Would you be on the Jury?

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: Would you be on the Jury?

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Walrus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:00 pm You wouldn't believe me if I told you, so what's the point? ;)
aka, you got nothin’

you brought it up...now you’re gonna run away from it and make excuses?

figures
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

:lol:

Right. I'm going to spill my personal details to some people with nefarious intentions.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:18 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:00 pm You wouldn't believe me if I told you, so what's the point? ;)
aka, you got nothin’

you brought it up...now you’re gonna run away from it and make excuses?

figures

Oh yeah, he’s a guitar prodigy as well!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

He got caught lying (again) so he was really just joking.
Defense. Rebounds.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

What was I lying about? :lol:
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

If you can't keep track, I'm not going to help you.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Regardless of race, that was murder. People should be punished for murder.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:39 am Regardless of race, that was murder. People should be punished for murder.
Yep. I don't know why anyone wouldn't agree with that.
Problem is figuring out the difference/s between justifiable homicide, murder, and manslaughter.
That's why this case is in court and people have mixed feelings about it.

One of the many current shit shows in Chicago right now is that a cop shot and killed a 13 year old.
My guess is he didn't "need" to be shot.
https://abc7chicago.com/little-village- ... /10468372/
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021 ... e-shooting
Will be interesting to see how/if our Mayor tries to curb the potential (inevitable?) unrest.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think what happened fits this definition to a T.

"The unintentional killing of another through an eminently dangerous act committed with a depraved mind and without regard for human life."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and even then, if the killing was unintentional, I dunno what else Chauvin really intended to accomplish with his actions
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pretty sure he just assumed he was acting with impunity, even with bystanders pleading, even on video.

Given all that you’d think a single one of those cops would have thought “hey maybe we should ease up even if just to cover our own asses,” yet here we are again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think you can prove his intent - other officers there, conducting 'police business'.
My opinion is that he was frustrated with the previous altercation and wanted to be sure Floyd knew who was boss - which is depraved - but not homicidal.

If he gets the 2nd degree charge, I don't think it's unwarranted.
To me this is more than a manslaughter charge.
I think Minnesota's unique 3rd degree charge fits the definition most for me.

If 3rd, give him the max sentence of 15, and he'll likely end up in prison for 10 years.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and the fact the cops or anyone else can watch that and even pretend to call is “police business” is so sad.

If it was any other aggressor with any other victim under his knee, we’d all be appalled.

But since it’s a cop, and particularly a cop killing people of color, we give him the benefit of the doubt on intent, as if it was business as usual.

If anyone else handcuffed someone and held his knee on his neck for 9 minutes while the guy said he couldn’t breathe and cried for his mom and go unresponsive while bystanders plead, would there still be a question of intent?

but now I’m trying to put the whole system on trial.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And the only difference between this sitch and so many others is, that it got videod.

Bear in mind, the police report just said Floyd had a medical emergency
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Officers have a duty to where they should have the right to act with reasonable force that other ordinary citizens don't have.

From the evidence, it seems as if Floyd resisted arrest, so some measure of force was justifiable.
If Chauvin had stood up and shot Floyd in the head in cuffs, then you'd have more intent.
I just don't think you can prove intent in this circumstance - and it is why third degree charge makes the most sense for me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I suppose Floyd resisting by not wanting to get in the car?

So some measure of force may have been reasonable, sure.

But Floyd also said he was having a medical emergency. What duty do cops have to then treat the situation as a medical emergency?

Mind, this isn’t some violent perpetrator. The whole issue at hand was an alleged fake $20 bill, a misdemeanor that usually results in a citation. Why did they approach Floyd with guns drawn? Why did they feel it’s necessary to forcefully arrest a guy over a fake $20? What duty do cops have to deescalate, rather than escalate?

Regarding intent, I think here it’s at least a question for a jury? Cuz we’re talking 9 minutes here. It’s not some split second decision. Chauvin repeatedly heard Floyd say he couldn’t breathe, repeatedly heard bystanders pleading, didn’t relent even as Floyd went unresponsive and even as paramedics checked and found no pulse, and yet did nothing but casually readjust the pressure on Floyd’s neck. If he didn’t intend to kill him, just what did he intend otherwise?

This isn’t police work.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:14 am Officers have a duty to where they should have the right to act with reasonable force that other ordinary citizens don't have.

From the evidence, it seems as if Floyd resisted arrest, so some measure of force was justifiable.
If Chauvin had stood up and shot Floyd in the head in cuffs, then you'd have more intent.
I just don't think you can prove intent in this circumstance - and it is why third degree charge makes the most sense for me.
This is why you keep Lobby around. So that your awful takes seem less crazy
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/derek ... d=msedgntp

Veteran officer Lt. Richard Zimmerman told the court Friday that kneeling on the neck of a suspect is potentially lethal and there is "absolutely" an obligation to provide medical intervention as soon as necessary. Zimmerman called Chauvin's use of force on Floyd “totally unnecessary."
dolomite2

Post by dolomite2 »

It’s too bad that everybody couldn’t just CHILL for say 5-10 min once Floyd was in handcuffs. I mean what could happen? What could he do with his hands cuffed behind his back? Part of the problem is that cops today just seem to be in too big of a hurry especially when suspects are resisting.
On the other hand, resisting, running away from cops is another issue.
Last edited by dolomite2 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

another issue worthy of a death sentence?