COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Grandma wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:11 am Funniest thing of all would be if someone tested positive and they were able to identify everyone there and then made them do a mandatory 14 day quarantine.
I have my doubts that some of them would even follow the order to quarantine...and it such a mix of people as far as political beliefs go....1 thing many have in common: self employed in some way and/or business owners.

Money seems to be the driving force in whether or not many people think this is truly something to worry about.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

money, and the sense of individual liberty.

had a friend go all like NO I AINT GONNA WEAR NO MASK SO KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YERSELF.

I replied that the only OPINION being voiced is her own self-centered and short-sighted opinion that her own sense of personal freedom is more important than any greater good, cuz it's not an opinion but only a matter of FACT that if the public would collectively buy into wearing masks then it's a net gain for public health

but I suppose that's the kind of preachy antagonism that apparently does little more than ruffle the feathers of so many Mericans

cuz who needs facts when you've got freedom?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

zsn wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:43 am Just how is it that we’re seeing numbers of infections in several states INCREASING in the end of May after what we saw in February, March and April, in the US and elsewhere??

Are we really that stupid??????
yes
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Human capital stock.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 am money, and the sense of individual liberty.

had a friend go all like NO I AINT GONNA WEAR NO MASK SO KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YERSELF.

I replied that the only OPINION being voiced is her own self-centered and short-sighted opinion that her own sense of personal freedom is more important than any greater good, cuz it's not an opinion but only a matter of FACT that if the public would collectively buy into wearing masks then it's a net gain for public health

but I suppose that's the kind of preachy antagonism that apparently does little more than ruffle the feathers of so many Mericans

Hey, if it feels good do it.

And if it doesn't, don't.

50 years of that shit and of encouraging everyone to be a "nonconformist" and to "color outside the lines," and we're surprised that we have four generations of people who think that they can and should do whatever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want to.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sparko wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:15 am Human capital stock.
You've never talked to an economist before, I'd guess.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 am NO I AINT GONNA WEAR NO MASK SO KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YERSELF.
You always go back to that but its statisticaly a small percentage of people that actually are like that. Combined with your overexaggerated emphasis each time i have a hard time reading and taking the rest of your post seriously despite the fact that you sometimes include relevant data and make a point. If you would drop the hyperbole the discussion might improve.
Just Ledoux it
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 am Deaths is obviously the most important number but I would add that hospitalizations is a pretty important number too.
Depends on whether or not it is an ICU admit, in my opinion. That seems to be the limited resource people are concerned with. The rest is not ideal, but not catastrophic either.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:24 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 am money, and the sense of individual liberty.

50 years of that shit and of encouraging everyone to be a "nonconformist" and to "color outside the lines," and we're surprised that we have four generations of people who think that they can and should do whatever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want to.
^^^

I'm sure it has nothing to do with four decades of republicans, starting with Reagan, telling us not to trust the government. Or the decades of republicans using college, education, science, and experts in general as straw men, in their pursuit of power by incessantly trying to dumb down the nation.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:07 pm
Grandma wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 am Deaths is obviously the most important number but I would add that hospitalizations is a pretty important number too.
Depends on whether or not it is an ICU admit, in my opinion. That seems to be the limited resource people are concerned with. The rest is not ideal, but not catastrophic either.
I just spoke to the more than 9,000 US healthcare workers who had contracted the coronavirus as of April, and they say, with all due respect, that you can take your "opinion" and go fuck yourself.

Or, are you saying that we have an inexhaustible supply of healthcare workers, so no big deal?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/11/21254451/ ... ng-dangers

1 irresponsible person infecting nearly 100 others
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:17 pm

^^^

I'm sure it has nothing to do with four decades of republicans, starting with Reagan, telling us not to trust the government. Or the decades of republicans using college, education, science, and experts in general as straw men, in their pursuit of power by incessantly trying to dumb down the nation.
You're probably right.

But remind me again who started the "don't trust government" theme?

I mean...https://www.people-press.org/2019/04/11 ... 1958-2019/
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Feral wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:22 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:07 pm
I just spoke to the more than 9,000 US healthcare workers who had contracted the coronavirus as of April, and they say, with all due respect, that you can take your "opinion" and go fuck yourself.

Or, are you saying that we have an inexhaustible supply of healthcare workers, so no big deal?
You spoke to 9.000 people? Congrats.

I think that a) some people are going to get sick no matter what we do, b) keeping things shut down is not a viable option, c) choosing to keep things in lockdown has its own health consequences (see my post about suicide rates for evidence), and d) you can stick your opinion the same place I told you to stick your condescension and "sympathy"
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Gee, the "Evil scientists came up with The Pill and those slutty women took control of their reproduction and the Corrupt Bishops lost control of everyone else's sexuality and that is WRONG" has never been a winner, but you do go back to it.
Don't inject Lysol.
imzcount

Post by imzcount »

What's that good for the goose saying? Cover up caught! I feel for Mich living under dictatorship rule.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... t-request/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 am I don't wear a mask at the gas station when pumping gas as I'm well over 6 feet from people.
I wouldn't mock you for wearing a mask.
Neither of us can be certain if they are objectively right - not even the CDC at this point as they are still learning about this virus.
So...I can put the mask away in storage?
And if I get yelled at in a grocery store I can say, "I'm going with the WHO recommendations," like AP vs Chicago stylebooks.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Welp.

I guess we're gonna get that second wave. My guess is it'll be in about two weeks.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I go away for a few days to visit my Empire and you people have let my country go to hell while I am gone! Are we great again yet?

As I drove into town last Friday night I was greeted by an LED road sign, you know the ones that tell you there is a work zone ahead or something innocuous like that. All this one says is; "VIRUS IS HERE". If this is not graphic enough, the backdrop to this sign is an idealic little oasis of a verdant town in the middle of vast desert. Behind that there is a large storm over the Sangre de Cristo Mts and there are rays of dying sunlight coming from behind me that have thrown up a weird double rainbow over the town. All I could do was stare and wonder if I was driving into the apocalypse.

To put the place in perspective it has a population of about 2,000 people in a County of 3,100 sq miles of mountains and high desert. The next largest town is the County seat which has a population of 400. It's the sort of place where you might run into DC if he came to town for breakfast before he went to the feed store. It's the sort of town where you are talking to a stranger on Worth Street and when you exchange contacts you find out he is the County Coroner.

So I ask the coroner about the outbreak. He tells me that one month ago they had 3 total cases of covid in the County and no deaths. Now they have between 80-110 cases in the County and 1 death. They can't confirm the numbers because the head of the County Health Department resigned last week and so did the head of the neighboring County. The outbreak and the town are split by Highway 112 which is the county line. He says they have no testing capability now so we have no idea what is happening. He thinks it is getting invisibly very bad.

The town declared an emergency last week enforcing a mask in public ordinance and all hell has broken loose. There are the ranchers/farmers and the wanna be unibombers who live in shipping containers in the outlying area, many of them refuse to wear masks because, it is not "us" who is sick it is "them", so make "them" wear masks. These folks are currently driving 40 miles out of their way to get their groceries and liquor in a town that does not require masks in public. That will show them! Of course if the town grocery closes down....Then there are the townies who work on the potato and lettuce farms and they are 85% hispanic and they are content with the masks and protecting their families and are going quietly about their business in spite of a 2 week work shutdown at all of the potato warehouses. Then there is the third party to this little drama; a group of several hundred migrant workers, mostly from Guatemala, camped on the other side of the highway who are "them". When a town grows from 2,000 to 3,000 for a harvest, it puts a strain on everything.

My little piece of this place is directly across the street from the La Puente Thrift Store which is also the largest charitable organization in the San Luis Valley. This County is the one of poorest by per capita income in Colorado. A local, working in a hardware store, once described it to me as "poverty with a view". You can see the entire 50 plus mile long stretch of the Sangre de Cristo's from the edge of town and from the party deck on my roof. I have gotten to be friends with the couple that manages the thrift store, good peoples. They shovel my sidewalks when I am out of town and I shovel their's when I am in and it snows. And I bring them a slab of Bryant's ribs and sweet heat sauce every time I come out. So yeah, they love me.

She is a paraplegic that rules the town sidewalks from an off road electric wheelchair. A small petite woman with a sweet voice and demeanor. Amazingly the town has a permanent group of 4 panhandlers. When they hit up someone in front of her store she comes flying out of the store yelling, "Hey! Noodles! You can't bother people here, if you don't move along I will call the cops and they will move you along!". Noodles is the leader of the panhandlers union, he is more afraid of Tara than the cops. Then there is her husband who I have nicknamed "Iron Man", he is all of 5'-9" and about 160 pounds. He grew up Mennonite in Iowa. There has never been anything I have tried to give away to the thrift store that he can't push single handed across the rough as a cob main street on a small hard wheeled dolly. The man can probably lift twice his weight. I challenge him sometimes just to see him light up, "I don't know Harley, you sure you can get that across the street?" He gets a smirk on his face and just says, "Oh I can get it there"; then I grab the back end of the 6 foot tall glass display case to make sure the damn thing doesn't roll over and shatter in the middle Worth Street.

So the dynamic duo is responsible for distributing food, personal hygiene packets and clothing to "them" while they are in town as well as the town inhabitants who are now mostly out of work. Due to the outbreak this has to be done from a drive thru location at the police station or they have home delivery for the elderly and those who don't have a car. Right now they can't go to the other side of the highway and "them" aren't allowed on this side. Their mission is a struggle right now.

For the farmers and the County the question is can the lettuce harvest get done before everything rots in the field, they are working through a tough drought. For the townies it's when can businesses open up without masks, and for "them" it is will I get back home alive to my family?

All are giving some, but some are giving all as the saying goes.

But the view is great and a head of lettuce is still cheap.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.