WSU

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 318

Re: WSU

Post by Deleted User 318 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My first reaction to that statement was, man, RIP Mark Mangino.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

🤮🤮🤮🤮
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Basically that Marshall released a long statement. Said his coaching style is not for everyone, but he's not abusive or anything like that. The school confirmed an investigation.

Forde just released an article too. Basically saying there is a reason that Marshall took 9 years to leave Winthrop after he took them to 7 NCAA tournaments, why he has been in Wichita after a Final 4 run and an undefeated regular season. It's because those in the business think he's arrogant, pompous and basically an ass. If he (and his family) had likable personalities, he would have been at a blueblood 5+ years ago.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How’s he supposed to recruit after this?

“I know it’s not for everyone, but if you like getting punched and choked, then I’m the coach for you!”
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:15 pm How’s he supposed to recruit after this?

“I know it’s not for everyone, but if you like getting punched and choked, then I’m the coach for you!”
He better make sure not to recruit anyone like the Morris twins. He will fuck around and get his ass stomped up into his throat.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Greg Marshall: "It is weak-assed to charge me with assault when it involves only some light choking, a few beat-downs and some gun play."
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Winthrop has entered the chat.
I am, I said.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah those players kind of went off on him and his ways. And he led them to NCAA tournament 7 out of his 9 years there, and they still say that.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm sure he learned to be tough like that when he was coming up in coaching.
I know we'll probably trash him because, well, WSU and f WSU, but there is a reality where things coaches could do years ago just won't fly now.

I would say Leach and Mangino learned this.
The dude featured in a couple seasons of Last Chance U learned this.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For instance, i'd say within 5-10 years, if you yelled at your player, calling him a "pussy ass bitch" for not going strong to the basket, you'll have a decent shot of getting fired.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's why Self just says "What the fuck are you doing!?" and also just calls his guys soft.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:23 pm For instance, i'd say within 5-10 years, if you yelled at your player, calling him a "pussy ass bitch" for not going strong to the basket, you'll have a decent shot of getting fired.

You should be fired for calling anyone a “pussy ass bitch” while doing your job. Learn better communication skills and take anger management if you think that is an effective way to motivate people.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Depends on the job - things have changed in sports.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:06 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:23 pm For instance, i'd say within 5-10 years, if you yelled at your player, calling him a "pussy ass bitch" for not going strong to the basket, you'll have a decent shot of getting fired.

You should be fired for calling anyone a “pussy ass bitch” while doing your job. Learn better communication skills and take anger management if you think that is an effective way to motivate people.
Are you fucking kidding me? We aren't talking about a boss calling an employee a pussy ass bitch in an office setting. We are talking college coaches speaking to their players.
If you are being a pussy ass bitch there really is nothing wrong with your coach calling you one.
Tough love. Happens all the time in sports. Right? Or have you never played a sport at a High School or above level?
My god, Tom Izzo's players are laughing at you. Bobby Knight's players are laughing at you. Fran McCaffery's players are laughing at you. Frank Martin's players are laughing at you. The list goes on and on and on.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:06 pm

I guess you never worked in the oil field.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:10 pm Depends on the job - things have changed in sports.
Exactly, adapt or die
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Definitely agree with cascadia here. The list of successful coaches that need that need to use those kind of tactics are very few.

Bog Knight got fired for good reason. 20 frickin' years ago. Progressing away from dinosaur tactics is often good in every profession.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wouldn't use tough tactics like that.
But I do think we live in a world where words and feelings are taking too much precedence - and context or intent is minimized or disregarded.
Adapt or die, certainly you have to, but doesn't mean it's correct.

Now, on the other hand, you're physically choking/abusing your players, well, hit the road.