Half Donuts

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Half Donuts

Post by ousdahl »

well normally when you call me an asshole, you just call me an asshole, and leave it at that. But this time round, thanks for the thoughtful explanation.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

You're welcome
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

kumbaya
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Unity before the tournament.
I'm into it.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

You ain't no bitch you a ho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8cHxydDb7o
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:16 pm The ick-factor equation changes dramatically, for a 20-year age gap, somewhere between 35-15 and 45-25. Where exactly it changes is in the eye of the beholder. To me, even the latter end has some residual ick.
I think this is directionally accurate. Clearly age as a number is important, but there's also an agency component, something more akin to relative equivalence in power.

45-25 is super icky, if the 45 year old is in any sort of position of authority (whether professionally, financially, whatever) over the 25 year old. If, on the other hand, the 25 year old is independent and on his/her own trajectory...not as icky!
shindig

Post by shindig »

When I was in my late 30's, I was dating a 22 year old...very attractive girl, met at O'dowds, went out for a few months. The weird factor only came in when I was hanging out with her and her friends, some of which were guys that were all 22-23. They were mostly still in college or doing nothing with their lives. It was mostly a Summer fling. She moved to Chicago that Fall. I still chat with her on FB every now and then.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, the position of authority I think is the factor ickier than the age gap necessarily is in itself (assuming it’s all legal adults here)
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

can we all agree that icky = unethical?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If a person in authority is taking advantage of his/her power for sexual proposals/advances, absolutely unethical, icky, shitty, awful.

If a person in authority finds that someone who works under/learns from is legitimately into them and doesn't force the issue with his/her authority, no, not unethical or icky.

Not something I would be comfortable with/into but if the goal is to be accepting of sexual preferences, well, you can't pick and choose or else you are a hypocrite.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:55 pm If a person in authority is taking advantage of his/her power for sexual proposals/advances, absolutely unethical, icky, shitty, awful.

If a person in authority finds that someone who works under/learns from is legitimately into them and doesn't force the issue with his/her authority, no, not unethical or icky.

Not something I would be comfortable with/into but if the goal is to be accepting of sexual preferences, well, you can't pick and choose or else you are a hypocrite.
I think the issue is all the little outs and fig leaves built into the second part here!

And the third part is some world-class bullshit, of course.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

If I suddenly find myself single, and some chick half my age is digging me, i'm all over it.

No matter what the internet deviants and malcontents say.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ok.

And if you were suddenly single, and a professor, and a student half your age came in and said, I know I’m sitting at an 89.7% but check out these tan lines, what then?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What am I professor of?
Because if I'm a professor of tan lines i'm gonna say, still looks like an 89.7 to me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ok so regarding that round up - if it’s a matter of each professor’s policy...

so if comms homegirl had said, sorry, but an A is strictly 90 percent, ok then, thanks anyway, I’ll live with my B+.

If rounding was a matter of discretion and the professor decides a missed attendance warrants a lesser grade, ok then, thanks for the explanation.

If rounding was a matter of discretion and a missed attendance warrants a lesser grade but the student respectfully asks to confirm attendance records because he is sure he attended every class and can even provide the notes he took that day as evidence, and the professor shoots back with some petty he said she said technicality like “but I said not to take notes that day” and wants to ride that as the reason you’re marking the student down a grade, well come on, now you’re just being a PhD about it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:51 pm What am I professor of?
Because if I'm a professor of tan lines i'm gonna say, still looks like an 89.7 to me.
As long as you come post about it in the half donuts thread.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 pm Ok so regarding that round up - if it’s a matter of each professor’s policy...

so if comms homegirl had said, sorry, but an A is strictly 90 percent, ok then, thanks anyway, I’ll live with my B+.

If rounding was a matter of discretion and the professor decides a missed attendance warrants a lesser grade, ok then, thanks for the explanation.

If rounding was a matter of discretion and a missed attendance warrants a lesser grade but the student respectfully asks to confirm attendance records because he is sure he attended every class and can even provide the notes he took that day as evidence, and the professor shoots back with some petty he said she said technicality like “but I said not to take notes that day” and wants to ride that as the reason you’re marking the student down a grade, well come on, now you’re just being a PhD about it.
I usually go by points, so let's say you have 4 exams worth 100 points each, a paper worth 100 points, and quizzes that total another 100 points. So there are 600 points, you have to get 540+ points to get an A.

Then I get an email from every student who got 520 points or more, wanting an A.

Then I look at the grad distribution, and look for a nice cutoff. Let's say I have students with 539, 537, 535, 528 and 526 points. I'll probably shift the scale down to make the line of A vs B go between 535 and 528 cause there's a bigger gap there.

Now in your case Ousdahl. It really comes down to the syllabus. If she said on the syllabus that rounding was a matter of discretion and attendance mattered, I'd be on your side. But if she said 90% was the cutoff for an A, and nothing else on the syllabus, then I'm on her side. Making it discretionary at all is doing you a favor.

Also, taking notes isn't really evidence of attendance. You can get the notes from a classmate.

I never factor attendance in to grades though.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I knew phd was on my side.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There are departments at KU that are telling the profs/lecterurs to be "sympathetic" and "understanding" towards students in the 20-21 academic year because of the odd setup due to COVID.

That's code for give ousdahl his unearned A.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Grade inflation is a bubble. It's going to burst. It's going to cause a crash in grades this winter if not sooner.