COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
Walrus

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by Walrus »

Grandma wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:57 pm
It's not as clear cut as Black and White. To me part of what racism means is not just hatred but "intolerance".
I think this is where we differ. I don't think of racism as intolerance, as that can mean a lot of different things depending on the situation. If someone is intolerant of what they view as dangerous behavior, that's a good thing in my view. We have to be tolerant in public, but we don't have to accept behaviors in our personal home life that we believe are wrong. Ironically though, there is a lot of intolerance coming from the left these days in that they are calling people a "racist" who do not agree with the protests. This is true.

Discrimination is a word that sometimes can be a racist action, but not always. Now, if one is discriminating against another person based on race, then that is likely racism. If one is simply discriminating on other probabilities and factors, it may or may not be racism.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Good god. This once informative and useful thread has deteriorated into a dumpster fire with everyone pissing on it.
Just Ledoux it
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I'm sorry we failed to keep the forum up to your standards.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm
Grandma wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:57 pm
It's not as clear cut as Black and White. To me part of what racism means is not just hatred but "intolerance".
I think this is where we differ. I don't think of racism as intolerance, as that can mean a lot of different things depending on the situation. If someone is intolerant of what they view as dangerous behavior, that's a good thing in my view. We have to be tolerant in public, but we don't have to accept behaviors in our personal home life that we believe are wrong. Ironically though, there is a lot of intolerance coming from the left these days in that they are calling people a "racist" who do not agree with the protests. This is true.

Discrimination is a word that sometimes can be a racist action, but not always. Now, if one is discriminating against another person based on race, then that is likely racism. If one is simply discriminating on other probabilities and factors, it may or may not be racism.
Good point/s but I said, "part" and "not just". There are definitely times when intolerance is a positive.

As far as people being called racist because they don't agree with "the protests", I don't believe for a second that everyone who doesn't agree with the protests is racist but I do believe there are plenty of people who don't agree with the protests who are racist.

On another racism note (not sure how/why we made this thread turn in to a racism discussion without focusing on Covid-19) How do you feel about the woman in this video?

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/12 ... 3974886407
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Here Tdub, Two pieces of seemingly conflicting data:

Yesterday we had the fewest deaths since March.

But, also, we could have done a lot better a lot sooner:

I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Obviously, I don't condone that. But I wouldn't want to take away her right to voice her opinion, even if it is offensive.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

"I will teach my grandkids to hang you all" isn't an opinion but hey, you're right, she has the right to say it.
I'm wondering if someone shot her in the head and said they did it because she expressed she is going to teach her grandkids to hang me - how would hold up in court?
Sad thing is I have a strong feeling I wouldn't feel an ounce of sympathy for her if someone did it.

Back to Covid-19......

I'm wondering how soon someone claims they caught the virus at the Trump rally.
I figure there has to be ZERO way to prove it. Will be interesting to see how/if the media spins it if/when someone claims it.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:01 pm Here Tdub, Two pieces of seemingly conflicting data:

I think thats because the death rate lags. The infection rate has soared, give it 6 weeks and the death rate will be high again
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:33 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:01 pm Here Tdub, Two pieces of seemingly conflicting data:

I think thats because the death rate lags. The infection rate has soared, give it 6 weeks and the death rate will be high again
I think there's more to it than that. Look at the infection rate, at best it was flat. It never really went way down. The daily death rate has continued to drop. I think increased testing is one factor, I think treatment improvements are another, and as you mentioned deaths are a lagging stat. But even with those factors it seems like death rate is going down. Possibly the virus is less virulent now than it was prior, maybe some other factors.

In europe deaths followed positive cases, but in the us, that hasn't been the case:
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Some reports from Italy are that they think the virus is becoming significantly weaker. Apparently viral load in positive patients is much lower now than it was a few months ago.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

This board is fascinating, in so many ways...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Wasn't there some speculation early on that infection rates might dip in the summer? Whoever guessed at that didn't seem to have taken human behavior much into account. People who've been cooped up have decided to join their friends and family at the beach--getting together with those from different states. They don't much social distance, they don't wear masks and they're around each other in huge numbers. And they have big parties, only not college kids like at Spring Break, these are adults gathering together in numbers larger than 10.

The infection numbers in Florida are skyrocketing with the increased tourism. Lots of people who can't go to Mexico or the Caribbean or Europe, come to the beach in Florida this year. It will be interesting to see if the same is true in other coastal states.
Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Same people that said the sun and heat would kill it, despite the current (at that time) outbreaks in hot tropical zones.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:23 pm Same people that said the sun and heat would kill it, despite the current (at that time) outbreaks in hot tropical zones.
As far as I recall there was only one people who said that 😄
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Almost 40k today
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 pmAlmost 40k today
not good, just not good.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:20 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 pmAlmost 40k today
not good, just not good.
Yea my plan to pull a Dick Proenneke might get accelerated.........

Not sure the wife is on board with all that tho....
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We got a C- on the first quarter midterm and decided that was good enough to pack it in for the year.