COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:42 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am You can't convince the Walruses and HD's of the world.
They believe their sources, which to the logical mind would refute because of lack of reputation/credibility, and will stick to them.
It's like trying to a convince a child that a monster isn't real after they read a scary book/watched a scary youtube movie.
Are you actually suggesting the government numbers on unemployment are accurate? No offense, but I don't believe you are that ignorant.

This is the same government that didn't admit we are in a recession until June. There are people reading this topic now that may have a job now, but won't have a job later this year.
Feel free to provide an argument with what numbers went in to the statistics you provided and why you feel it is a more accurate representation of the unemployment rate.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm I was trying to do so a bit mockingly like Mich and folks.
Oh, I got it.

My response to you was a bit mockingly.

But it's so fundamentally wrong that it needs to be stated. It's like having a conversation about the sun and then I refer to it as a football.
I mean, you see this. Look at where fungi are and then look at where animals are. You see viruses on there anywhere? No, they're not there, they don't fit in the phylogeny. Many scientists don't even consider them organisms, because they can't live on their own outside of another species cells. We make beer and cheese and bread because of fungi, mushrooms are fungi. Viruses are short chains of DNA or RNA often contained in a protein coating. No cell, no ability to replicate on their own, no ability to perceive their environment, no motility, etc. Funguses are eukaryotic organisms, they have a nucleus, mitochondria, plasma membrane, ribosomes, cytoplasm, etc. They acquire food by absorbing nutrients from their environment. They can be large and multicellular. They're the source of a lot of our antibiotics.

All cellular organisms are more closely related to each other than they are to any viruses.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm I'll tell you what was also really screwed up. Our government allowed big companies like Wal Mart to stay open during the pandemic, but they wouldn't allow small mom-and-pop businesses to remain open. I don't think the government should get to decide which businesses are essential.
Yup. Our local hardware store went ahead and stayed open. The owner argued that, if Lowe's and Home Depot were "essential," then so was he.
But I thought all local businesses were ordered to close, destroying our economy? So now you mean, that people have a CHOICE as to whether they close or not? Huh.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am You can't convince the Walruses and HD's of the world.
They believe their sources, which to the logical mind would refute because of lack of reputation/credibility, and will stick to them.
It's like trying to a convince a child that a monster isn't real after they read a scary book/watched a scary youtube movie.
Are you actually suggesting the government numbers on unemployment are accurate? No offense, but I don't believe you are that ignorant.

This is the same government that didn't admit we are in a recession until June. There are people reading this topic now that may have a job now, but won't have a job later this year.
And? Isn't that always the case?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

It depends on where you are, I think. Out here in California, there were many businesses that were not allowed to remain open. Fortunately now, things have changed.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The unemployment rate is actually negative.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:08 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Yeah, but people might get sick if you have a job, you selfish turd!
I don't know exactly how bad it will be, but some sources are predicting 60% of the jobs will return. If that's true, that would mean about 20 million people would not have a job to return to. This is what they are predicting as best case scenario. I had a friend who got laid off last week after being with his company for 16 years. I don't think we're out of the woods yet, but I obviously hope that the worst is over.
It depends on how many "waves" of the Plandemic they decide to put us through. Higher ed is bracing for a rocky Fall semester followed by a rocky Spring semester. Most schools are giving finals at Thanksgiving break in hopes that people will come back from Christmas break in good health.
So your complaint is that you'll have an extended paid vacation from work over the holidays? The horror!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm I'll tell you what was also really screwed up. Our government allowed big companies like Wal Mart to stay open during the pandemic, but they wouldn't allow small mom-and-pop businesses to remain open. I don't think the government should get to decide which businesses are essential.
House Divided just said his Mom and Pop local hardware store CHOSE to stay open. So which is it, did the government force them to close or were they allowed to stay open? You guys need to get your stories straight.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 pm The earth rotates around a football.
Don’t be a dupe.
Sometimes it feels like it revolves around NCAA and NFL football but that's another discussion entirely.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales.
By definition we weren't in a recession until about June.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There were actually so few things that we weren't allowed to do. Only ones for me were no dine-in, no haircuts, and no going to a public gym.

Hardware store and cheeseburgers were open the entire time.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, most Wal-Marts have large grocery sections. The super centers probably do half their business on groceries.

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

The point was, we were obviously heading into a recession in March (even before covid started, the writing was on the wall) and people like Steve Mnuchin were telling us "recession is not coming". He's a total idiot and no one with any intelligence would believe him.

@two, Again, I was talking about California, HD was talking about where he is. Rules were not the same in every state. I had to reschedule a dentist appointment 3 times because the state was not allowing dentists to be open.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 pm The super centers probably do half their business on groceries.
And much higher than 50% during COVID.

Walmart was extremely important to smaller towns during COVID.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Leawood wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:33 pm Psych, I put "my money where my mouth is" every month when I pay my mortgage for my condo, 200 yards from Mill Creek Park where the protests occur. I walk by them every day when I get off my bus (public transportation).

Why are you such a pussy? The pandemic is just a flu situation. It only affects the old and infirm, who are going to die anyway. You are strong. Please. Demonstrate your strong nature. Go to Tulsa. Be a man. Not a pussy. No mask. Show what you are made of.
Because I have no desire to waste my time in Tulsa. Why is that so hard to understand? Why don't you go to a real urban area where real protests are happening - you know, to show your solidarity? Kansas City is pretty tame. Head to Atlanta or Detroit or Chicago. Be a man.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 pm The point was, we were obviously heading into a recession in March (even before covid started, the writing was on the wall) and people like Steve Mnuchin were telling us "recession is not coming". He's a total idiot and no one would any intelligence would believe him.

@two, Again, I was talking about California, HD was talking about where he is. Rules were not the same in every state. I had to reschedule a dentist appointment 3 times because the state was not allowing dentists to be open.
But that's always been the case. A recession was being predicted since mid-2019, but you can't actually call it a recession until it is one.

HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:37 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Yup. Our local hardware store went ahead and stayed open. The owner argued that, if Lowe's and Home Depot were "essential," then so was he.
But I thought all local businesses were ordered to close, destroying our economy? So now you mean, that people have a CHOICE as to whether they close or not? Huh.
Depends. That was the exception much more than the rule.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 pm The point was, we were obviously heading into a recession in March (even before covid started, the writing was on the wall) and people like Steve Mnuchin were telling us "recession is not coming". He's a total idiot and no one with any intelligence would believe him.

Of course, Mnuchin wasn't saying "no recession" because he did not believe a recession was coming.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:08 pm

I don't know exactly how bad it will be, but some sources are predicting 60% of the jobs will return. If that's true, that would mean about 20 million people would not have a job to return to. This is what they are predicting as best case scenario. I had a friend who got laid off last week after being with his company for 16 years. I don't think we're out of the woods yet, but I obviously hope that the worst is over.
It depends on how many "waves" of the Plandemic they decide to put us through. Higher ed is bracing for a rocky Fall semester followed by a rocky Spring semester. Most schools are giving finals at Thanksgiving break in hopes that people will come back from Christmas break in good health.
So your complaint is that you'll have an extended paid vacation from work over the holidays? The horror!
Lulz. You're assuming that doors will reopen/students will come back; I'm not. Colleges that aren't taxpayer funded and/or don't have a huge endowment are walking a fine line, especially in light of Fauci's dumbass pronouncements about football "probably not happening now".
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 pm The point was, we were obviously heading into a recession in March (even before covid started, the writing was on the wall) and people like Steve Mnuchin were telling us "recession is not coming". He's a total idiot and no one would any intelligence would believe him.

But that's always been the case. A recession was being predicted since mid-2019, but you can't actually call it a recession until it is one.
Fine, you can wait for the government to "officially" call it a recession. I'll look at what is actually happening in society and plan accordingly. And again, they lied about how we were not going to see a recession this year, but only the dumbest of the dumb would fall for that.