Offseason thread

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Offseason thread

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:32 am I wonder if at least one of Jalen, Tristan, TGIF will be too good not to play.

It would also be great if we have a bunch of guards who are too good not to play too, but we can still play small ball with wings, and that leaves 3 NBA-potential wings on the bench.
Enaruna is the wildcard. At his size, if he can do the things it looks like he might be able to do, he is a problem. And perhaps the best pro on the team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah. 6'9" with wingspan, can slash, can shoot. if he can guard a guard, oh boy.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I think bow and arrow boy might be the best pro on the team solely because of his shooting.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 am yeah. 6'9" with wingspan, can slash, can shoot. if he can guard a guard, oh boy.
The problem is, wingspan giveth and wingspan taketh away.

What's so unique about Durant, for example, is that he can handle it as effectively as he does despite the ball traveling so much more than it does with a guard-sized guard.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

I know the wing position is probably the more intriguing of the conversations, but I think the big rotation is going to be right up there in terms of impact on the season. I really hope DMac, SDS, and Lightfoot have developed and I wonder what muscadin will be, if anything, this season.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:14 am I hated the bow thing when Jamal Murray did it - i still think he's a great player.

If Marcus Smart was shooting bows and then flipping on our court after beating us, we'd be loosing it.
It's like slapping the floor on defense.
Just don't.

Even more reason to do so.

Braun and Lightfoot already know and embrace that they will be the most hated duo in the Big 12.

Tyler Murphy it the f up.
I am, I said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I've said this before, but I expect SDS to play over Lightfoot.

again.

Mitch is just sort of a tweener big, so that leaves him as either a third string center, or a matchup specific 4 man, and I just don't know how many of those types of 4 mans we'll match up against.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am I've said this before, but I expect SDS to play over Lightfoot.

again.

Mitch is just sort of a tweener big, so that leaves him as either a third string center, or a matchup specific 4 man, and I just don't know how many of those types of 4 mans we'll match up against.

Probably need to look at the nudie boys pic again if you think Mitch is the tweener and the guy next to Teahan isn’t.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 310

Ya SDS and Mitch are about the same size....and Mitch is better at basketball.

I still think SDS will get minutes as the back up 5 because he is better suited to be a lone big in theory/on paper.

Mitch will also likely get time next to McCormack and SDS likely won't. I know that will make some people mad because they think Mitch sucks.

I don't expect either of Mitch or SDS to play more than 12-15mpg very often. McCormack will be in that 30mpg+ range almost every night.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:17 am Ya SDS and Mitch are about the same size....and Mitch is better at basketball.

I still think SDS will get minutes as the back up 5 because he is better suited to be a lone big in theory/on paper.

Mitch will also likely get time next to McCormack and SDS likely won't. I know that will make some people mad because they think Mitch sucks.

I don't expect either of Mitch or SDS to play more than 12-15mpg very often. McCormack will be in that 30mpg+ range almost every night.
You can bet on McCormack to be at least 2nd Team All Big 12 this year, because that's just literally what Bill and his staff do with every talented big that comes through. Like clockwork.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:20 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:17 am Ya SDS and Mitch are about the same size....and Mitch is better at basketball.

You can bet on McCormack to be at least 2nd Team All Big 12 this year, because that's just literally what Bill and his staff do with every talented big that comes through. Like clockwork.
And i don't expect us to manage his work load AT ALL because he came here thinking Dok would be gone after season 1. They owe him to let him showcase his abilities as much as possible this year. Kid would have 40+ starts under his belt already at literally any school other than Kansas.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:22 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:20 am

And i don't expect us to manage his work load AT ALL because he came here thinking Dok would be gone after season 1. They owe him to let him showcase his abilities as much as possible this year. Kid would have 40+ starts under his belt already at literally any school other than Kansas.
He has no history to suggest he needs to be managed. Which has not been the case for us at that position since...Withey?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Soklous wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am I've said this before, but I expect SDS to play over Lightfoot.

again.

Probably need to look at the nudie boys pic again if you think Mitch is the tweener and the guy next to Teahan isn’t.
This is part of what was frustrating about his inability to play alongside Dok. It's not like SDS is 6'11" 280.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

in the age of small ball though, I don't think that's much of a factor any more.

we really don't evaluate bigs based on whether they can play alongside other bigs.

all I know is, I'm not sure we make that final four run in 18 with Mitch as our second best big.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Silvio's been snake bit though. It's crazy he's a senior but has only played in like 8 games so far.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:47 am Silvio's been snake bit though. It's crazy he's a senior but has only played in like 8 games so far.
particularly given what we all saw from his first handful of games

such an unfortunate set of circumstances for him
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 am in the age of small ball though, I don't think that's much of a factor any more.

we really don't evaluate bigs based on whether they can play alongside other bigs.

all I know is, I'm not sure we make that final four run in 18 with Mitch as our second best big.
We tried it for a third of last season, so it clearly IS a factor. And we're talking about how many minutes he plays alongside McMack.

Also, to your point, he is more of a classic PF (like Mitch) than the ideal lone big man (Dok) in a 4 out scheme.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Silvio? a classic PF?

I was under the impression he looked out of place last year trying to play PF, cuz he's actually more of a classic C.

I think it's just that we've grown spoiled. Ideally every lone big would be 7 feet tall and 260-280+ with 7'7" wingspan, but it's not like Silvio at 6'9" 245 is necessarily small.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:01 pm Silvio? a classic PF?

I was under the impression he looked out of place last year trying to play PF, cuz he's actually more of a classic C.

I think it's just that we've grown spoiled. Ideally every lone big would be 7 feet tall and 260-280+ with 7'7" wingspan, but it's not like Silvio at 6'9" 245 is necessarily small.
I think 6'9" 245 is being very generous, even by KU standards.

He did look out of place trying to play PF last year, but he's built like one, which was my point. Go back to your nudies like Sokluos said. He looks much more like Mitch or even Enaruna than McCormack.

You just got done saying Mitch is a tweener and therefore won't play, now we're spoiled because we want a big to be big...so which is it?
Last edited by PhDhawk on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 am in the age of small ball though, I don't think that's much of a factor any more.

Not a chance we make the '18 run without him. He was fantastic in that role. He's a 5 but has the body of a 4.

But, weird as it sounds, he might be able to play 4 next to McCormack better than he could next to Udoka.