F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:29 pm 40%, 90%.
And we got caught and probably will be punished.
And if the G League succeeds and the NBA lowers the draft age to 18, improper benefits will be fewer because more of those top guys who have no interest in college will just go pro.
I think it will also help that Lamelo Ball went overseas and has been successful. Maybe more guys will start to go that route or something similar.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:43 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:29 pm 40%, 90%.
And we got caught and probably will be punished.
And if the G League succeeds and the NBA lowers the draft age to 18, improper benefits will be fewer because more of those top guys who have no interest in college will just go pro.
I think it will also help that Lamelo Ball went overseas and has been successful. Maybe more guys will start to go that route or something similar.
They already are. Overseas and G League are becoming even-footed competitors with college basketball, for talent.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Senators frustrated by NCAA's 'striking hypocrisy' in failure to act on athletes' benefits

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 157662001/
“The first thing I see in their delay is a striking hypocrisy,” Booker said. “Their argument for some time has (been) 'Hey, Government, just give us the authority. We can police ourselves in these issues.' And they have failed to do it. ... So, I am moving to do what I believe is in the best interest of college athletes. ... And I believe that after failure after failure of the NCAA to address these issues, we have an opportunity to finally make them the law of the land.”

Said Blumenthal: “Frankly, the delay and dithering by the NCAA seems to reflect a lack of urgency and caring. Maybe that perception is overly harsh, but that’s the perception.”

[...]

Blumenthal and Booker said they had no patience for the notion that the NCAA Division I Council and Board of Directors backed off scheduled votes this week on transfer and NIL proposals, in part, because of concerns the Justice Department’s antitrust division leader Makan Delrahim raised in a letter to NCAA President Mark Emmert last Friday. Blumenthal indicated that any antitrust flaws in the proposals should have been apparent to the association and the proposals should have been tailored accordingly.

“It's not like the antitrust laws were passed yesterday,” Blumenthal said. “They've been around for a while.”

Booker said he saw no reason why theJustice Department’s concerns with elements of the transfer process that weren’t being addressed by the proposed rules changes should have prevented the NCAA from making the change that the department actually lauded – addressing the five remaining Division I sports in which athletes generally are prohibited from playing for one year if they change schools.

“A good-faith measure for them would be to change their transfer rules,” so transferring athletes don’t have to sit out, Booker said. “I don't think that this is a reaction to the Justice Department. I think this is a false cry of impotency on their part to address the real fairness and justice issues of the athletes that they say they're organized to protect.”
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

It’s all crumbling quickly. Funny thing is they had so much time to do so much good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PortlandHawk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:26 pm It’s all crumbling quickly. Funny thing is they had so much time to do so much good.
One of my kids is borderline-criminally bad at managing his time. How to prioritize homework, not keeping things that take a long time (like laundry) to the last minute, etc.

So, what happens? We get pissed off and manage his time for him, which definitely works out much worse than if he'd just had a little bit of proactive common sense.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For the sake of the minnow’s eligibility, I hope you’re keeping receipts for each time you do his laundry for him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

A hit piece by Dana O'Neil just dropped. Keep in mind she is pretty washed as a journo.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

a tapped phone call not presented in the fbi trial, that supposedly has an unnamed KU assistant talking about routing funds to a potential player’s family

this recording was apparently made known a couple weeks ago...this story is just now coming out
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I heard correctly, the egregiousness would be a couple of bucks to help a brother of a recruit attend a campus visit with the recruit.

Published on a Friday. Have a good weekend everyone.
Deleted User 89

how very Larry Brown-esque
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:52 pm A hit piece by Dana O'Neil just dropped. Keep in mind she is pretty washed as a journo.
She’s really bad. She was good a while ago, but now she’s obsessed with Philly hoops and being a ruler of these issues.

I won’t click the article. Like, we know what happened, why is this still going on?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I really really hope the recruit’s name was Zion...
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

So we gave money to a recruits brother to attend a visit and we wanted to funnel money through an adidas team to get to the family so a recruit would come.

*Yawn*

You are going to have to come up with a whole lot more than that.

I also wouldn’t mind if they put Mob KT to pasture.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 863

I am sick of 2 things on this topic:

1) sportswriters who know better pretending this is ground breaking news or anything less than normal for high profile programs.

2) our fans who know better pretending this is all a fake conspiracy to bring down Bill Self and the Kansas program.

At this point, who really cares? I am over it. If the NCAA is going to punish us then get it over with already. This shouldn't take years to resolve. If the NCAA is going to keep the rules the same then fine, let us get back to recruiting by funneling money to recruits through the shoe companies like we've done for the last 2-3 decades.

The pretending is what annoys me. Them pretending like this isn't normal. Us pretending like we didn't know how the game works.
Deleted User 89

so over it that you were compelled to post about it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:09 am so over it that you were compelled to post about it
Classic illy, full meltdown coming soon
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:09 am so over it that you were compelled to post about it
"over it" meaning over these sportswriters acting like any of it is rare or a big deal.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

This never ending investigation is slowly killing our recruiting. Since the never ending investigation started every class has been a little worse than the class before.

I don’t care what they do to us. Just do it already.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Not knowing what our future holds, not sure why any top recruit would commit to KANSAS.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

That and adidas is maybe easing back on the funneling of cash to recruits? Especially to steer them to KU.