COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by HouseDivided »

Leawood wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 am So go to Tulsa. It’s on Saturday so you won’t miss all that money you’re raking in. Go to the rally. Don’t wear a mask. Breath deeply. Be the strong man you are. Return home. Go to your local cafe. Tell your fellow townies what a great experience it was.

Please do that.
I have no desire to go stand in a giant crowd in the heat, much less drive to Tulsa to do so. I'm busy enjoying my life here. I'm still waiting for you to go join your fellow social justice warriors in rioting and looting, though. Put your money where your mouth is. Please do that.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:10 am Some also choose to maneuver the fungus as if it doesn't exist and hit up crowded restaurants and bars.

I'm not going to go on social media to shame them - as I agree, the social media torches and pitch forks looking for a hunk of flesh is a 'me me me' narcissistic part of us.

But pretending as if it's not there at all, ESPECIALLY if they are doing it to spite a group of people who believe it's a threat, isn't wise.
I don't know anyone who is doing anything to spite anyone. I wear my mask at church and at the grocery store to appease those around me. That's not the same as me believing it is an imminent threat to humankind - it's being a good neighbor.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Maybe I live in a unique area but i've had people walking into grocery stores or gas stations just laughing at people wearing masks, ignoring the 5 people at a time signs ( gas station ) and mumbling stuff like, 'this is so bullshit'.
There are signs on the stores recommending masks ( but not requiring ).
I am not afraid of getting it, even if i walked around normally without a mask - but I am being respectful of what the store is asking - and a lot of people up here are not.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:18 am Maybe I live in a unique area but i've had people walking into grocery stores or gas stations just laughing at people wearing masks, ignoring the 5 people at a time signs ( gas station ) and mumbling stuff like, 'this is so bullshit'.
There are signs on the stores recommending masks ( but not requiring ).
I am not afraid of getting it, even if i walked around normally without a mask - but I am being respectful of what the store is asking - and a lot of people up here are not.
I think you and I agree there. I have no desire to intentionally upset or make others uncomfortable. I don't see a point to wearing a mask, but I am not out to raise hackles just for the sake of doing so.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

There are @$$holes everywhere.

But almost every person everywhere is behaving in a kind thoughtful generous manner.

But the social media’s won’t tell you that.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am There are @$$holes everywhere.

But almost every person everywhere is behaving in a kind thoughtful generous manner.

Or it will point out that "almost every person" isnt quite as accurate as you'd like.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am You can't convince the Walruses and HD's of the world.
They believe their sources, which to the logical mind would refute because of lack of reputation/credibility, and will stick to them.
It's like trying to a convince a child that a monster isn't real after they read a scary book/watched a scary youtube movie.
Are you actually suggesting the government numbers on unemployment are accurate? No offense, but I don't believe you are that ignorant.

This is the same government that didn't admit we are in a recession until June. There are people reading this topic now that may have a job now, but won't have a job later this year.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:42 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am You can't convince the Walruses and HD's of the world.
They believe their sources, which to the logical mind would refute because of lack of reputation/credibility, and will stick to them.
It's like trying to a convince a child that a monster isn't real after they read a scary book/watched a scary youtube movie.
Are you actually suggesting the government numbers on unemployment are accurate? No offense, but I don't believe you are that ignorant.

This is the same government that didn't admit we are in a recession until June. There are people reading this topic now that may have a job now, but won't have a job later this year.
Yeah, but people might get sick if you have a job, you selfish turd!
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am There are @$$holes everywhere.

Reality doesn't get people to click on links the way that advancing the narrative will.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:02 pm

I don't know exactly how bad it will be, but some sources are predicting 60% of the jobs will return. If that's true, that would mean about 20 million people would not have a job to return to. This is what they are predicting as best case scenario. I had a friend who got laid off last week after being with his company for 16 years. I don't think we're out of the woods yet, but I obviously hope that the worst is over.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:08 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:02 pm

I don't know exactly how bad it will be, but some sources are predicting 60% of the jobs will return. If that's true, that would mean about 20 million people would not have a job to return to. This is what they are predicting as best case scenario. I had a friend who got laid off last week after being with his company for 16 years. I don't think we're out of the woods yet, but I obviously hope that the worst is over.
It depends on how many "waves" of the Plandemic they decide to put us through. Higher ed is bracing for a rocky Fall semester followed by a rocky Spring semester. Most schools are giving finals at Thanksgiving break in hopes that people will come back from Christmas break in good health.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I'll tell you what was also really screwed up. Our government allowed big companies like Wal Mart to stay open during the pandemic, but they wouldn't allow small mom-and-pop businesses to remain open. I don't think the government should get to decide which businesses are essential.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm I'll tell you what was also really screwed up. Our government allowed big companies like Wal Mart to stay open during the pandemic, but they wouldn't allow small mom-and-pop businesses to remain open. I don't think the government should get to decide which businesses are essential.
Yup. Our local hardware store went ahead and stayed open. The owner argued that, if Lowe's and Home Depot were "essential," then so was he.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:04 am Everyone knows that the fungus is still making its rounds. Some choose to maneuver the fungus in a careful thoughtful manner while attempting to go about their daily business as normally as possible in this not so normal normal. Some chose to shame and ridicule via the social media’s those that have chosen to maneuver the fungus in a careful thoughtful manner while attempting to go about their daily business as normally as possible in this not so normal normal.

Choices.
It's not a fungus. Stop saying that. it's not cute or funny, it's just wrong. It makes you sound even dumber than you are.

It's not a fungus, it's a virus. I'm not being pedantic, there's an enormous difference. You'd be less inaccurate if you called a chicken a camel. Actually, biologically humans are more closely related to fungi than we are to viruses.

Please, stop calling it a fungus. Scientific illiteracy is not a cool thing.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm I'll tell you what was also really screwed up. Our government allowed big companies like Wal Mart to stay open during the pandemic, but they wouldn't allow small mom-and-pop businesses to remain open. I don't think the government should get to decide which businesses are essential.
Yup. Our local hardware store went ahead and stayed open. The owner argued that, if Lowe's and Home Depot were "essential," then so was he.
That pretty much flies in the face of the narrative you've been trying to sell. Surely the big bad government arrested him immediately and threw away the key.

You're the one using fear as a tactic.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:10 am Some also choose to maneuver the fungus as if it doesn't exist and hit up crowded restaurants and bars.

I'm not going to go on social media to shame them - as I agree, the social media torches and pitch forks looking for a hunk of flesh is a 'me me me' narcissistic part of us.

But pretending as if it's not there at all, ESPECIALLY if they are doing it to spite a group of people who believe it's a threat, isn't wise.
It's not a fungus. Stop saying that. it's not cute or funny, it's just wrong. It makes you sound even dumber than you are.

It's not a fungus, it's a virus. I'm not being pedantic, there's an enormous difference. You'd be less inaccurate if you called a chicken a camel. Actually, biologically humans are more closely related to fungi than we are to viruses.

Please, stop calling it a fungus. Scientific illiteracy is not a cool thing.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I was trying to do so a bit mockingly like Mich and folks.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm I was trying to do so a bit mockingly like Mich and folks.
Oh, I got it.

My response to you was a bit mockingly.

But it's so fundamentally wrong that it needs to be stated. It's like having a conversation about the sun and then I refer to it as a football.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The earth rotates around a football.
Don’t be a dupe.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Psych, I put "my money where my mouth is" every month when I pay my mortgage for my condo, 200 yards from Mill Creek Park where the protests occur. I walk by them every day when I get off my bus (public transportation).

Why are you such a pussy? The pandemic is just a flu situation. It only affects the old and infirm, who are going to die anyway. You are strong. Please. Demonstrate your strong nature. Go to Tulsa. Be a man. Not a pussy. No mask. Show what you are made of.