Trump/Republicans 2020: Suppressing Votes & Weaponizing the Government.

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Trump/Republicans 2020: Suppressing Votes & Weaponizing the Government.

Post by japhy »

The timeline is mind boggling. Let me see if I got this right.

Tuesday the poll workers who certify the vote form the R side decline to certify Wayne County MI. There are some discrepancies, everyone agrees that the number is small and won't change the election. But the R's won't certify because "there are discrepancies". Which it seems like there are in every vote count but if it doesn't change anything you move on and certify.

Someone checks the social media of the two R's and it turns up some racist stuff and they are confronted. They change their minds and certify the vote in Tuesday evening.

Wednesday, trump calls them to thank them for their service. And afterwards they submit documents to ask to decertify their certification. But there is no systems for recanting your certification. They was bullied, that's why they signed.

Thursday team trump drops their court case in MI because the vote in Wayne County has not been certified.

WTF is going on with these people?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Japhy: one of the two canvassers had to go to court yesterday for allegations of tax fraud with her non-profit. So that was a big factor too. Not related, but the optics were terrible along with racist FB stuff. The argument for coercion on Trump’s part is incontrovertible as he tweeted about it. Michigan is no longer part of any equation to disrupt the results.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have been voting and watching results for 40 years. Granted the internet and instant reporting hasn't been around that whole time but have never seen this level of up front and in your face intervention/interference. The republicans have created a monster who thinks he can do anything and there will not be any consequences. They have no spine to step in and try to get him under control. The most real "trump derangement syndrome" is on the Republicans side, in that they are deranged enough to let him have free rein to destroy everything if he wants to.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

they’re scared of his wrath, and by extension the wrath of his supporters
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

japhy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 am I have been voting and watching results for 40 years. Granted the internet and instant reporting hasn't been around that whole time but have never seen this level of up front and in your face intervention/interference. The republicans have created a monster who thinks he can do anything and there will not be any consequences. They have no spine to step in and try to get him under control. The most real "trump derangement syndrome" is on the Republicans side, in that they are deranged enough to let him have free rein to destroy everything if he wants to.
Word. He has lost the election and has spent every remaining second in his evil delusional shitstorm torturing the American public like a serial killer.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 am I have been voting and watching results for 40 years. Granted the internet and instant reporting hasn't been around that whole time but have never seen this level of up front and in your face intervention/interference. The republicans have created a monster who thinks he can do anything and there will not be any consequences. They have no spine to step in and try to get him under control. The most real "trump derangement syndrome" is on the Republicans side, in that they are deranged enough to let him have free rein to destroy everything if he wants to.
I've said this in other threads - our saving grace is that Trump is equally and completely inept, lazy and nonprincipled. The machine that's been built would be absolutely terrifying in the hands of many/most Republicans.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, it’s so weird to say, but thank the lord potus’s agenda has never extended much further than 3 inches from his own nose.

At least in a certain context
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:33 pm
I've said this in other threads - our saving grace is that Trump is equally and completely inept, lazy and nonprincipled. The machine that's been built would be absolutely terrifying in the hands of many/most Republicans.
If Dick Cheney could elicit such blind allegence and had this kind of machine.....it's the stuff of DC's wet dreams.
Deleted User 89

bump
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

That's their only chance to win any election.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/03/97256811 ... eform-bill

House approves major election reform and voting rights bill
Deleted User 89

what kind of spine does the gop side of the senate have?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Trad- the answer is none. They know that they would lose when non-whites vote. They’ll make sure that voting becomes difficult rather than enacting policies that benefit everyone
Deleted User 89

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:50 am Trad- the answer is none. They know that they would lose when non-whites vote. They’ll make sure that voting becomes difficult rather than enacting policies that benefit everyone
while i think this is the reality, there’s part of me that’s hopeful
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

What exactly does "mandatory automatic voter registration" mean? What does this mean?

What exactly does "reversal of state voter ID laws" mean? Does it mean that a person does not need to show identification to vote? Does it mean any person can walk up and vote whether they have identification or not?
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am What exactly does "mandatory automatic voter registration" mean? What does this mean?

What exactly does "reversal of state voter ID laws" mean? Does it mean that a person does not need to show identification to vote? Does it mean any person can walk up and vote whether they have identification or not?
Here's an explanation of automatic voter registration when it was proposed here in Nebraska:

https://www.civicnebraska.org/wp-conten ... -Paper.pdf

It basically means that because my 17 year old daughter has a Nebraska drivers license that already contains all the information that NE voter registration requires that the NE DMV would automatically send a record to the NE Secretary of State to register her to vote once she reaches the legal age for voting.

How It Would Work:
1.A voter interacts with a state agency where, as part of their interaction, they provide their name, address, birth date, political party, affirmative oath of eligibility, and electronic signature
2.The voter answers the prompt to either affirmatively opt-out or to register, update, or affirm their registration
3.The state agency sends the electronic files to the county election official for the purpose of voter registration.
4.The county election official reviews the electronic file for eligibility and prior registration. If eligible, the registration is processed.
5.The county election officials sends a voter registration confirmation card to the voter
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

utah does the same thing, registers you when you go get a driver’s license
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am What exactly does "mandatory automatic voter registration" mean? What does this mean?

I don't show ID when I vote. A first-time voter who registered by mail in our state and did not provide identification when they registered will be asked for an ID on election day. They have checks in place in the processing of my vote to ensure that I did not vote again somewhere else.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Honestly, we bitch and complain that our local governments aren't more efficient and streamlined with the ability to talk to each other easier. This is simply correcting some of that.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.