RIP Kansas Comet

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

RIP Kansas Comet

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Gale Sayers passed away today at age 77.

The greatest Kansas Jayhawk in its football history. A HOF despite playing less than 70 games. An all-time great.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Re: RIP Kansas Comet

Post by holidaysmore »

Seems like we are due time for some sort of memorial to Gale at the football stadium...(wink)

RIP, KS Comet.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That rookie season.

"The greatest rookie season in NFL history belongs to Gale Sayers of the Chicago Bears.

He did it all in 1965. He rushed for 867 yards and 14 touchdowns on 5.2 yards per carry. He caught 29 passes for 507 yards and six scores. He returned 16 punts for 14.9 yards per return, including a touchdown. And he returned 21 kicks for 31.4 yards per return, including a touchdown.

In all, Sayers scored 22 touchdowns, the most in a single-season in league history at that point. His 2272 all-purpose yards also set a single-season record.

His performance against the San Francisco 49ers on December 12, 1965 is probably the single greatest game by any player in NFL history. He scored six touchdowns, four on the ground, one through the air and one on a punt return. He collected 113 rushing yards, 89 receiving yards and 134 punt return yards. That's a total of 335 all-purpose yards."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

get the man a statue
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That sucks. RIP.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 am get the man a statue
Can say this 100 times. Don't know why it has taken until now anyway.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:58 am
Can say this 100 times. Don't know why it has taken until now anyway.
this likeness

https://www.psacard.com/autographfacts/ ... sayers/652

and, Wilt needs a statue too
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yes and yes Trad.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I met Sayers at a function I was bartending at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs back in the mid-90s. I looked up to take the next order, recognized him immediately and gave him a "Rock Chalk" and his eyes lit up and he started laughing. He circled back to the bar during a quiet time in the event and we chatted about KU and the basketball team at the time for probably 20 minutes. It was surreal and fascinating and I'll never forget it. I think I have his autograph from that night hidden away somewhere down in my basement. He was soft spoken but confident and seemed too be a genuinely nice man.

RIP, Mr. Sayers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What did he drink?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Had the same kind of interaction with him in the early 2010s. Went to a KU game at Memorial. Was entering through the southwest part of stadium, and he got to park in the parking lot that was right there. I think he was an "ambassador" for the university at that time. I walked by his car not knowing who was there, and he popped out said hey to everyone and before I know it, we had a conversation for a few minutes about the team and how they were looking and expectations. He was so kind, so quiet yet so personable that he was so easy to talk to. Like you said, he was quiet but confident with the way he talked and how passionate he was.

Didn't feel right to ask for an autograph, because we had a genuinely good conversation about something we were both passionate about, but kicking myself down the road.

chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

He was the "pro football expert" on a Chicago radio station for a few years about 10-15 years ago. Wasn't very good, in large part to what I assume was a stutter. He said he always took a week off once a year to go to a hospital for a comprehensive physical. I wondered if there was a history of something in his family he was trying to stave off.

He a Dick Butkus were selected in the same draft and I believe neither saw a playoff game. Despite having two of the best players in football history the Bears were horrible during these years. My parents were at the game against the 49ers at Wrigley.

And he loved Brian Piccolo.

So sad to hear about this. Get 48 a statue.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:50 am He was the "pro football expert" on a Chicago radio station for a few years about 10-15 years ago. Wasn't very good, in large part to what I assume was a stutter. He said he always took a week off once a year to go to a hospital for a comprehensive physical. I wondered if there was a history of something in his family he was trying to stave off.
I know he had dementia and his health greatly diminished over the last 5-6 years. He could barely speak a year or so ago when the Bears had their 100th anniversary.

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I find Newton and twocoach's interactions with him to be interesting.
The couple of times I interacted with him I noticed a big difference.
When I and others gave him praise - he was a terrific guy. When I and others didn't, he wasn't much more than generally a bitter unpleasant man.
Seems my experiences were pretty much the norm - from what I have heard.
Probably wasn't too easy nor enjoyable for him to live in an area where many/most people didn't even know who he is/was while everyone knew who Walter Payton is/was.

He was a great talent and for his sake, I know he wasn't well, so hopefully he can now be and rest at/in peace.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:20 am Yes and yes Trad.
Agreed.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:49 am Had the same kind of interaction with him in the early 2010s. Went to a KU game at Memorial. Was entering through the southwest part of stadium, and he got to park in the parking lot that was right there. I think he was an "ambassador" for the university at that time. I walked by his car not knowing who was there, and he popped out said hey to everyone and before I know it, we had a conversation for a few minutes about the team and how they were looking and expectations. He was so kind, so quiet yet so personable that he was so easy to talk to. Like you said, he was quiet but confident with the way he talked and how passionate he was.

Didn't feel right to ask for an autograph, because we had a genuinely good conversation about something we were both passionate about, but kicking myself down the road.

Great story. I'm jealous.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:44 am I met Sayers at a function I was bartending at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs back in the mid-90s. I looked up to take the next order, recognized him immediately and gave him a "Rock Chalk" and his eyes lit up and he started laughing. He circled back to the bar during a quiet time in the event and we chatted about KU and the basketball team at the time for probably 20 minutes. It was surreal and fascinating and I'll never forget it. I think I have his autograph from that night hidden away somewhere down in my basement. He was soft spoken but confident and seemed too be a genuinely nice man.

RIP, Mr. Sayers.
Awesome. RIP, one-and-only.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

It’s already made. He was involved in the process.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Soklous wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:43 am

It’s already made. He was involved in the process.
Yep.

“In less than two weeks, we will be unveiling the Gale Sayers statue at halftime of the Oklahoma State game on October 3rd. Thankfully Gale was able to be involved throughout the sculpting process and had a chance to see photos of the finished statue. It is a long overdue honor and will be a bittersweet ceremony, but this will allow us the opportunity to forever immortalize another KU football legend.

https://kuathletics.com/kansas-comet-ga ... way-at-77/