Och

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Och

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just announced he's coming back without going through any draft stuff.

Have to figure the schedule changes played into that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He doesn't have the buzz of the unknown from the 1/2 season he played in last season.
It was a bit underwhelming, as far as expectations, and the expectations were probably too high.
Look forward to his junior season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Somewhat surprised he didn’t declare just for the experience. Is there really any reason not to?

And can’t you declare up to 3 times? As a sophomore, why not?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:19 pm Somewhat surprised he didn’t declare just for the experience. Is there really any reason not to?

And can’t you declare up to 3 times? As a sophomore, why not?
Just a lot of uncertainty. If the NCAA doesn't change their deadline from June, then you aren't getting any feedback before then.

Maybe no combine, no summer league, at all, or at least until August/September after school starts. Sucks for Och as it seems like a no-brainer for him to go through process and get feedback and information from an approved agent.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

If all of this had never happened, shoot, why not enter and go through the process. You would have had the familiarity for your senior year and been able to gather the feedback from scouts and GMs.

I'm no GM or scout so it at least for me it is pretty clear his strengths and weaknesses. Good shooter, great athleticism, and he has a high ceiling. He needs to improve on being more consistent on both ends, putting the ball on the floor to create for himself or others and becoming something more than just a 'spot up' shooter.

Excited to have him back in what could be a great junior season.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

he's hardly even a "spot up" shooter.

I recall Och shorting 3s, so then he takes a couple steps in and hits some 18 footers. And you think that would get him going from deep, but it never did.

Bear in mind, a similar player, same size at the same position, was Mclemore, who went lotto after 1 year, with the biggest difference between him and Och being the j.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I seem to remember him having significantly better handles than Och. And I wouldn't necessarily call McLemore a great ball handler lol.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:29 pm he's hardly even a "spot up" shooter.

I recall Och shorting 3s, so then he takes a couple steps in and hits some 18 footers. And you think that would get him going from deep, but it never did.

Bear in mind, a similar player, same size at the same position, was Mclemore, who went lotto after 1 year, with the biggest difference between him and Och being the j.
I love Och.

He is inferior to Ben in every physical trait/skill. He may have a much greater BBIQ.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:10 pm Senior Och?

https://twitter.com/KUHoops/status/1369 ... 27427?s=20
A good friend of mine works with Och's Father in KC; short of completely blowing up during the NCAA Tournament...we will see senior Och.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

When you put it that way, I hope Och is gone
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

He will be back.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Pretty obvious that if he's a projected first rounder he's gone.
Right now, some/many feel he's a possible first rounder.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:08 am When you put it that way, I hope Och is gone
Bingo.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:33 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:08 am When you put it that way, I hope Och is gone
Bingo.
Och has had a pretty uneven year. It would take one hell of a stretch here for him to rise enough to leave.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:41 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:33 am
Bingo.
Och has had a pretty uneven year. It would take one hell of a stretch here for him to rise enough to leave.
I would definitely take that one hell of a stretch because it likely means Final 4.

But, kind of depends on where he is comfortable leaving. Top 45? Reachable.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think Och’s biggest question marks are eliteness and consistency.

Sure, he’s shown flashes, but I’m not sure he does anything in college ball at a level elite enough to justify a gm taking a flier.

And even if he did show something* for the next (hopefully?) 9 college postseason games, that still leaves a question of consistency.

*and what would that something even be? look automatic from 3? Finish shots at the rim? Make plays happen for others? Maybe even some sort of leadership or intangibles? Heck, just change some possessions by being the most athletic dude in the gym?

Can he do enough of that for 2-9 more games to offset the fact he otherwise hasn’t been particularly consistent, and change anyone’s minds now?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

In the UTEP game, there were like 2-3 plays where he drove to the rim and got a bucket.

Do that 5-6 times a game, and he probably moves up in the rankings a bunch.

The three point shot is fine...but you're either hot or cold.

Start taking it to the rack more and your off night's still get you 13-15 points and when you're on you can go for 20+.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:06 amCan he do enough of that for 2-9 more games to offset the fact he otherwise hasn’t been particularly consistent, and change anyone’s minds now?
Change whose minds? They already want to draft him.

I know you're not a fan, but we do this too often: "Not all star caliber? To Europe you go!"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess they already want to draft him, but draft him anything less than first round should be taken with a grain of salt?

I mean for that matter, if Och wants to go the overseas route, then what the eff is even still doing in college now?