Gutter's 5 questions of the day 11/29/18

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 183

Gutter's 5 questions of the day 11/29/18

Post by Deleted User 183 »

#4 might break the record for the longest question so I will make the other 4 questions short.

1) Work holiday grab bag. TWENTY FIVE ($25) limit and can not be gender specific. WORST "gift" of the following to RECEIVE...
A) FIFTEEN ($15) Bed Bath & Beyond gift card (you can assume is being re-gifted to you).
B) Not too ugly but not too attractive fake wool scarf.
C) TWENTY DOLLAR ($20) brick of pennies.
D) Set of 2 Starbuck's coffee mugs.
E) A Chicago Bears WINTER hat.
F) 3 small candles that are scented Maple Syrup, Buttered Popcorn, and Spearmint.
G) Target wireless remote control for TV/Cable/VCR/Etc.

2) Out of the possible teams remaining, which college football team would you like to win the National Championship.
A) Bama
B) Notre Dame
C) Georgia
D) Clemson
E) Ohio State
F) Oklahoma

3) On a scale of 0-100 (0 being ugliest woman you have ever seen and 100 being the most beautiful woman you have ever seen) rate this woman based solely on this particular photograph.

4) Moral dilemma time. There is a guy who works at the reception/security desk in my building.
Nice guy but like me, he has an IQ that is similar to the IQ of a bar of soap.
He is foreign and very difficult to understand. A couple of nights ago he asked an Asian women for her ID - which we need to show to pick up packages that were delivered for us so that the "security" personnel make sure the right people are picking up the packages.
She couldn't understand him and I had to play translator.
EVERY time I pick up a package I tip the guy (or anyone else who gives me my package) a few $.
These "security" guys and girls can't make much more than minimum wage and generally speaking, most of the people in the building are assholes towards them.
Because I give them money and am kind to them (also bring them food/drinks on occasion too) MOST but not ALL of the "security" people in the building know me by name and call me by my name - but this particular guy still asks me for an ID every time - even though he 100% for sure knows me and my name. Normally the building sends an email notice that you had a package delivered but being that it's getting to be Christmas time there are literally hundreds of packages delivered to the building every day. Therefore, it takes forever and a half to check in the packages.
So......Yesterday I had a ticket (Lakers game 1/2/19) delivered via UPS. It was delivered at 3:33pm and as of 9:30pm last night I hadn't received notification from the building that it had been delivered. I went downstairs and told the guy it was shipped via UPS and it was in a large ENVELOPE.
I proceed to watch him start going through PACKAGES/BOXES looking at the labels to see if it was my ENVELOPE. I told him FOUR different times it was an ENVELOPE that he should be looking for and EACH time he kept looking through PACKAGES/BOXES. Finally I walked behind the desk and went in to the receiving area myself and picked up a FedEX ENVELOPE to show him what I meant in terms of an ENVELOPE in case he didn't understand the difference between an ENVELOPE and/or a PACKAGE/BOX.
He STILL continued to look through the PACKAGES/BOXES. There were other people wanting to receive their packages and they were watching this with their mouths open and in shock at what they were witnessing.
It took me a grand total of between 10 and 15 seconds to find my ENVELOPE.
9,000 words later - here is my question. Do I tell building management this guy is a super nice guy but a headless elephant would be more valuable/competent working at the security/reception desk - and they need to let him concentrate on others things instead of the checking in and distributing of packages?
Reason I ask is, I don't want the guy to lose his job but he's worse than worthless and it's only a matter of time before (if they haven't already) the residents start being nasty to the guy.

5) It's one week since Thanksgiving. Since last Thursday and including last Thursday, do you think you have gained a pound or more, lost a pound or more, or stayed within a pound of what you weighed last Thursday morning at 6:00am?
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Gutter's 5 questions of the day 11/29/18

Post by pdub »

1. Coffee mugs - have far too many of those
2. Oklahoma
3. 90
4. There's no way I'm reading that - break up with her
5. Gained a pound or more
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

1) B, I never wear scarves.
2) Clemson
3) Does she work in your office?
4) Let it go.
5) Lost a pound or more.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

1) Work holiday grab bag. TWENTY FIVE ($25) limit and can not be gender specific. WORST "gift" of the following to RECEIVE...
A) FIFTEEN ($15) Bed Bath & Beyond gift card (you can assume is being re-gifted to you).
B) Not too ugly but not too attractive fake wool scarf.
C) TWENTY DOLLAR ($20) brick of pennies.
D) Set of 2 Starbuck's coffee mugs.
E) A Chicago Bears WINTER hat.
F) 3 small candles that are scented Maple Syrup, Buttered Popcorn, and Spearmint.
G) Target wireless remote control for TV/Cable/VCR/Etc.

2) Out of the possible teams remaining, which college football team would you like to win the National Championship.
A) Bama
B) Notre Dame
C) Georgia
D) Clemson
E) Ohio State
F) Oklahoma
really don't care, but Big XII and all that...

3) On a scale of 0-100 (0 being ugliest woman you have ever seen and 100 being the most beautiful woman you have ever seen) rate this woman based solely on this particular photograph.

maybe 80-85

4) Do I tell building management this guy is a super nice guy but a headless elephant would be more valuable/competent working at the security/reception desk - and they need to let him concentrate on others things instead of the checking in and distributing of packages?

if he's foreign, does he even know what an envelope is?

5) It's one week since Thanksgiving. Since last Thursday and including last Thursday, do you think you have gained a pound or more, lost a pound or more, or stayed within a pound of what you weighed last Thursday morning at 6:00am?

stayed about the same
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

1. Scarf
2. Georgia
3. 89.6
4. Let it go
5. Gained. Trying to get back up to fighting weight. I dropped 24lbs this summer working 70hr weeks in 110 degree weather. Im slowing getting back up to where i want to be. I have a hard time gaining weight regardless of what i eat. But i also average over 18 thousand steps a day in a very labor intensive job.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 183

My answers.....

1) F) 3 small candles that are scented Maple Syrup, Buttered Popcorn, and Spearmint.
2) A) Bama
3) 82.667
4) Already told a management guy that I'm in good with and told him in a very kind and caring way.
They are well aware of how fucked up things are and there really isn't a simple solution.
I just feel bad for the "security" guy.
5) I don't know but I am hoping lost a couple of pounds. I'll get on the/a scale on Sunday.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

1. I’m not sure what a brick of pennies is, but if it is truly useless except as a gag gift, then that is the gift I do not want.
2. I don’t really care. I suppose anybody but Alabama.
3. As a model I do not find him/her especially attractive
4. I am blaming his trainer more than him. He keeps asking for your ID because that is what he was trained to do. Also, I don’t under estimate the difficulty of learning hundreds of new foreign people all at once. If SOMEONE could spend 20 minutes with him teaching the package stuff, AND then follow up with five minutes a day for the next week on surprises and difficulties that come up, then EVERYONE will be happy.
5. Stayed with in 1 pound.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Its the new america! Always someone else fault. He sucks because someone else hasnt done what they should do to help him. Psshhh on that. Its not hard to learn simple skills as described. People need to take more responsibility for their successes and failures.
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

So you think this man hasn’t tried hard enough? I interpreted Gutter’s story differently. As a leader, my experience is that re-training is cheaper than rehiring. Gutter may be right that reassignment is best. I just offered my opinion on the most efficient way to make the most people happy.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

does the “foreign” guy even know the meaning of the word envelope?

does he know that such things aren’t kept with the rest of the deliveries?
Deleted User 183

Dr. - I feel your original response to #4 is spot on. I'm not convinced he's capable of learning and retaining what he is taught. We have security people who are A+ and some who are an F-. This guy is a lot closer to F-. I will NEVER fault a person for wanting to earn money to pay for their necessary expenses. I try and be calm, cool, and collected as well as kind and respectful towards this guy but as I said, I know others are not and I feel bad for him.

TDub - I also agree with you. Problem is some people just aren't cut out for their jobs. They hired this guy. Did they hire him because he is a body and they simply need a body at the desk or did he actually have some prior work experience that made him qualified for his position?

Trad - First question isn't a bad one. Thing is I actually picked up the FedEx envelope and showed him THIS was an envelope and what I was looking for. I assume if he didn't know the meaning of the word envelope he would have after I showed him. Perhaps not.
Second question - It's a disaster when packages are delivered because they come via UPS, FedEx, USPS, Amazon (how ever Amazon delivers), DHL, etc. They just keep piling and piling up during the day and then the security staff that's assigned to checking them in can't keep up. They are pretty much all thrown together until they check them in individually and put a colored sticker (color based on floor number such as 10-19 is yellow, 20-29 is green, etc. - there are 60 floors) with your apartment number on it. Sometimes they mislabel your package and then of course you (and they) are absolutely screwed.