KU vs OSU Gameday Thread

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 289

Re: KU vs OSU Gameday Thread

Post by Deleted User 289 »

You guys keep bitching on here. Which is what you should be doing. But.... While posting on here may help you vent and release your anger and frustration, what good is your bitching on here actually doing to help fix the problem? What if anything can and will be done to fix the problem?
I don't see us leaving the Big 12 and what good would going elsewhere do us? We would be shit in any other major conference. Can/do we go "independent" in Football? Being in the Big 12 has been a disaster.
Other than 2005 and 2007, we have never had a winning record in the Big 12 conference.
Since 2009.....
1-7
1-7
0-9
0-9
1-8
1-8
0-9
1-8
0-9
1-8
1-8

ZERO/NO good excuse for the massive failure.

On a positive note.
I enjoy reminding my ND acquaintances of this.
KU Football has won one more BCS game than ND has won this millennium.
So we have that going for us.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Kansas needs hardnose football coaches. Not incompetent (Gill, Beaty) or old and tired (Weis, Miles).

I consider this year a wash. Let’s see what happens next year.

This is the worst cycle in my lifetime. I trust Miles knows how to build a respectable program.

There was a recent article about Saban’s first job at Toledo. One year. I can’t find the link, but it is required reading. Reminded me of Glen Mason.

When Glen Mason was hired, he would make the team run the hill in front of the Wheel until they puked. That is what KU needs. Saban did something similar to that at Toledo and kicked off the first team QB when he complained. KU needs that.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Miles knew this wasn't a quick turnaround coming in. He is the first HC we've had in a few years that understands the roster issue and is willing to pay the price to fix it. It sucks for the fans and the current players but someone has to withstand the criticism and stick it out.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

AlOerter wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:30 pm Miles knew this wasn't a quick turnaround coming in. He is the first HC we've had in a few years that understands the roster issue and is willing to pay the price to fix it. It sucks for the fans and the current players but someone has to withstand the criticism and stick it out.

Totally agree
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep for sure. It’s a 4+ year rebuild. Beaty literally screwed the pooch on the entire process when he knew his job was on the line and he recruited more JUCO guys then high school kids.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We've all been done this scenario before. The previous AD's and coaches set back KU 100 years. Roster upheaval which set back our scholarships. I agree that Miles is doing the best he can given the circumstances and off the field it appears that he is doing the right thing with classes full of high school kids that are building for the future. Hell, his biggest wins might be that he hasn't had any kids de-commit yet.

That being said, again, you can't tell me that was the best game plan KU could have come up with for Saturday. Luke Meadows gets paid 200k a year and that is the best you can get from an offensive line that starts four seniors and one sophomore. It isn't like these are small, 5'10 guys either. They are all, at least listed over 6'3 and 300 lbs. That was pathetic. Meadows isn't a Miles guy so if he isn't cutting it Les, as a former o-line guy should take over. Simply your scheme and do something to help out your QBs.
Dearmon gets paid 225k a year and that was the best you can do on offense. No way. I don't know anything about their scouts, keys or game plan but I can tell you this whatever it was on Saturday isn't going to cut it. They have pieces on the offensive side and if Dearmon is the genius we all thought he was lets see it.
Maybe I'm just pissed for being subjected to a decade of some of the worst football in the history of college football but eventually we as fans gotta say enough is enough. No more excuses we need results.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

They’re not excuses, they’re reasons.

There’s actually a difference between those two.

I’m not happy with what I saw on Saturday either, but it wasn’t much worse that what I expected. This year is not going to be enjoyable. If that is your expectation, maybe you should just take this year off.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah. Kind of my thinking too Cascadia. I'm not expecting a lot. But I will tune in to watch because it's my team. And I will talk all sorts of shit if they come close or pull one out.

But this team lost 4 starters in the defensive secondary. Lost some big time guys up front on both sides of the ball, one was drafted to the NFL. Carter Stanley was a 5th year senior who had experience, now they are starting a 17 year old true freshman who plays every down when he's not banged up.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Ehh, maybe you guys are right. I'll be right back in front of the TV on the 17th and hoping for the best.

So, with another bye coming up. Is KU favored or do you take the bye?
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think the 5-10 people who post here about KU football get it. We'd probably all agree that we want Miles to recruit HS players, knowing that slows the rebuild, but it ultimately gets us in a better position and is MUCH better longterm. We're all also aware of how far behind we are talent/depth wise, etc.

But goddam it would be A LOT easier to be patient if we had some tangible indication of improvement to hold on to. Whatever that could be. A win would have been nice, even if it was CCU, but it could also just be that we look better, and I really can't say that's the case right now. I wish we had a unit, or position, or player to really be excited about, and say, "yeah, ______player or ______position looks really, good, once we get everyone else to that spot we'll be in good shape" But there's nothing like that to point to. I know many hold our skill position players in high esteem, but they haven't done anything yet to be excited about, which may just be a QB and O-Line issue, but until you see it you something it's tough to be excited about potential.

So, I think we all get why we are where we are, but I wish there were some more positive signs. I mean, is there a player where you go, that' guy's bought it, he's been coached up, that you get excited about?

I think MIles is doing it the right way, but I'd would like to see more improvement, I'd like to see more "coaching up" or having a couple guys that exceed expectations, I'd like to see some more obvious improvements in S&C and at the training table, and I'm not sure we're seeing that. (Usually we look like a JV squad getting ready to scrimmage the varsity by comparison to our opponents) And again, that's because of the status of our roster, but guys at the Anytime Fitness fill out a pair of shoulder pads better than a lot of our guys do.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Exactly.
You look at the Boston College game last season and you're excited.
Or the loss at Texas where Pooka went nuts and they had to kick a FG with no time left to win.

This is a crazy year that in my eyes doesn't count for much - so I guess of all years, this one works to be so shitty in - but in the six quarters i've watched I see nothing that seems leftover/exciting that we can build off of from last season.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:54 am Ehh, maybe you guys are right. I'll be right back in front of the TV on the 17th and hoping for the best.

So, with another bye coming up. Is KU favored or do you take the bye?
Take the bye!
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

With the bye week, now is the time for conditioning.

Running hills will guarantee their best effort.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Get them all sunglasses so they won’t freeze in the headlights.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Now granted this team doesn't have a QB but again, this team should be better than what they have shown. They have talented guys especially on offense. Find ways to get the ball to those guys. It is hard with a constant revolving door at QB but even when Daniels was in the game that first series was awful. Put in a game plan that will make your players successful. I just didn't see that offensively against Baylor.

I'm not even asking for wins I'm talking about tangible evidence this program is moving in the right direction. Last year I thought they were but through three games I believe they have regressed.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:15 am Now granted this team doesn't have a QB but again, this team should be better than what they have shown. They have talented guys especially on offense. Find ways to get the ball to those guys. It is hard with a constant revolving door at QB but even when Daniels was in the game that first series was awful. Put in a game plan that will make your players successful. I just didn't see that offensively against Baylor.

I'm not even asking for wins I'm talking about tangible evidence this program is moving in the right direction. Last year I thought they were but through three games I believe they have regressed.
Yes.

And I think you hit on one of the frustrating aspects of this, which is we know we don't have a great roster, but we should have good coaches. So, while I'm prepared for us to run out of gas due to lack of depth, or just to see the talent disparity show up over the course of 4 quarters, I've been more than a little disappointed with the starts on offense. We can't script a series of plays that play to our strengths and have our guys ready to execute that plan on the opening possession? We should be able to do that.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That seems to be Dearmon's biggest problem. Slow starts on offense. Then when it's figured out, the game plan becomes too one-dimensional and it cuts out the entire RPO offense.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

And to that point I wonder if that is Les or Dearmon. Who has the final say or the most input. I do believe that most of this comes from the fact they don't believe they have a QB. They were all in on Franks and once he committed to Arkansas that really set back what they had envisioned for this year. Then the pandemic hits and you lose spring ball, lost reps and now here we are. I hope that things start to look better as each game goes on as guys get more reps.
Holidaysmore - 2005