COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Geezer

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Geezer »

36,000 more today, welcome to third world America.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Geezer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:25 pm 36,000 more today, welcome to third world America.
And yet the reopening continues...not that we really ever totally shut down.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

shindig wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:51 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:05 pm I assume all you guys that still wear cargo shorts are Pearl Jam fans?
I thought everyone in Texass wore Wrangler? I guess in the summer, you just cut them and make jorts?
I very rarely wear anything other than shorts
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

EU is putting a travel ban on US. #MAGA
Last edited by zsn on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:44 pm
shindig wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:51 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:05 pm I assume all you guys that still wear cargo shorts are Pearl Jam fans?
I thought everyone in Texass wore Wrangler? I guess in the summer, you just cut them and make jorts?
I very rarely wear anything other than shorts
No shirt?
No underwear?
No socks?
No Shoes?

What type of shorts - if not cargo?

"Running" shorts?

"Cutoffs"?

"Spandex"?

"Board"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/coron ... index.html

Forgive me if i believe this is utter bullshit spewed by a propoganda machine that is as biased as the hated fox news.

Of course the protests have led to more cases, its not the only reason...obviously the reopening has contributed...but if you tell me it hasnt been on of the top reasons for the spike youre just plain lying. OR,you were lying for months about the factors and ways of transmission....one or the other
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:18 am https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/coron ... index.html

Forgive me if i believe this is utter bullshit spewed by a propoganda machine that is as biased as the hated fox news.

Of course the protests have led to more cases, its not the only reason...obviously the reopening has contributed...but if you tell me it hasnt been on of the top reasons for the spike youre just plain lying. OR,you were lying for months about the factors and ways of transmission....one or the other
Either that or it just takes a few weeks longer to see the spike.

CNN isn't generating the information. It is reporting the study that was done. And it does make an interesting point. How many thousands of people chose not to go to downtown Chicago bars, restaurants and shops during and after the protests? Was it more than the thousands of people who protested? Curfews in these cities resulted in everyone who wasn't at the protests staying home. The protests weren't simply an addition to life as normal. There are way more people in these cities who weren't at the protests than were.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The editors chose which "studies" to publish
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

regarding the spread of covid, the protests couldn't have helped.

but I dunno if you can single out the protests when Merica for weeks before the protests even started had already made up its mind we were ready to sacrifice grandma for the sake of the economy.

the plan long before the protests was to abandon any ideas the doctors and scientists had to offer in favor of some brazen Merican gusto. Who needs experts when you got a gut feeling?

remember, the first protests we'd seen this spring were not in support of black lives, but in support of bumrushing the governor's office to lift restrictions.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 289

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:18 am https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/coron ... index.html

They were a fairly balanced network pre-Trump. It seems like he went to war with them, and in response they actually became what he had been accusing them of being. It's disappointing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

to me, CNN just tried to become some left-leaning version of Fox News once they realized Fox News was getting more ratings with their breaking news and sensationalist outrage. Yay for-profit cable TV journalism?

but also to me, the big difference between CNN and Fox News is, I personally don't know anyone who watches CNN so religiously, and to the exclusion of believing other news sources, like I know folks who religiously and exclusively watch Fox News.
Deleted User 289

This isn't addressed to anyone on here in particular. I find it shocking that in 2020 I have to explain media bias to well educated people.
What's even more shocking is that there are people who watch CNN or FOX that if someone on CNN or FOX said Donald Trump has a tail, Baron is the offspring of Eric Trump and an androgynous Alien from a planet called Dumbfuckany, Nancy Pelosi has a sex dungeon in the basement of her S.F. home and she has two Black men that she keeps locked up down there, and in 2022 all the green grass east of the Mississippi will turn purple and red, people will go on social media and present it as fact.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 am to me, CNN just tried to become some left-leaning version of Fox News once they realized Fox News was getting more ratings with their breaking news and sensationalist outrage. Yay for-profit cable TV journalism?

but also to me, the big difference between CNN and Fox News is, I personally don't know anyone who watches CNN so religiously, and to the exclusion of believing other news sources, like I know folks who religiously and exclusively watch Fox News.
The Fox/CNN comparison is a micro example of the false equivalencies prevalent in our partisan politics.

Is Fox right-leaning, and CNN left-leaning? Yes. Those statements are both true.

But what they do from that ideological footing is much more deceitful, manipulative and simply false than what CNN does from its.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

“Facts have a liberal bias”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:28 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 am to me, CNN just tried to become some left-leaning version of Fox News once they realized Fox News was getting more ratings with their breaking news and sensationalist outrage. Yay for-profit cable TV journalism?

The Fox/CNN comparison is a micro example of the false equivalencies prevalent in our partisan politics.

Is Fox right-leaning, and CNN left-leaning? Yes. Those statements are both true.

But what they do from that ideological footing is much more deceitful, manipulative and simply false than what CNN does from its.
...and the average Fox News viewer will be quick to tell you that observation is just what the mainstream media wants you to believe...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:33 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:28 am

...and the average Fox News viewer will be quick to tell you that observation is just what the mainstream media wants you to believe...
Well sure. Because the right has done a very good job creating a cult-like (-like?) mentality of "anything that is not what I want to hear, is FAKE NEWS."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:34 am The editors chose which "studies" to publish
That doesn't make the study any less accurate, does it?

1) Person hates CNN
2) CNN provides story of findings of scientific study
3) Person dismisses study because it was covered by CNN

This is stupid logic.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am
TDub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:34 am The editors chose which "studies" to publish

1) Person hates CNN

This is stupid logic.
TBF, this is exactly what Trump does. He dismisses independent studies and polls that appears on CNN, but Fox News won't give as much airtime to things that aren't favorable to the president, which is why he defers to that corner.

Not saying it's right, but too many people just want to see what they want to see, and ignore the rest. Also why Florida, Texas, Georgia and Arizona are having such large COVID outbreaks right now.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NiceDC wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:12 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am

1) Person hates CNN

This is stupid logic.
TBF, this is exactly what Trump does. He dismisses independent studies and polls that appears on CNN, but Fox News won't give as much airtime to things that aren't favorable to the president, which is why he defers to that corner.

Not saying it's right, but too many people just want to see what they want to see, and ignore the rest. Also why Florida, Texas, Georgia and Arizona are having such large COVID outbreaks right now.
Trump does it intentionally to deliberately portray the news as fake while legitimizing quack journalists like OAN etc... so that he can more easily rob us in broad daylight.

And to be fair, CNN doesn't pick up and cover some things that won't be reacted to positively by their targeted audience, either. I get that.

There is no guarantee that every scientific study is run properly, their data is accurate and the conclusions drawn from the data are reasonable. But I'll believe an independent scientific study before I believe some debunked dipshit on YouTube.