Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by jhawks99 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:36 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:55 pm Anyone watched or heard of The Good Lord Bird? Series about John Brown played by Ethan Hawke. Recently released.
4 episodes in

it’s pretty good, just not as good as i was expecting/hoping
Jeopardy! had a category on John Brown last night with the actors for this reading the answers. Looked pretty interesting. Netflix?
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

99 that is why I mentioned it.
The first episode is free @ Amazon - I don't think it's on Netflix.
I watched the first.

Ethan Hawke sure plays the religious nutcase quite well.
It was pretty good - but I wouldn't rush to see it as at least one third of the screen time is Brown ( Hawke ) raving biblical scripture.
Lawrence is mentioned a couple times.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’s a showtime series, at least initially
Deleted User 89

“Alabama Snake” drops on HBO Dec. 9
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

New season of Ancient Aliens starts tonight on History.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:29 am “Alabama Snake” drops on HBO Dec. 9
What the:

SCOTTSBORO, Ala. (AP) _ A snake-handling preacher could get up to life in prison for trying to kill his wife by forcing her hand into a cage of rattlers.

A jury Wednesday convicted the Rev. Glenn Summerford, the 47-year-old pastor of the Church of Jesus With Signs Following, of attempted murder. No sentencing date was set.

Summerford’s wife, Darlene, was bitten twice by the poisonous snakes but recovered at a hospital. She testified that her husband tried to kill her last fall after accusing her of dating another preacher.

″He took a pipe and hit the cages real hard so the snakes got real mad and then grabbed me by the hair and said he would push my face in if I didn’t stick my hand in there,″ she said. ″He said I had to die because he wanted to marry another woman.′

A defense witness, Tammy Flippo, testified that Mrs. Summerford was actually bitten while trying to kill her husband. ″She told me that she got Glenn so drunk he passed out and went out to the shed to get a snake to put on him but it bit her instead,″ the woman said.

On cross-examination, the 23-year-old woman denied dating or having a social relationship with Summerford. But prosecutors produced a witness who said that Flippo had stayed at the preacher’s house several nights.

″I feel like justice was done,″ Mrs. Summerford said. ″Thank the lord they convicted him.″

https://apnews.com/article/1e4f81946c7e ... e7d0f3a29d
Deleted User 89

lol...was hoping someone would take the bait

the story is crazy, so i’m hopeful the show is done well
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:26 pm New season of Ancient Aliens starts tonight on History.
Is Giorgio A. Tsoukalos still involved? Love that guy
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I think so. 9pm EST. I'm watching.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Queen’s Gambit...quality

the mrs. likes it so much she ordered a chess set
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Watching Giri/Haji on Netflix. Wow.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Humphry Bogart day today on TCM
Maltese Falcon now, followed by The Big Sleep
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:41 pm Queen’s Gambit...quality

the mrs. likes it so much she ordered a chess set
It was good. Well worth the time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

been watching "Meat Eater"

it's basically a hunting and fishing show, but less about about the technical hunting and fishing and more about eating the bounties. So also sort of a cooking show. And maybe also a little more subtle with the shameless product plugs, but still plenty of Yeti cooler apparel.

Was gonna put this in the great outdoors thread, but dude smokes trout, among other dishes. He creates some brine with salt and sugar and vinegar and spices and soaks it, then smokes it low for like 6 hours until the meat's falling off those stupid little rib bones.

I've never killed any big game, but I think it's kinda cheesy how they get all mystical and shit when they make a kill. "I'm so humbled, this is such a magical creature, blah blah blah," when deep down I think all they really wanna say is, "SMOKED 'EM!" *fist bumps all around*
Deleted User 89

we got really into the Alone series

trout, salmon, rabbit, ptarmigan, porcupine, moose, musk ox all killed/consumed by the contestants

nothing fancy, but all smoked or boiled
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:48 am been watching "Meat Eater"

it's basically a hunting and fishing show, but less about about the technical hunting and fishing and more about eating the bounties. So also sort of a cooking show. And maybe also a little more subtle with the shameless product plugs, but still plenty of Yeti cooler apparel.

Was gonna put this in the great outdoors thread, but dude smokes trout, among other dishes. He creates some brine with salt and sugar and vinegar and spices and soaks it, then smokes it low for like 6 hours until the meat's falling off those stupid little rib bones.

I've never killed any big game, but I think it's kinda cheesy how they get all mystical and shit when they make a kill. "I'm so humbled, this is such a magical creature, blah blah blah," when deep down I think all they really wanna say is, "SMOKED 'EM!" *fist bumps all around*
Meat eater is a great show. As is stars in the sky...its the same guy
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:06 am we got really into the Alone series

trout, salmon, rabbit, ptarmigan, porcupine, moose, musk ox all killed/consumed by the contestants

nothing fancy, but all smoked or boiled
Spoiler****

the Roland dude that won the arctic series was a badass
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

yes he was...his shelter and food storage were key

that, and getting the musk ox
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Stabbing a musk ox, clubbing a porcupine, piles of firewood in a stone shelter. He coulda made it through wibter if hed had too....assuming he found a way to get a few more fish
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:08 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:29 am “Alabama Snake” drops on HBO Dec. 9
What the:

SCOTTSBORO, Ala. (AP) _ A snake-handling preacher could get up to life in prison for trying to kill his wife by forcing her hand into a cage of rattlers.

A jury Wednesday convicted the Rev. Glenn Summerford, the 47-year-old pastor of the Church of Jesus With Signs Following, of attempted murder. No sentencing date was set.

Summerford’s wife, Darlene, was bitten twice by the poisonous snakes but recovered at a hospital. She testified that her husband tried to kill her last fall after accusing her of dating another preacher.

″He took a pipe and hit the cages real hard so the snakes got real mad and then grabbed me by the hair and said he would push my face in if I didn’t stick my hand in there,″ she said. ″He said I had to die because he wanted to marry another woman.′

A defense witness, Tammy Flippo, testified that Mrs. Summerford was actually bitten while trying to kill her husband. ″She told me that she got Glenn so drunk he passed out and went out to the shed to get a snake to put on him but it bit her instead,″ the woman said.

On cross-examination, the 23-year-old woman denied dating or having a social relationship with Summerford. But prosecutors produced a witness who said that Flippo had stayed at the preacher’s house several nights.

″I feel like justice was done,″ Mrs. Summerford said. ″Thank the lord they convicted him.″

https://apnews.com/article/1e4f81946c7e ... e7d0f3a29d
https://youtu.be/Rdh8ZIpQyP0