No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by TDub »

Boating, golfing, hunting, hiking, jogging, riding etc are all pretty low risk activities.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

NiceDC wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:49 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 pm I missed the whole boat thing i think...

What is the risk/problem covid wise with being on a boat?
Michigan’s governor, early in the pandemic, put restrictions on personal watercraft, citing human contact possibilities for fueling, supplies, and the risk of taking emergency workers away from COVID things if a boat became distressed. Mich basically ranted about it for a few days, and some of us use it for good ribbing, or classism arguments. I just like keeping the magic alive.
Gotcha.

Those are valid points. Especially the Emergency personnel aspect. As far as fueling and supplies, i havent been inside a gas station or a grcoery store since February or March....but like gutter said, people suck at using common sense and not having multiple households of people on their boat...and that rightfully ruins it for everyone.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

TDub wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:55 pm Boating, golfing, hunting, hiking, jogging, riding etc are all pretty low risk activities.
Absolutely, and I encourage all these activities in order to keep sane and busy, and keeping the economy going. But this was very early in pandemic, when Detroit was super hard hit, and no one knew what was going on. People were just trying to figure what was going on, and Mich was crying that he couldn’t take his boat out, showing very little empathy.

If Mich wasn’t wishing death on so many Americans since then, maybe some of us would be a little more sympathetic now.
Last edited by Deleted User 318 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NiceDC wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:04 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:55 pm Boating, golfing, hunting, hiking, jogging, riding etc are all pretty low risk activities.
Absolutely, and I encourage all these activities in order to keep sane and busy, and keeping the economy going. But this was very early in pandemic, when Detroit was super hard hit, and no one knew what was going on. People were just trying to figure what was going on, and Mich was crying that he couldn’t take his boat out, showing very empathy.

If Mich wasn’t wishing death on so many Americans since then, maybe some of us would be a little more sympathetic now.

Oh yea, no i get that part of it.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Grandma wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:28 pm I'm too stupid to know if you are trolling or not. Ask MICH about the boat "thing".
As far as the answer to your question, a lot of variables. I look out my window/s and see as many as 25 people congregating on some boats - NONE of which are wearing masks, social distancing, etc.
I don't give a shit if/when they infect one another. I do give a shit when my mother who DOES wear a mask in public, social distances, etc., can't go to the hospital to get treatment/s because these assholes are spreading the virus to others. Possibly her included.
I wasn't trolling.

Ya lots of variables for sure. Being on a personal boat with only people from your own household seems like a nearly no risk activity imo. What you described is stupid and risky.
I agree 100% in terms of being on your own boat - with people you know are not carrying the virus.

Just as I wouldn't want to get on a bus, train, plane, without wearing a mask, and/or properly distancing, I would be extremely hesitant to get on a boat with people I don't know who aren't wearing masks nor physically distancing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Not even sure where to put this one, but interesting paragraph

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEaFrtIJo6i ... hh7tmj7a30
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

#MAGA!!

USA is great on spite of the majority of its population, not because of it. We “put a man on the moon” due to the direct efforts of a few thousand people and the remaining population staying the he!! out of the way. Just imagine what would have happened had someone like the Koch brothers thought it was a bad idea to spend tax dollars in that manner!!

And this is also the reason that we won’t allow meaningful reform in how health care is accessed/distributed.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I talked to my dad about healthcare, and I dunno where he’s getting the idea from (coughFOXNEWScough), but he’s firmly of the belief that healthcare should be for those who can afford it, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just another freeloader looking for gummint handouts.

Though when I asked him what he thought about the fact that, without even going to the doctor or getting any treatment or otherwise dipping into my deductible, I spend more on health insurance premiums per month than I do on rent, he didn’t have a good answer.

When I asked if his belief would logically conclude with ending Medicare and Medicaid, he had even less of an answer.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

GET THE GOVERNMENT’S GRUBBY HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY!!

MAGA!!!!!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ive paid into both of those for decades. I expect there will be nothing left when it comes time for me to retire. Wish i had the option to opt out and invest myself, plan my retirement instead of beong required to allow government to use my money and portion it out to me down the road
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

actually the correct answer we were looking for was, “repeal Obamacare...”
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:26 pm Ive paid into both of those for decades. I expect there will be nothing left when it comes time for me to retire. Wish i had the option to opt out and invest myself, plan my retirement instead of beong required to allow government to use my money and portion it out to me down the road
But before that, do want to have the option to opt out of your employer (partially) paid health care and buy into an insurance plan of your choice, perhaps one administered by Medicare or the VA? I know I do!!

LOL, ousie!!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Tdub does make a point tho that the gummint is broke.

It blows my mind there isn’t more popular support for making 1 percenters pay their fair share.

We vilify freeloaders, except those who need help the least.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

With less big governement the corporations lose s lot of those big benefits and breaks. More of peoples money stays with people and in their local economies
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:26 pm Ive paid into both of those for decades. I expect there will be nothing left when it comes time for me to retire. Wish i had the option to opt out and invest myself, plan my retirement instead of beong required to allow government to use my money and portion it out to me down the road
I'd rather not go back to old people eating cat food and begging en masse in the streets.

How about getting rid of or raising the cap?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I wish we could trust people to prepare their finances to include forecasting their retirement on their own.

Also, i did say option to opt out, not a requirement to i
opt out
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

99 has been paying into SS since the mid 70's. He'd like to see some return on it. And for the republicans to quit trying to kill it.
Defense. Rebounds.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

It's very unlikely that you could ever invest enough in retirement funding to provide for yourself, but it's a great fantasy that the "tough guy" libertarian types have and they love the 1%. Of course, when you can no longer work as a carpenter, that fantasy might go bust, because the 1% may not have gotten to your area yet, but soon they'll be bringing in the illegals who'll work for a fraction of what you earn and those "I can do my own investing" fantasies will also be busted.
Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The avg return on soc. Security is 4.5%

The avg return on stock market investments over the last 100 years is 10%.

Fuck this bullshit echo chamber
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

In my long ago grad school life, the economics of aging was my specialty and I read all the research on how your investment fantasies don't pan out as better in the real world. Then, I grew up and watched people who grew older who'd done well and lost their investments for one reason or another. One of them wound up living in my downstairs, on Social Security, where we made a small apartment for him.

It's a long way from where you are to being old enough to get Social Security and there are lots of events that can devastate one's portfolio, not to mention that investing doesn't always result in the returns that you envision.
Don't inject Lysol.