Offseason thread

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Offseason thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I'm betting on Bill Self, then Marcus Garrett will be a 1st-2nd team AA.

If I'm just betting on Marcus Garrett from what we've seen, I'm a little less positively sure he will make that last big step.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

honestly, I clicked on that link, looked at the photo and thought "poor JFish doesn't know he clicked on a women's cbb article."

Guess I've become the old man complaining about today's hair styles
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Could be a year where we have 4-5 guys averaging between 10 and 13 ppg so no one stands out for individual awards.

Could also see McCormack averaging a double double.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Garrett's scoring numbers will go up just by virtue of having the ball full time. His other rate stats are already comparable with/better than Tyshawn's as a senior, and he is a world-destroying defender (as opposed to a merely very good one).

Tyshawn was Third Team AA. I think that's Garrett's floor.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Tyshawn averaged almost 17pts per game. MG may have a hard time getting there. Ty averaged 5ast per game, and i expect MG to be there or higher seeing as how he was close to 5ast per game last year.

I see MG averaging like 12pts 6ast and 5rebs per game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:31 pm Tyshawn averaged almost 17pts per game. MG may have a hard time getting there. Ty averaged 5ast per game, and i expect MG to be there or higher seeing as how he was close to 5ast per game last year.

That's three points more than last year. When he shared the ball with an AA guard.

He'll end up at 15+ ppg by accident, almost.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

My skepticism is his shot, obviously. And then needs to convert from the FT line.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:25 pm My skepticism is his shot, obviously. And then needs to convert from the FT line.
It's the difference between making $50mm and $5mm, that's for sure.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Certainly am glad to have him on the ball this year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:20 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:31 pm Tyshawn averaged almost 17pts per game. MG may have a hard time getting there. Ty averaged 5ast per game, and i expect MG to be there or higher seeing as how he was close to 5ast per game last year.

That's three points more than last year. When he shared the ball with an AA guard.

Possibly. We haven't had a ton of guys average more than 15ppg during the Self era. He certainly could because he will play a lot.

We might be pretty balanced and I can see him operating much more as a facilitator than a guy looking to score on every posession. I don't envision him taking 13 shots per game very often...he took almost 8 per game last year and averaged 9pts...i think he will pick up a few more shots and pts per game obviously....but with guys like Wilson Braun Och Thompson etc on the perimeter with him, and McCormack on the interior i am not sure if i think he can get to that 15ppg mark.

I will guess our top 5 scorers will be somewhere close to:

15pts per game for McCormack
15pts per game for Och
12pts per game for MG
12pts per game for Braun
10pts per game for Wilson
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:54 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Possibly. We haven't had a ton of guys average more than 15ppg during the Self era. He certainly could because he will play a lot.

We might be pretty balanced and I can see him operating much more as a facilitator than a guy looking to score on every posession. I don't envision him taking 13 shots per game very often...he took almost 8 per game last year and averaged 9pts...i think he will pick up a few more shots and pts per game obviously....but with guys like Wilson Braun Och Thompson etc on the perimeter with him, and McCormack on the interior i am not sure if i think he can get to that 15ppg mark.

I will guess our top 5 scorers will be somewhere close to:

15pts per game for McCormack
15pts per game for Och
12pts per game for MG
12pts per game for Braun
10pts per game for Wilson
Since we went four-out (2016-17), the ppg for our lead guards:

2016-17 - Mason (20.9)
2017-18 - Graham (17.3)
2018-19 - Vick (14.1)
2019-20 - Dotson (18.1)

Garrett's shooting limitation has him slotted in to be toward the lower end of that range, but I think he'll be somewhere in there.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if he can still turn the corner and get to the rim, seemingly at will, he could easily get 15+/game

edit: especially if he’s improved at the line
Deleted User 310

Frank and Graham were totally different beasts. MG's scoring ability is nowhere near theirs...

Dotson outside shooting wasn't great 31%ish, but he took 13 shots per game and was above 80% from the free throw line. So if MG gets to around that 13shots per game mark and get his free throw % into the mid 70%s he could get there....but he is under 60% from the free throw line for his career (61% last year & 59% the year before), so that is a big jump.

All in all, i just don't envision him being one of our top scoring options like the guys you mentioned were. Graham Mason and Dotson were all 1A or 1B scoring options for their team....i suppose it is possible MG averages the 2nd most FG attempts for our team this year, but it is just as possible he is 4th or 5th in FG attempts....my conservative guess is 3rd behind McCormack and Ochai....and potentially behind Braun and Wilson. For reference Ochai averaged more shots and points last year.

However it turns out, i just hope a national champion is crowned. We already got fucked out of a chance at title #2 for Self last year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:23 pm Frank and Graham were totally different beasts. MG's scoring ability is nowhere near theirs...

Dotson outside shooting wasn't great 31%ish, but he took 13 shots per game and was above 80% from the free throw line. So if MG gets to around that 13shots per game mark and get his free throw % into the mid 70%s he could get there....but he is under 60% from the free throw line for his career (61% last year & 59% the year before), so that is a big jump.

All in all, i just don't envision him being one of our top scoring options like the guys you mentioned were. Graham Mason and Dotson were all 1A or 1B scoring options for their team....i suppose it is possible MG averages the 2nd most FG attempts for our team this year, but it is just as possible he is 4th or 5th in FG attempts....my conservative guess is 3rd behind McCormack and Ochai....and potentially behind Braun and Wilson. For reference Ochai averaged more shots and points last year.

However it turns out, i just hope a national champion is crowned. We already got fucked out of a chance at title #2 for Self last year.
All that and you left out Thompson.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:23 pm Frank and Graham were totally different beasts. MG's scoring ability is nowhere near theirs...

All that and you left out Thompson.
Ya it wasn't really on accident....there doesn't seem to be a consensus around Thompson. It sounds like it is possible he is behind TGF on the depth chart....and nobody is talking about Harris, but the players make it seem like he may be a rotation piece as well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Pandemic shit aside, this will be the most interesting KU season in years. Small ball, with big guards and wings.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:21 pm Pandemic shit aside, this will be the most interesting KU season in years. Small ball, with big guards and wings.
Last year was pretty fucking interesting until it abruptly stopped.

Healthy Dok. AA PG. #1 overall seed. Weak field of contenders. We were heavy favorites to win it all.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:25 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:21 pm Pandemic shit aside, this will be the most interesting KU season in years. Small ball, with big guards and wings.
Last year was pretty fucking interesting until it abruptly stopped.

Healthy Dok. AA PG. #1 overall seed. Weak field of contenders. We were heavy favorites to win it all.
I hear you. I didn't mean "interesting" like that. The team we became after abandoning two-big was a juggernaut.