Re: Kansas City thread

Post by holidaysmore »

That's my quarterback
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Schlitterbahn done but they might build a mini lake.

"While the development will center on youth sports, it also proposes building a man-made lagoon created by Crystal Lagoons, which has built public access beaches around the world. Heineman said the six-acre lagoon would feature white sand beaches, but have a sealed bottom and chemistry of a swimming pool."

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... rylink=cpy
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Reiger closed for good last weekend. Sad news.
Defense. Rebounds.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:28 pm Reiger closed for good last weekend. Sad news.
Yep, hopefully they can make a comeback. Nobody is going out, except for takeout. Bars are dead all over.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Not on board yet.

But something has got to give.... The Power and Light District, Power and Light sold out to Evergy. Sprint - Tmobile.

https://twitter.com/tmobilecenter/statu ... 58725?s=20

https://twitter.com/tmobilecenter/statu ... 78434?s=20
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

shindig wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:26 pm Just a general topic thread of things going on in KC...

Thought this article was interesting....discussions still going on about a downtown ballpark for the Royals...current price tag is $800M.

https://cityscenekc.com/city-manager-pr ... -now-800m/

The hot topic of the week...

https://twitter.com/kcur/status/1326660 ... 86113?s=20
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Quinton says no.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't add it to the list for consideration?

I sense that there's something of a shadow mandate to consider sites that will bring economic value where things aren't going great. I get that.

But this is not Field of Dreams shit. You don't get to drop it somewhere and expect development to follow (see, e.g., the Truman Sports Complex).

If you put it more than a ten-minute walk from downtown/Crossroads...then it's not downtown/Crossroads.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I will miss the Star building, but sure it should be considered. I know the red tape in the Crossroads is a large pain in the ass, so not sure how that would affect it.

I think Quinton's response is mostly related to his consistent "we have other shit to pay for right now" stance.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:31 am I will miss the Star building, but sure it should be considered. I know the red tape in the Crossroads is a large pain in the ass, so not sure how that would affect it.

I think Quinton's response is mostly related to his consistent "we have other shit to pay for right now" stance.
Sure. Sell the land to Sherman or his friends. Let them pay for it and profit off it.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:31 am I will miss the Star building, but sure it should be considered. I know the red tape in the Crossroads is a large pain in the ass, so not sure how that would affect it.

Hes busy with Raptors and The Weed thread.
I am, I said.
shindig

Post by shindig »

KC Star building should stay. Lease or sell it to the Arabia Steamboat Museum, they need a bigger place. Keep the ballpark in the Eastside/Gov't district. There are plenty of empty lots to develop, no need to tear down a building that is only 14 years old. That's just silly. Plus it's a cool building. How about a Museum + Brewery?
shindig

Post by shindig »

Soklous wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:55 pm Not on board yet.

But something has got to give.... The Power and Light District, Power and Light sold out to Evergy. Sprint - Tmobile.

Evergy is KCPL, they just changed their name when they merged with Westar out of Topeka.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:04 am

Hes busy with Raptors and The Weed thread.
I guess NBA helps him more than MLB on a run to the White House.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

shindig wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:25 am
Soklous wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:55 pm Not on board yet.

Evergy is KCPL, they just changed their name when they merged with Westar out of Topeka.

Regardless of who they are underneath, the public name is no more, therefore stupid for the public namesake.
I am, I said.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 45819.html
Covid 19 on the menu at Don Chilito's

A review of Don Chilitos that my buddy and I did in 2007

Zeemanb and I ditched work this afternoon. It was a nice sunny Friday and we couldn't think of anything better to do than play hooky from work and kill our stomachs. He starts to IM me about leaving early and heading to Don Chilito's Fine Mexican Cuisine. I think he's kidding and say, "I will if you will". :raz:

I didn't think they could really be as bad as I remember, they've been in business since I was a kid, they must be doing something right, right?

We walk in and notice the place is clean with new paint even, but there's an odor. Not a Mexican food odor though. I'm thinking, "Get a couple of tacos and get out". Z says, "I'm getting the Juarez Platter, and if you don't get a platter you're a wuss." I get the Combo Platter, a taco, tostada, cheese enchilada, chile relleno, rice and beans. Plus you get free sopapillas and all the chips and salsa you can eat at the help yourself bar.

This is all served cafeteria style, you walk up, place your order and watch them assemble it. Chile relleno is taken from the reach-in and put on a plate, as is the enchilada. Its then put into one of the 6 or 7 industrial microwaves for no more than a minute. The cheese is all melted and the food is steaming when it exits the 'wave. The whole mess is slid onto a hot platter and handed to me.

The taco was fine, pre-fab fried corn tortilla stuffed with ground beef, lettuce and cheese. The tostada was the same thing only flat and had beans on it. The chile relleno was weird. It was a small burrito thingie with a strip of canned green chile and some white cheese in it. I ate it all. We laughed throughout the whole ordeal at the true horrible-ness of the food. I was ready to go. Z said we had to eat the sopapillas. These things had been sitting around since the Carter Administration. How do you eff up fried bread? Oh man. Easily the worst part of a truly bad meal.

Odd thing (well one of them), was that the place was busy at 3:00pm on a weekday. Lots of to-go orders and several people at tables. Normal looking people. The kind that should know better. This place is an anomaly that I will never understand. I just have to eat there every decade or so. I have to go now, I'm not feeling well. Rick Bayless, you have nothing to worry about from Don.
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

shindig wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 am KC Star building should stay. Lease or sell it to the Arabia Steamboat Museum, they need a bigger place. Keep the ballpark in the Eastside/Gov't district. There are plenty of empty lots to develop, no need to tear down a building that is only 14 years old. That's just silly. Plus it's a cool building. How about a Museum + Brewery?
The Star is a nearly new $200M building. They could buy the two blocks of low rise buildings and parking lots to the east of the Star and demolish the buildings for less than that. The Royals could then buy the Star and turn it into their HQ's and training facility. No reason to demolish a perfectly good structure to site a stadium when there is so much underutilized land in the Crossroads.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:34 pm https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 45819.html
Covid 19 on the menu at Don Chilito's

A review of Don Chilitos that my buddy and I did in 2007

Zeemanb and I ditched work this afternoon. It was a nice sunny Friday and we couldn't think of anything better to do than play hooky from work and kill our stomachs. He starts to IM me about leaving early and heading to Don Chilito's Fine Mexican Cuisine. I think he's kidding and say, "I will if you will". :raz:

I didn't think they could really be as bad as I remember, they've been in business since I was a kid, they must be doing something right, right?

We walk in and notice the place is clean with new paint even, but there's an odor. Not a Mexican food odor though. I'm thinking, "Get a couple of tacos and get out". Z says, "I'm getting the Juarez Platter, and if you don't get a platter you're a wuss." I get the Combo Platter, a taco, tostada, cheese enchilada, chile relleno, rice and beans. Plus you get free sopapillas and all the chips and salsa you can eat at the help yourself bar.

This is all served cafeteria style, you walk up, place your order and watch them assemble it. Chile relleno is taken from the reach-in and put on a plate, as is the enchilada. Its then put into one of the 6 or 7 industrial microwaves for no more than a minute. The cheese is all melted and the food is steaming when it exits the 'wave. The whole mess is slid onto a hot platter and handed to me.

The taco was fine, pre-fab fried corn tortilla stuffed with ground beef, lettuce and cheese. The tostada was the same thing only flat and had beans on it. The chile relleno was weird. It was a small burrito thingie with a strip of canned green chile and some white cheese in it. I ate it all. We laughed throughout the whole ordeal at the true horrible-ness of the food. I was ready to go. Z said we had to eat the sopapillas. These things had been sitting around since the Carter Administration. How do you eff up fried bread? Oh man. Easily the worst part of a truly bad meal.

Odd thing (well one of them), was that the place was busy at 3:00pm on a weekday. Lots of to-go orders and several people at tables. Normal looking people. The kind that should know better. This place is an anomaly that I will never understand. I just have to eat there every decade or so. I have to go now, I'm not feeling well. Rick Bayless, you have nothing to worry about from Don.
I couldn’t even get to the end of the review without fighting off the urge to shit my pants.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My buddy's review

The food is genuinely awful, but we've been joking about going there for a couple of years just to make sure it was bad as we remember. It really was. I have have to say, it IS better quality than Casa Bonita in Denver (where I believe their tamales are shot out of an extruder). That's the only real comparison I have, with sheer quantity making up for microwave quality Mexican.

The tacos were okay. A lot like your white midwestern grandma used to make....

I do give them points for including Fanta strawberry in their fountain drinks. I love Fanta strawberry with my Tex-Mex (and my Go-Chicken-Go gizzards). And the "blended" and "chunky" signs above the two different kinds of salsa on the salsa bar was kind of funny.

I'm seriously not above enjoying a big plate of cheese and sour cream covered Tex-Mex with a bowl of cream cheese/velveeta/canned chile queso dip on the side when the mood (hangover) hits me, but DC's is pretty bad. It was well into the next day before my system was back to normal.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sounds delicious