Opening schools safely

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: Opening schools safely

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:51 pm Same here. Weird that we got the letter..

Our youngest graduated in May.
Red county vs blue county?

My county is at least sort of split (so there are at least a decent portion being cautious), but surrounded by all red counties for sure where even county law enforcement proclaim publicly they dont agree with the governors health guidelines.

I am seeings TONS of large graduation parties....we have just been sending checks in the mail. Fuck all that. I am not gathering in large groups for any reason....which makes it really hard for me to want to send my kid into a classroom with 20 kids when my guess is 60-70% of the parents of those kids think this is somehow a hoax to bring down trump. Clowns. Not to mention the historical evidence i have first hand of those same parents sending their kids to school sick....so excuse me for having little faith in many of my fellow parents.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

My mother-in-law just now:
Have you heard anything from [the district] about school starting? I can't believe they are even considering going back. I would keep them home if you can. Too much potential exposure. Numbers are higher now than when we did stay at home order.
I mean - put up or shut up, lady.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Stay tuned everyone...teachers everywhere are outraged right now and I have a sneaky feeling it will make headlines soon (referring to opening of in-person schools).
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

This stupid mother fucker has sat on his ass for 4 months pointing fingers, whining, playing golf, hanging out in a bunker, and whining some more...

Listen to this embicile:

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/stat ... 82465?s=21
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

This is going to be a huge mess come October.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:51 pm Same here. Weird that we got the letter..

Our youngest graduated in May.
...or did he/she?
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 am This is going to be a huge mess come September.
Fyp
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I wonder who we'll kill more of this year, desperately needed underpaid nurses or desperately needed underpaid teachers?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

We've gone over this. Teachers aren't underpaid, they can attain unworldly wealth in the summer umpiring baseball games, opening a fireworks stand, or selling crafts on etsy. Also, you're not allowed to feel bad for the first year teacher with student loan debt and not enough money for a down payment on a house making $34k a year because in places like NYC there are teachers with higher degrees and 30 years of experience and administrative roles whose salaries make the average national salary look acceptable.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:03 am We've gone over this. Teachers aren't underpaid, they can attain unworldly wealth in the summer umpiring baseball games, opening a fireworks stand, or selling crafts on etsy. Also, you're not allowed to feel bad for the first year teacher with student loan debt and not enough money for a down payment on a house making $34k a year because in places like NYC there are teachers with higher degrees and 30 years of experience and administrative roles whose salaries make the average national salary look acceptable.
Also, we're about to give all of our teachers the prestigious Hero* moniker, so that has to count for something.

* People who we want to make ourselves feel better about not treating better in the ways that count.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:13 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:03 am We've gone over this. Teachers aren't underpaid, they can attain unworldly wealth in the summer umpiring baseball games, opening a fireworks stand, or selling crafts on etsy. Also, you're not allowed to feel bad for the first year teacher with student loan debt and not enough money for a down payment on a house making $34k a year because in places like NYC there are teachers with higher degrees and 30 years of experience and administrative roles whose salaries make the average national salary look acceptable.
Also, we're about to give all of our teachers the prestigious Hero* moniker, so that has to count for something.

* People who we want to make ourselves feel better about not treating better in the ways that count.
Maybe we could get together with a film crew, call the teachers out of the building and give them a big round of applause. That'd surely make it all worth it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am I wonder who we'll kill more of this year, desperately needed underpaid nurses or desperately needed underpaid teachers?
Nurses is my guess....but they will also be better protected and prepared (albeit still vastlt underprotected ppe wise) even though they are more exposed in a hospital setting.

Teachers will have little training and little ppe.....and will be packed into rooms filled with kids...and half those kids (give or take) are being raised by parents who think this is a hoax.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am quite concerned that opening schools will inevitably result in some kids getting beaten.

Not hard to imagine - a kid goes to school, and is (rightfully) told to follow distancing and mask measures that the parents think is lib'ral, Democrat propaganda. Kid asks the parents why they don't follow the rules. Over a large enough sample size, some bad things will happen.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pols boredy, I know, but it’s almost like one side of the aisle has politicized, even weaponized, ignorance itself.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am Pols boredy, I know, but it’s almost like one side of the aisle has politicized, even weaponized, ignorance itself.
I know plenty of dems in my area going to bars, having parties, not wearing masks, and screaming for schools to open up fully....and i know plenty of republicans on the exact opposite side of those feelings....so it isnt solely republicans who are being ignorant about covid. You really think all the young people not giving a fuck are conservatives? Lulz.

So it isnt as 1 sided as you would think...although i do agree that the right has a more vocal group screaming it is all a hoax. They also have more people in rural areas that arent nearly as impacted by this due to natural distancing that occurs in less densely populated areas.

Like with almost everything, many people seem to let their personal needs/wants dictate what they view as "truth/reality".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Political party affiliation of them and their parents may play in some but the golden rule that young people, especially in groups, are dumb and get even dumber when alcohol is involved still stands.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KiDs ThEsE DaYs!!!!
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

At least some of CnB's family and thousands of others can sleep better knowing what country they will be in this fall. Glad this didn't need to go through the courts.

Trump administration rescinds international student policy

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... om-foreign
The Trump administration on Tuesday rescinded a policy that would have stripped visas from international students whose courses move exclusively online amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The move comes after the policy announcement last week sparked a flurry of litigation beginning with the suit brought by Harvard and MIT, followed by California's public colleges and later a coalition of 17 states.

Judge Allison Burroughs, a federal district judge in Boston who was expected to preside over oral arguments in the Harvard-MIT, made the surprise announcement at the beginning of the court proceedings Tuesday.

DEVELOPING
Last edited by Deleted User 318 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Good news.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It was going to be fluid. But some unneeded stress for so many is officially gone.

Still, just infuriating how easy it was for an out of touch few to make a decision that would deeply affect so many.