Watch geeks?

Coffee talk.
KU76erfan

Watch geeks?

Post by KU76erfan »

Anyone else bitten by the bug? I bet some of you out there have some interesting pieces, or inherited watches that are beloved....
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Watch geeks?

Post by jfish26 »

I do not have that particular affliction, but a good friend does. It is neither a cheap habit, nor a casual one.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Yes, unfortunately--on both counts!
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I received one of those Original Grain watches as a gift a couple of years back. Damn good watch. I don't necessarily have the infatuation with them like many have, but I do like to wear them. But I'm also a guy that's perfectly fine with a $20 watch from like Target.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the last watch i had was a Swatch back in the late ‘80s

‘nuf said
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Actually Swatch watches are great, and usually a gateway drug for a lot of collectors and enthusiasts.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I have two vintage pocket watches (yeah, I'm one of those guys that would always wear a vest . . . even with jeans) that are in excellent shape. I bought them in 1970. My fave is the 1919 992B Hamilton Railway Special; 23 jewels, gold case with a 12" gold chain fob (Flavor Flav got nothin on me). The other one is pretty much the same but with a white gold case. There's something about the classic face and unbelievable accuracy that still blows me away.

https://images.app.goo.gl/MgEpFnZUD8HJ4ATE6
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i think those are flippin sweet
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

defixione wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:43 pm I have two vintage pocket watches (yeah, I'm one of those guys that would always wear a vest . . . even with jeans) that are in excellent shape. I bought them in 1970. My fave is the 1919 992B Hamilton Railway Special; 23 jewels, gold case with a 12" gold chain fob (Flavor Flav got nothin on me). The other one is pretty much the same but with a white gold case. There's something about the classic face and unbelievable accuracy that still blows me away.

Baller
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

defixione wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:43 pm I have two vintage pocket watches (yeah, I'm one of those guys that would always wear a vest . . . even with jeans) that are in excellent shape. I bought them in 1970. My fave is the 1919 992B Hamilton Railway Special; 23 jewels, gold case with a 12" gold chain fob (Flavor Flav got nothin on me). The other one is pretty much the same but with a white gold case. There's something about the classic face and unbelievable accuracy that still blows me away.

The Hamilton is GORGEOUS (a VERY reputable and nicely affordable maker still to this day, thankfully!)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How I picture defixione in real life:

shindig

Post by shindig »

I have an Apple Watch. Got it for Xmas last year, have maybe worn it twice. I also have a few Diesel watches that have needed new batteries for 10 years or so...lol
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:15 am I have an Apple Watch. Got it for Xmas last year, have maybe worn it twice. I also have a few Diesel watches that have needed new batteries for 10 years or so...lol
I would love to wear watches, Apple or fancy. I just can't. I type all day, every day, and I invariably just take the watch off. So it's just not worth spending money on.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:40 pm How I picture defixione in real life:

Lose the hat and you're creeping ever closer.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Only brand of watch I’ve worn in nearly 40 years is Casio. Does the job. Last 20 have been the same model, solar charged, with “world time” so I just press a couple of buttons to see the local time when I was traveling. Had a hand-me-down early-60s Omega from my dad, for a few years but it somehow got wet inside and stopped working.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You sure that’s an authentic Casio?

KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Shame about the Omega, you should get it serviced; it's probably worth something, too.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:22 am
shindig wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:15 am I have an Apple Watch. Got it for Xmas last year, have maybe worn it twice. I also have a few Diesel watches that have needed new batteries for 10 years or so...lol
I would love to wear watches, Apple or fancy. I just can't. I type all day, every day, and I invariably just take the watch off. So it's just not worth spending money on.
Yeah same here, on a computer all day. I used to wear them more, but it's just as easy to pull out your phone now. The Apple Watch was a gift, I would never spend $300 on a watch, especially since it has to be charged all the time like your phone. Just another hassle..lol
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:22 am
Yea, try swinging a hammer and runnin saws etc. Jewelry is a no go. I had a fitbit that lasted 3 days and i wear a rubber ring so i dont lose a finger.

Its a good thing ive never been a big jewelry person
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

KU76erfan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:06 pm Shame about the Omega, you should get it serviced; it's probably worth something, too.
I have to ask my dad if he still has it. He also had an old Mamiya SLR, which also stopped working in the early 80s. He never throws anything away!