F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

PortlandHawk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:15 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:54 am Kind of a tortured path, but this seems like where we're at:

* Zion walked away from a contract he'd signed with Prime Sports.

* To defend against a breach claim, Zion is saying the Prime Sports contract failed to include language that is required in state law, where a college athlete is signing something.

* Prime Sports wants to say that defense is invalid, where the athlete wasn't eligible to play college sports anyway.

I don't think that argument is a winner, but it seems like it could be enough to proceed with discovery.
What is the weakness in that train of thought? I imagine they have a couple lines of arguments so it may not be the only reason the contract should be upheld.

To me just getting Zion to answer questions makes that whole thing worth it.
I would guess there is a persuasive argument that what matters is what was, and what Prime Sports understood to be, the situation when the contract was entered into (which was that Zion was in fact an eligible college athlete).
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Would that change if they gave him benefits that made him ineligible in addition to what he received from adidas and likely nike?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

No idea. Will be a state law issue (and this isn't what I do, anyway). Just seems like a pretty flimsy defense. But I am far, far from the right person to look to on this.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:01 pm No idea. Will be a state law issue (and this isn't what I do, anyway). Just seems like a pretty flimsy defense. But I am far, far from the right person to look to on this.
Ya.

I think some may be hoping this helps us and/or results in duke getting trouble...don't see how it can help us, but duke might be a little nervous about vacating wins. Although I don't envision K or staff get close enough to the fire to get burned individually.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:04 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:01 pm No idea. Will be a state law issue (and this isn't what I do, anyway). Just seems like a pretty flimsy defense. But I am far, far from the right person to look to on this.
Ya.

I think some may be hoping this helps us and/or results in duke getting trouble...don't see how it can help us, but duke might be a little nervous about vacating wins. Although I don't envision K or staff get close enough to the fire to get burned individually.
The ways this helps us is if it takes down the other top programs a notch in recruiting and support from apparel companies and if it blows up the NCAA. I could actually see details from this hurting KU though.
Deleted User 310

PortlandHawk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:15 pm
Ya.

The ways this helps us is if it takes down the other top programs a notch in recruiting and support from apparel companies and if it blows up the NCAA. I could actually see details from this hurting KU though.
True. My hope is that the punishment panel is done with our stuff by the time this zion thing is completed so even if something "bad" comes out it'll just get lumped into whatever we get hit with by the panel. Double jeopardy of sorts.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 pm

Ya.

True. My hope is that the punishment panel is done with our stuff by the time this zion thing is completed so even if something "bad" comes out it'll just get lumped into whatever we get hit with by the panel. Double jeopardy of sorts.
i think that’d be worse

presuming it would incriminate other programs, we absolutely want all the zion stuff to come out prior to any “final judgements” on our case
Deleted User 310

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:28 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 pm

i think that’d be worse

presuming it would incriminate other programs, we absolutely want all the zion stuff to come out prior to any “final judgements” on our case
There were plenty of programs incriminated in the ncaa/fbi stuff that if they were going to let it all slide they could have. They pretty much doubled down on their rules publicly.

The panel is already working on our stuff as of yesterday iirc. We will know our fate before the end of the month is my guess. I thought the point of the punishment panel was to avoid conflicts of interest and speed things along by designating a handful of people to each case? If we're the first to go to the independent review panel then it shouldn't take months and months to look over shit they've already had for almost a year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't expect Duke to get in any trouble. But (presuming the IARP or whatever that's called is unfavorable), our last real legal arrow in the quiver would arise from arbitrariness like this.

Perhaps more importantly is the practical side - we absolutely want the waters to be as muddy as possible, for the whole sport. Duke being in the mud with us would help considerably.
Deleted User 310

Didn't we agree to the panel decision being final and non-overturnable?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Believing NCAA is failing members, UNC AD speaks out vociferously against name, image, likeness rights

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ss-rights/
"Since that phone call, I've had a lot more ADs say, 'We agree, this is way too far. If this is what you're recommending, what didn't you recommend? If we go down this path, we've … professionalized the college student,'" he said.

Cunningham said he told a member of that working group that he could not support any of the proposed NIL changes. He does support the NBA's G League that has become a minor-league alternative in basketball for those wanting to turn pro.

"We need more choices for people that don't want to participate in [the collegiate] model," Cunningham said. "I wish we had something for football right now."
Maybe Bubba really does believe everything he's saying in this story. But it sort of defies belief that a P5 AD would actually want college football to become college baseball. That probably kills scholarshipped sports, NCAA-wide.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“We’ve professionalized the college student,” as if professional opportunities aren’t the whole point of college.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:45 am “We’ve professionalized the college student,” as if professional opportunities aren’t the whole point of college.
They aren't.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so the whole point of college is the toga parties?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Well, it certainly varies from person to person and whether we're talking about for an individual student or if we're talking about it culturally or from the perspective of the college, etc, but I'd argue that, the highest purpose of college is the completion of liberal education to broaden a student's understanding of the world physically, socially, and intellectually and to contribute to society in all the ways an educated person can. Obviously some people are there to gain deep knowledge in a field in preparation for more school. Others are there for the toga parties. Learning the skills to start a career is an important part of college, but far, far from being the whole point.

I think with increasing tuition costs and the burden of student loans, it's moving in the direction of being more about getting a job, but it isn't there yet. Maybe it is if we're talking more about a technical school or a for-profit college.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, "we've professionalized the college student" just seems to undermine the whole idea that college is meant to prepare you for a professional career.

it was meant to be some reference to the common refrain in this thread that the only college students who are no longer allowed to be college students if they pursue opportunities in the professional markets for which they are trained are the *checks notes* student ath-o-letes.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

PhD, you have a job when you were going to school?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Geezer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:41 pm PhD, you have a job when you were going to school?
Yes. Work-study job that had no impact on my chosen career. Had to, academic scholarships don't approach athletic scholarships which pay tuition plus room ans board, plus a stipend worth more than I could earn from my job. I also had student loans that I wouldn't have had if I'd been an athletic schollie. I also volunteered to work in a research lab despite the fact that it was NIH funded and easily could have paid me a wage.

But I don't see what the point is. I don't have a problem with a student athlete having a part time job. I disagreed with the idea that professional opportunities are the whole point of college.

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

You have a job in your field of study?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 310

If regular students can work without restrictions on what type of work, who they're working for, or how much they're getting paid, then athletes should have the same opportunities.