albeit very prematurely, being discussed for the NBA after his hot start.

Then there's Jalen Wilson and the longshot of Grimes returning.

Dotson ( who may very well play his way to an AA level next year ) is very key to all this.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

There is still that rumor from several months ago that RJ might have been caught up in some shoe money.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

hartjack8 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:20 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 am

It's ultimately a minor offense, but going on ESPN (literally with an NCAA logo on his picture in the intro) under the guise of a choice between Memphis, KU and Texas Tech, when the decision has been made to play at none of them, is a bit drama-queen-ish.
I'd say that's a valid argument. But I don't think he reached out to ESPN, I think ESPN reached out to him once they caught wind that the New Zealand thing was legit. This is something that hasn't happened before. A kid who could qualify for any school and be a sure lotto pick decided to forgo college basketball. ESPN wanted that because that is something that is extremely unique.
Terrance Ferguson says hello. It is rare but is has happened before. Go overseas get paid for one year and then go in the draft.
There were serious eligibility questions around Ferguson. He planned to go to Arizona. Hampton is the first kid who had no NCAA issues and just flat out chose to skip NCAA hoops and go overseas.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 am In the end, if Dotson comes back, we still have a very competitive team.
Our bigs are tops in the nation.
Garrett will be a junior. Enaruna can compete for that spot too.
And Ochai was, albeit very prematurely, being discussed for the NBA after his hot start.

Then there's Jalen Wilson and the longshot of Grimes returning.

Dotson ( who may very well play his way to an AA level next year ) is very key to all this.
We aren't getting Jalen Wilson after this morning. I'd guess he ends up back at Michigan.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:42 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 am

I'd say that's a valid argument. But I don't think he reached out to ESPN, I think ESPN reached out to him once they caught wind that the New Zealand thing was legit. This is something that hasn't happened before. A kid who could qualify for any school and be a sure lotto pick decided to forgo college basketball. ESPN wanted that because that is something that is extremely unique.
Terrance Ferguson says hello. It is rare but is has happened before. Go overseas get paid for one year and then go in the draft.
There were serious eligibility questions around Ferguson. He planned to go to Arizona. Hampton is the first kid who had no NCAA issues and just flat out chose to skip NCAA hoops and go overseas.
Jeremy Tyler, Brandon Jennings, Emmanuel Mudiay.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

shindig wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 am I'm just a little worried. I mean if Dot and Grimes both stay in the draft, then we really don't have a starting point guard..and Garrett doesn't count.
Grimes doesn't count either.

It's dotson or bust at this point. Even hampton wasn't really an on the ball all the time PG.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:15 am I like it.
If he has no interest in college ball, like he said, then go do your thing.
Bummer it was over a Kansas recruit and we had to be a 'guinea pig' in this but more kids who don't want to play in college shouldn't play in college.
I hate to break it to you, but I'd guess that at least half of our rotation players during the Bill Self era had something less than a desire level of "wants to play in college".

This is exactly the kind of thing that is bound to happen if you don't change the system to reflect the reality of how much money these guys are worth. It's also time to revisit the whole notion of the "exposure" you get from college making it worthwhile to play for free. Someone going to play in New Zealand obviously does not give a single fuck about TV.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think if the best talent goes to New Zealand, it’s only a matter of time til the exposure follows.

I mean if Zion went overseas, do you really think espn would have not shown a single highlight dunk?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 am This is exactly the kind of thing that is bound to happen if you don't change the system to reflect the reality of how much money these guys are worth.
I think we'll be OK.
College ball will be OK.
Deep breaths.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 am This is exactly the kind of thing that is bound to happen if you don't change the system to reflect the reality of how much money these guys are worth.
I think we'll be OK.
College ball will be OK.
Deep breaths.
It might be ok, but it's worse off. I still cannot fathom why we should want players this good to not play college basketball.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am
Mudiay and Jennings also had eligibility questions. I have no idea who Jeremt Tyler is.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:02 am I think if the best talent goes to New Zealand, it’s only a matter of time til the exposure follows.

I mean if Zion went overseas, do you really think espn would have not shown a single highlight dunk?
We already get random highlights from random dunks in random locales.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I don’t understand why some trust fund or other apparatus can’t be worked out. It is like ceding soybean exports to Russia. No good reason to send kids overseas because revenue sports want all the money from “amateurs.”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:20 am I don’t understand why some trust fund or other apparatus can’t be worked out. It is like ceding soybean exports to Russia. No good reason to send kids overseas because revenue sports want all the money from “amateurs.”
Just let them make money off name/image/likeness! It's not that hard!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I agree, Fish. Restraint of trade and impinging on income for adults, for God’s sake.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am
Mudiay and Jennings also had eligibility questions. I have no idea who Jeremt Tyler is.
Jeremy Tyler is the kid who dropped out of HS and went overseas at 16 or 17 about a decade ago. Thought he was going to be the one to set a precedent. Actually spent some time up here in Bismarck playing for the D-League team. I'm not sure he's even played 60 games total in the NBA.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am
pdub wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am
I think we'll be OK.
College ball will be OK.
Deep breaths.
It might be ok, but it's worse off. I still cannot fathom why we should want players this good to not play college basketball.
To get college basketball closer to what it should be and not a semi-pro league.
shindig

Post by shindig »

The 19 age requirement rule is ridiculously stupid. Get rid of it asap. Let high school kids sign with an NBA team, G league team, overseas team or enter college. Once they sign with "any" professional team, they are no longer eligible to play college ball. If they make a bad decision and never get to the NBA...tough, that's life.