Super Bowl LV

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Super Bowl LV

Post by pdub »

"Some Chiefs fans will talk about how the early penalties dictated the outcome of the game, which they did."

Mathieu's interception isn't overturned by an extremely iffy hold on Ward, it's 7-3, the ball on the Chiefs 32, with 7 minutes left in the 2nd.

As far as team dominating, Mahomes was under constant pressure, and we dropped at least 5 passes, but the stats aren't as 'dominate' as you'd think. And that INT stands as it should have, Brady may not go over 200 yards, and has an INT.

KC 350 total yards
TB 340 total yards

Mahomes 270 yards passing, 33 yards rushing, 2 INT
Brady 201 passing, -2 yards rushing, 3 TD

Yards per play:
KC 5.1
TB 5.4

Yards per rush:
KC 6.3
TB 4.4
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:22 am Some Chiefs fans will talk about how the early penalties dictated the outcome of the game, which they did.
Didn't dictate the outcome of the game, but the Chiefs defense absolutely let the calls get to their heads.

The only egregious call was the Matthieu DPI in the end zone. But, wipe that penalty off and it's 2nd and goal from the 9 and the Chiefs couldn't stop a nosebleed.

The only other questionable call was the defense holding on the wiped out interception, but it fit in with how the game was being called (which was too tightly, imo). Then the Chiefs line up offsides and cost themselves 4 points.

I thought the biggest first half moment was the Chiefs being in the red zone down 14-3 and they couldn't convert.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Didn't dictate the outcome of the game"

"the Matthieu DPI in the end zone" ( 2nd and 9 with 13 seconds, no timeouts, one more stop = FG kick )
"wiped out interception"

LOL.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I would certainly stop myself from saying that was the only reason they lost because like others have mentioned the Chiefs had a myriad of issues, see below but I will say just like in basketball you have to adapt to the way the game is being called. Chiefs play man coverage, physical and can be 'handsy' at times. The stuff they got away with against Buffalo and in turn was called the same way for TB / GB were now holding and illegal contact. Like you pointed out the first half got to the Chiefs head and they were never able to recover. The game the Chiefs had to play was consistently score and make Brady become more than a game manager. While TB scored TDs, KC kicked FGs.

Damn all of this talk makes me think just how bad the Chiefs were on Sunday, maybe even historically bad but were all problems and issues we discussed throughout the season.

1. Offensive line
2. Penalties
3. Lack of defensive line pressure
4. Red zone issues on both sides of the ball

Usually the Chiefs only had one or maybe two of those issues a game. Sunday it was ALL of them, plus drops and your QB having turf toe.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:47 amChiefs play man coverage, physical and can be 'handsy' at times. The stuff they got away with against Buffalo and in turn was called the same way for TB / GB were now holding and illegal contact. Like you pointed out the first half got to the Chiefs head and they were never able to recover. The game the Chiefs had to play was consistently score and make Brady become more than a game manager. While TB scored TDs, KC kicked FGs.
It's ridiculously frustrating how each game is called different. They called almost 0 penalties in the NFC Championship. The AFC game was called tighter, but not nearly as tight as the first half of the Super Bowl.

I also look back on how the 2nd quarter went and wonder if the Chiefs were just really gassed. When a defense is on the field a lot that's when the d-backs start tugging on jerseys.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 am
holidaysmore wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:47 amChiefs play man coverage, physical and can be 'handsy' at times. The stuff they got away with against Buffalo and in turn was called the same way for TB / GB were now holding and illegal contact. Like you pointed out the first half got to the Chiefs head and they were never able to recover. The game the Chiefs had to play was consistently score and make Brady become more than a game manager. While TB scored TDs, KC kicked FGs.
It's ridiculously frustrating how each game is called different. They called almost 0 penalties in the NFC Championship. The AFC game was called tighter, but not nearly as tight as the first half of the Super Bowl.

I also look back on how the 2nd quarter went and wonder if the Chiefs were just really gassed. When a defense is on the field a lot that's when the d-backs start tugging on jerseys.
Especially when the Super Bowl is supposed to be one of the least tightly called games. And it's one thing if it's called tight, but for it to be a one-sided tight is mind-boggling.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sorry, it's impossible to think amount of contact didn't happen multiple times on the other side of the ball against Hill, Kelce and company. No tugging. Evans shoves off to create separation.

https://twitter.com/ScottBott613/status ... 4975349762
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:54 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 am

Especially when the Super Bowl is supposed to be one of the least tightly called games. And it's one thing if it's called tight, but for it to be a one-sided tight is mind-boggling.
Agree that you have to let the the players play. As far as being one-sided, only reason I don't agree is that the Chiefs just didn't have the ball enough in the 2nd quarter to say it was. The pass rush was just such a factor and TB was allowing everything underneath.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yeah, I'm sorry to all the trolls and anti-KC people, but that's not even close to a defensive holding penalty. That atrociously bad.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Those kind of 5-10 yard short hooks with that amount of contact happen on every other passing play.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Of course, it's a 7-0 KC game if Hill catches the ball off of his facemask.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:02 am Of course, it's a 7-0 KC game if Hill catches the ball off of his facemask.
Sigh
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Another weak call not talked about was the ticky tack hold on special teams that negated Townsend's first punt midway through the 2nd quarter - a difference of 35 yards.

That said, what a rough outing for the rookie there, shanking two punts.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Argh I gotta stop watching these clips because they are just further pissing me off. Those are awful, awful calls that completely changed the flow of the game. I really don't know which is worse - the Ward 'hold' or Evans flopping right before the half, which set up another score. You would like to believe that unless that 'hold' creates a clear advantage or disadvantage you let them play. Hell, wasn't that hold on the backside of the play anways?

Some of that maybe technique, fatigue or just panic but generally, at least when I was playing and coaching as a corner when you get your hands above the hips, especially up by the shoulder pad you put yourself at the mercy of the zebras.

The All 22 would really tell but I'll still believe there was plenty of grabbing especially underneath on Kelce by the TB LBs. The difference there might have been that fell in the 5 yard contact zone (is that still a thing?) .
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

For Chiefs fans, the calls favoring Brady were familiar and expected. But the NFL should never let this kind imbalanced penalty calling happen again. Kelce was hit early on his “drops” and was clearly interfered with on a catch in the red zone where a first down should have been awarded. 2nd Quarter.
Last edited by Sparko on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I do think Kelce got hit early on the one that was high and got his ankles taken out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There's more credibility to fraud in this Super Bowl than there was in what Gutman ( GUTTER!? ) is referring to in his tweet.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Need a recount. Rampant fraud.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:06 am There's more credibility to fraud in this Super Bowl than there was in what Gutman ( GUTTER!? ) is referring to in his tweet.
I mean, didn’t the NFL remarket themselves as not sports but “sports entertainment” (just like pro wrestling) so as to account for just this?

It’s not fraud if they’re just following the script.

Now let’s go pour beer over Vince McMahon’s head about it.